Six Days Into Tinnitus — Loud Sounds Irritate Me — Will This Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ManuSony, Nov 1, 2018.

1. ManuSony

ManuSony Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi All;

I am on 6th day into this tinnitus, it is mild, usually bothers me in the night or when it is quiet around me, for 2-3 days now I have been thinking or noticing that loud sounds like phones etc. are irritating me (may be just that I perceive it as such) because I am stressed out.

I am worried because of reading things online that it is a permanent thing or goes away in months/years etc.

I need your advice and facts like does this really go away or will I get used to it etc?

Thanks again!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Maybe you have hyperacusis
      love glynis

3. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I also had hyperacusis in the beginning, but for me it resolved very quickly (I know I am one of the lucky ones there). Just be careful and buy some good foam earplugs and also use them. If your tinnitus is mild and it bothers you just at night with time maybe it fades.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ManuSony

ManuSony Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am just confused because maybe I am just trying to protect my hearing...

Am I overthinking of the sounds irritating me?

If I'm just being overprotective, like I mean if I go out, I don't care :)

I have no issues, just when I think of it I feel it's loud and may be damading my ear...

What are your thoughts?

5. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      If these sounds suddenly bother you that you probably have some form of hyperacusis. Before my tinnitus started I was suddenly bothered by dishes and my car radio and I thought it was just anxiety. But when my tinnitus started I couldn‘t watch a video on my phone at night. However hyperacusis faded within a few days.

If you read on the forum for most people hyperacusis gets better, if you don‘t get (another) acoustic trauma (I don‘t know what caused your tinnitus)

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Most likely no. Avoid these sounds and/or use protection.

It is very likely you will get better within a month.

You are also more at risk of getting a setback from now on, even if you will feel normal again in a few months.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Check out the thread below where I summarize everything (27 tips) I learned about managing tinnitus after reading the posts on this forum for the past year.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

This is called hyperacusis. It ought to go away within the next 6-9 months.

I suggest that you listen to the signals from your body and try to avoid loud/moderate noises that don't feel right to you.