Slamming Doors — Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by Themoon, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Themoon

Themoon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I was at home in my room yesterday changing my foam earplugs (I wear them almost all the day cause I have severe H) with the wood door of my room closed and the door of my brother's room next to mine (around 4,5 m) slammed.

I was surprised by the noise but it didn't hurt me. So I stayed in my room, didn't already put my earplugs in and then the same door slammed another time, maybe 10 mns after.

My ears are not hurting (cause I have pain due to my H) but I don't know today my T in my left ear is just disturbing me.

This is a frequency I already heard but it hasn't settled down yet from this morning and I was just thinking if the slammed door can cause this spike? It's an annoying eeeeeeeeeeee, which I hate.

A Hyperacusis fellow frightened me with "maybe you should take steroids".

What do you think about this?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My longest spike as a result of a slammed door lasted for three days...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Themoon

Themoon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      So has your T settled down? I'm so f***ed up, yesterady was good but today here we go again. I have some random spikes from time to time like this but when I have no triggered noise, I'm not fraking out. But the slammed door I don't know. Thank God it wasn't just next to me and was in my room, but still, I clearly heard it.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Themoon

Themoon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Anyone here who can relate to this? Honestly I'm just freaking out.

5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      This was not next to you. Yes it's loud but you don't take steroids for that. Just try to forget this event.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The one due to a slamming door was my very first big spike. It was gone by day 4, and then my T began getting a little better. Unfortunately, then I got a spike after another noise event. I am still working through that one. I asked at this forum, and learned that spikes can often last longer than a week.

I am very paranoid when it comes to loud noises, but I believe that a permanent spike as a result of a slammed door is unlikely.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      And noises like that WILL happen, no matter how careful you are. Nothing much to do then, just getting on with other positive things.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      After that door slammed near me, I learned my lesson to never take my earplugs out when I am outside of my home. Every single time I am outside of my home, something (loud) happens that makes me feel good about wearing earplugs.

9. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Yeah but you'll want to get rid of them at one point. I do that... I go out and there's always something. Because people are just noisy. Can't blame them.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Themoon

Themoon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      True.

F***ing T and F***** H.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Themoon

Themoon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I'm paranoid too, more than paranoïd lol, though sometimes I am able to relax.
      K, I see spikes can last more than a week.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Themoon

Themoon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      That what I was thinking at the beginning.

13. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Also had a door slamming on me just now. Guess it happens..

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      @Themoon

Your going to get past this, I agree with Bill Bauer & Foncky very unlikely that this is going to be a problem. Try to get your mind on something else, stay busy, and try to get in as much sleep as you can tonight. By tomorrow morning your not even going to even notice it. And you certainly don't need predisone. Try and not give spikes the power to linger on, by shifting your thoughts on to a different interest right away, that's how you stop spikes right in their tracks. It was a door slamming, that's all, it happens all of the time, it's a part of normal every day life. Now if you were in a cement stairwell and a steel fire door slammed shut against a steel door frame, MAYBE,,,? I would question it, but a wooden bedroom door ? Very doubtful. The sound freaked you out of course, and now your mind is playing tricks on you, that kind of thing happens to me all the time. No big deal.

Not that your going to need it, but Good luck, I'm going to check this thread in the morning. And see how your doing.

Louie

Quietatnight

• Like Like x 1
    15. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      I just watched the movie Mash just a couple of hour's ago, and I had the TV a little louder then I generally do. Came to a loud part when they were playing the Football game, and the refs kept blowing their whistle over and over that was very annoying to me, but I did not give it much thought at the time. The movie ended and I noticed that my tinnitus was louder. I got up, did some work around house, and jumped on my treadmill for about 30 minutes. And then wrote the above message in here, and now my tinnitus spike is already gone down. I did NOT give it any power, or time to stay around. I could have kept on dwelling on it, and I'm sure that it would have just stay with me and wrecked the rest of my night, but I did not let it, so I won. This is what I was talking about in my last post.

I truly believe that this CAN work with a lot of the spikes, that really aren't that bad, that we run into.

Just food for thought

Louie

Quietatnight

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Themoon If the spike ends, please let us know about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Themoon

Themoon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Hi guys, @quietatnight @Bill Bauer

Thanks a lot for the support, I really appreciate it as I really was freaking out these last days. I spoke to my psychologist (I see her every week) and she has a bit reassured me saying that she experienced extreme fatigue and her ears were ringing (it as a non permanent T, the usual 2s T you get when you have healthy ears). So she told me that it could be due to tiredness, to not focus all about my ears and not to worry (i.e the slamming door incident).

@quietatnight

Thank you so much for your words, it really soothen my mind when I read it when waking up. Yesterday my T was just jumping to the roof! I was like but WTH it is? Before sleeping, I drank a lot, put some olive oil on a Q-tip and apply it gently in my ear canals. Sometimes dryness can increase your tinnitus.

You're right, I was dwelling a lot on my T and just thinking about the slamming doors and so on. But you know when you have H, you are more vulnerable to shocks than someone with regular T. Got even some anxiety the first day so I took an anxiolytic to calm me down which was some ages I didn't take some medication. The guy who told me to take some steroids for that just triggered my anxiety.

It's not the first time I hear slamming doors at home even my with severe H. Though I don't like slamming doors, I feel safer wearing foam earplugs and that's why I don't dwell that much on wooden slamming doors and therefore move on. Moreover, I read that a typical door (not the fire steel door) when slamming is around 70 (maybe 80?) db but it's in the medium range of sound (which is less agressive than a high-pitched sound).

I had a good night of sleep , my T is lower this morning, but still got a bit of this high-pitched tone. I was checking the different tones I was hearing (is it sthg I already heard? Is it a new one etc...) which got me back like in the beginning but I stopped it immediately by reading your post.

My main concern now is my right ear, putting foam earplug is really hurting my ear physically, independently of my H. That's why I put them off when the door slammed, cause, it just hurt me, I needed to let my ears to take a break. But I can't survive without my foam earplugs, I need them to go on with life and doing activities. So maybe I should see the doctor next week. (My theory is that the pressure of the foam earplugs is maybe too strong, I wear them everyday since 8 months now).

It really feels good to have some support, and the mind is so powerful that it can lead you to the worse like to the best.