Silicon vs. Foam Earplugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Isabella 123, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      The foam ones won't stay
      In my ears, the silicon ones stay in great. But I keep reading about how the foam ones offer such good protection. Are the foam ones really a lot better than the silicon ones?

The apt bldg i live in has a fire alarm system that goes off periodically (110 dB in my apt) and rings for 20 minutes or more till somebody shuts it off. Have been using the silicon earplugs but now I'm wondering if something else would be better.

2. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      if they don't stay, it means they're not inserted properly.

they have to go deep, to the point they don't go out of the ear canals and are totally invisible unless someone is looking for them.

3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I give up on foam ones. I bought macks hi fi ones that are 32 db and the fuckers wont stay in. THEN i bought rubber makes that are 27 db... And those dont stay in either!!! The only ones that stay in are the earasers but they dont provide enough protection... I gues i have small ears so im just gonna have to keep trying ones until one fits. Cant afford the custom ones yet :-/. But out of the foam.. The blue heros 33 db feel like they stay in a lil but not always.. I have trouble rolling them the proper wayyy

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      I have very small ear canals so I cannot roll the foam ones small enough. I can use the Mack ones if I roll them into a cigar shape before I stick them in and then squish them really into my ears. When the fire alarm goes off I put those in and then put on sound canceling headphones and wrap pillows around my head. I'm sure this fire alarm is how I got my tinnitus.

5. jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      Do musician ear plugs work better than foam ones?

6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah there custom fit so there like
      Guaranteed to provide 25 db protection if you go with that one. But there a bit expensive

7. jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      Did you buy some already Grace?

8. jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      I just want to protect my ears as much as I can from now on....I only have t on my left ear so I want to protect the right one as much as I can

9. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Nahh not yet... Cant afford it right now but few monthes i will