Sitting in Silent

Discussion in 'Support' started by sandra72, Nov 26, 2014.

1. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Mayby a silly quastion but a lot of people can not sit anymore in a silant room. Always whant to hear music or something else. Every moring when i wake up my t is louder. When i come down in my livingroom i dont put any sound on. Just sit in silent, only the soud in my head and the sound of my frigde etc but no music or whateffer. Is this stuppid to do?

Yesterday a saw a program on dutch tv about tinnitus and they said that u must listen to your T and embrasse it to get to that point of habituation.

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      If you are not bothered by it.......just go about your day. If it is annoying, do something about it --> make sure there is more background sound.

Which program was that?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Altijd wat op ned. 2.

I am not bothered als the time but now very nervus. My douchter has her drivingexamination.

4. Revolrex33

Revolrex33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      I did this by running a bath. Then shut off all electric in the house. Put your head in the water - face up obviously.... :) Then once the water covers over your ears you ONLY hear the T. I try to "find it" in my conscience and understand it. When I bring my head up out of the water you will hear ONLY the T for a bit and then it will fade in the back ground because you have identified What iT is.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Bilgato
      Lurking

Bilgato Member

Tinnitus Since:
      A long time now.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hard life
      Nothing is stupid to do, do whatever you like. If you feel like you need or want sound, do it. If you just want to listen to the inside of your head, then that's ok too.

Sometimes I just listen to it, as long as it's not vibrating and hurting I don't need outside sound much. But when it vibrates and starts to hurt, then having faucets, fans or music on can help distract me a little from the hurting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      sandra72
      A lot of it has to do with how well (or how much) you have accepted both the sound of your T and the idea of your T. If you have not completely accepted those two things then just sitting there listening to it will likely make you crazy (angry, frustrated, obsessed, tormented). If that is the case, then masking is a good idea until you can get your brain calmed down (and not focusing on your T); however, if you are able to sit in silence (only you and your T) and are able to think and focus on whatever you want (in spite of T) then rock-on (you're good, you've embraced it)!

Mark

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. MattL
      Jaded

MattL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's

No definitely not stupid. In fact i think it's a good idea. I have come to the point where i can actually get into deep meditation without thinking about my roaring t. Hopefully one day i will be able to do this permanently.

8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      A few years ago I would take a chair, put it in the middle of a quiet room in the quiet part of the day. I did this purposely - in other words, the chair, the room, the time.. on purpose. Then I sat in the quietness every day for 1/2 hour listening beyond the T for quiet. It's difficult, like holding a hot pan. It worked for me for a while. As time went on, I was noticing the T again. I had hopes that this exercise would work. It didn't after a while. I thought hard about what to do next. I joined this forum, that was the most important thing I've done for my T, ever. With 40 years of T behind me, I was still bothered a lot by it.
      Someone here on the forum explained there is a technique that forces the habituation. I liked that idea. Even before I read this, I felt there MUST be something I can do. The idea of waiting around for habituation did not click with me. So I started gauging my reaction instead of my T. No more describing it, listening for it, fearing it, etc... Now when I hear it I immediately ask myself what my reaction is. At first, I'd answer, "I'm scared and bothered." (Notice there is NO mention of the T sound). Now, months later, I only answer, "There it is, I could care less." An honest answer is required. Absolutely no description or measurement of the T is allowed. After a while, a short while, it seems I grew tired of telling myself how I felt about T and the T went away. OK, I hear it right now, because I'm talking about it. I only have to measure my response once or twice a week now, compared to the first week when I was doing this about 30 times a day. I was VERY surprised and happy to have the T melt into the background, or the blackness, or wherever it goes. And for the first time in a LONG time, I began to feel happy and relaxed.
      I've had T since the mid 70's thanks to loud music.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      I'm sitting in silence. Well, almost.
      But it's an octave lower and very quiet.
      I don't get it. How can I have such a quiet day, when yesterday was hell and tomorrow, if I don't oversleep will also be quiet.
      I took the same meds as any day but the cycle continues.
      And it always comes back soft and builds hard and super loud.
      Is the build my anxiety?
      I've taken anti anxiety meds on the bad day which made it tolerable but not go away.
      It gets so loud that nothing masks it and I lose faith I can survive !
      But right now...quiet.
      Why?!
      I'm so distraught and depressed of the cycle it's hard to enjoy the quiet day.
      What a mess.

10. MattL
      Jaded

MattL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's

These type of days make it all the more confusing as to why there is no cure or reliable medication for this condition. If we can still have days like this, why hasn't anyone ever come up with a plausible reason why it happens? With all the advanced medical treatments and surgery we have, still it seems nobody fully understands the workings of the inner ear.

We as sufferers all know that there is a way to overcome t, because we often experience days where it is almost completely gone. The not knowing how to overcome it is probably the most frustrating aspect of all. :banghead:

11. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      I agree, but the problem is that it's a function of the brain, not the ear at this point.
      They still don't know a lot about the brain and its malfunctions. But since they have epilepsy drugs that help so many in that area, why can't they find something that helps us. Something that doesn't have crazy side effects like Pogita.

• Agree Agree x 1