Sleep Architecture Disrupted in Tinnitus Sufferers

Discussion in 'Research News' started by jazz, Oct 6, 2013.

1. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Everyone knows how important sleep is to people with tinnitus. Sleep strategies, medications, and supplements--all these topics engender frequent discussion on TT and for good reason: getting a good night's sleep is the most important single factor that affects tinnitus intensity for many people. Below is a sleep study comparing people with tinnitus to people without. The results are not surprising: sleep architecture is disrupted in people with tinnitus. This study is an excellent beginning in understanding the relationship between sleep and tinnitus. Hopefully, more sleep studies will follow--including one that looks at people with active tinnitus and those who have habituated. It would be useful to know if habituation turns off some of those neural networks that affect not only sleep, but also general cognitive functioning.

Here's the abstract:

Ear Hear. 2013 Jul-Aug;34(4):503-7. doi: 10.1097/AUD.0b013e31827bc436.

Sleep architecture variation in chronic tinnitus patients.

Attanasio G, Russo FY, Roukos R, Covelli E, Cartocci G, Saponara M.

Source
      Department of Sensory Organs, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy. giuseppe.attanasio@uniroma1.it

Abstract
      OBJECTIVES:
      The aim of the study was to evaluate the sleep architecture and its possible alterations in chronic tinnitus patients, and investigate any possible correlation between sleep architecture modifications and tinnitus perception, adaptation, and the degree of discomfort in these patients.

DESIGN:
      In a prospective, case-control, nonrandomized study, 18 patients affected by chronic tinnitus were compared with a homogeneous control group consisting of 15 healthy subjects. The experimental group was enrolled at the Tinnitus ambulatory at Policlinico Umberto I Department of Sensory Organs, and the control group was composed of voluntary subjects. A full overnight polysomnography was performed on both groups. Tinnitus patients answered two questionnaires: the tinnitus handicap inventory (THI) and a questionnaire concerning their subjective sleep quality, tinnitus intensity before bedtime, tinnitus intensity at remembered nocturnal wake-up periods, and tinnitus intensity at morning wake-up. Controls completed only the sleep quality questionnaire.

RESULTS:
      All tinnitus patients had a statistically significant alteration in sleep stages. Average percentage of stage 1 + stage 2 was 85.4% ± 6.3, whereas, in the control group, the average percentage of stage 1 + stage 2 was 54.9 ± 11.2 (p < 0.001). Stages 3 and 4 and rapid eye movement (REM) sleep was lacking in all tinnitus patients with an average percentage of 6.4 ± 4.9 of REM sleep, and 6.4 ± 4.9 of stages 3 + 4. The control group showed an average percentage of 21.5 ± 3.6 of REM sleep and 21.5 ± 3.6 of stages 3 + 4 (p < 0.001). No correlation was found between the decrease of REM and the increase of the THI score in the tinnitus group (r = 0.04). However, a mild correlation was found between the increase of light sleep (stage 1 + stage 2) and the THI score reported by the tinnitus group. Therefore, patients with light sleep report a higher THI score (r = 0.4).

CONCLUSIONS:
      The significant alteration of sleep parameters assessed in tinnitus patients underlines the necessity to consider an adequate therapy that could improve patients' sleep quality and also opens avenues for further investigations.

• Informative Informative x 9
    2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I added Remeron(mirtazapine) to my arsenal for improved sleep. I took 15mg along with Zolpidem 10mg & had a dramatic improvement in my tinnitus today. Yesterday my T was a loud piercing ringing that I could barely stand.
      I think quality REM sleep = much lower tinnitus the following day IMHO. (not eliminating it totally of course)

I changed to mirtazapine from Nortriptyline because of bad dry mouth of the latter. I also heard good things about the med from Golly,Karl, & others. I will update if it continues to work well. I am still looking into proton pump inhibitors affecting tinnitus as well. I seem to have loud hissing today and may be noise activated--frustrating.:(

-just1morething

• Like Like x 2
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Have you thought about dropping Zolpidem and only using Remeron? Do you take Zolpidem every night? Doesn't it build up tolerance?

Just thinking aloud here, as many find sleep relief solely with Remeron, with no need to use other drugs.

4. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Yes, I might go that route eventually, but am probably addicted to Zolpidem for now. I did not sleep well last night ( was up till 2:30 am) so I don't know if bad day today is partially cause of that, or just noise activated tinnitus from operating combine.

I did use Remeron 30mg last night, but it did not make me sleepy for some reason. The previous night I slept great with only 15mg. Sometimes helps to take a shower at night to get your body relaxed before going to bed.

I am not a happy camper with my current loud hissing sound in my head.:(

• Hug Hug x 3
    5. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      @Markku

I used Zolpidem the first eight weeks of tinnitus. It builds up tolerance very fast. In the beginning I was totally wasted when I took them. It even "cured" my tinnitus. That effect stopped after about four weeks. After eight weeks the "buzz" I got from them stopped too.

6. spleen
      Balanced

spleen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Since I got my tinnitus, I never had difficulties to sleep, even with 2 times tinnitus aggravations during the past 2 years, and I never took medication. However, I have the impression to be more tired than usual every day since I got the tinnitus, maybe because tinnitus affects the quality of sleep, I don´t know.

Are you guys getting night medication to actually begin to sleep or to have a better quality sleep (more regenerative sleep) or something else ? Is it the norm not to be able to sleep because of tinnitus ?

7. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      I take it just to get to sleep. When I'm sleeping, not even a bomb can wake me up.

8. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I envy you meeruf for being such a good sleeper. I'm that kind of person that is awakened in the early hours by any kind of sound. And once I'm awake at night, it's much harder for me to fall asleep again. In the evening I'm usually that tired that I fall asleep despite of the tinnitus. I have always been a light sleeper, but I have been wondering if I have become an even lighter sleeper because of the tinnitus.

I use Remeron and it helps me fall asleep. Unfortunately it doesn't keep me from waking up during the night.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Sounds just like me riikka - I wish I could sleep all night I waken often and can find it takes me an hour or more to go back to sleep. I have had all nighters with zero sleep but that is when anxiety rockets.

I've just been given a new AD to take at night that helps sleep so far it's helped me get through a tough sleepless couple of months. I just can't amagine ever being able to sleep without some tablet to help !

I've had zoplicone and been very careful how I take them to prevent dependency and addiction I feel much more positive on the AD than zoplicone.

If I can sleep well ad without fear of failure I can deal with this T !

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I hear you, Cher. I had sleep problems about nine years before I got tinnitus but now they are even worse. It s getting harder to fall asleep even with meds. Used to just be the night waking. I usually feel tired during the day, I am sure in part due to low quality sleep.

Had my first party at my house last night since my tinnitus an it Just exhausted me, with my ears roaring the whole time. I was totally wiped out when I crawled into bed...and still couldn't fall asleep until 3 am. I feel so helpless, my mom is visiting and it's hard for me to be cheery and social. Today was the first time I cried in awhile.

• Hug Hug x 3
    11. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I have found a sleep remedy that has proven to be very effective for me. It's not habit forming. I use a combo of two herbs. Passionflower extract is like valium. I use only half of the recommended dose and also something called Rhodiola Recharge. It is a combo of herbs that help with adrenals. It was recommended to me by a woman's health nurse practitioner, for stress and trouble sleeping and anxiety. She told me it would be fine for me to take now that I am experiencing T. These are something I use at night...every night. No drugged feeling when I wake. I love this stuff. I can wake in the night, and get right back to sleep. I've recommended it to all of my girlfriends as we are always stressed. This can be taken by men too. Just wanted to share, if just one other person finds it works for them, it's worth mentioning.

• Informative Informative x 2
    12. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks Lulu. I am trying out anything that sounds helpful and safe, so will give this a whirl.

13. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Polysomnographic Findings in Patients With Chronic Tinnitus
      Liane Sousa Teixeira, Carlos Augusto Costa Oliveira, Ronaldo Campos Granjeiro, Carine Petry, Adra Brasil Leitão Travaglia, Fayez Bahmad, Jr
      Hospital de Base do Distrito Federal, Brasília, Brazil
      Universidade de Brasilia, Brasília, Brazil

Corresponding Author: Liane Sousa Teixeira, SQN 305 Bloco C, Residencial Henrique Dias, Brasilia, DF 70737030, Brazil. Email: liane_st21@hotmail.com
      First Published October 8, 2018 Research Article
      https://doi.org/10.1177/0003489418805766

Abstract
      Objectives:

Tinnitus is an auditory sensation in the absence of any external stimulus. It has a negative impact on quality of life and interferes with concentration, sleep, social activities, and even emotional stability. The aim of this study was to compare sleep architecture in patients with and without chronic subjective tinnitus.

Methods:
      This was an observational, noninterventional, and prospective study. The sample consisted of 50 individuals of both sexes aged 20 to 60 years. Twenty-five patients with tinnitus constituted the study group, and for comparison, a control group consisting of 25 patients without reported tinnitus was formed. The patients underwent polysomnography and were administered the Epworth Sleepiness Scale, Tinnitus Handicap Inventory, and visual analog scales.

Results:
      The group with tinnitus had higher mean values in sleep stages 1 and 2, and lower mean values in stage 3 and in rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, compared with the control group, and this difference was significant only for REM sleep (P = .031). This demonstrates that patients with tinnitus remained longer in shallow sleep and spent less time in deep sleep (stage 3) and REM sleep.

Conclusions:
      This study shows that patients with tinnitus have significant alterations in REM sleep latency as well as the REM sleep phase.

Keywords: sleep, Tinnitus Handicap Inventory, Epworth Sleepiness Scale, obstructive sleep apnea syndrome, tinnitus, otology, otolaryngology

Source: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0003489418805766?journalCode=aora

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 3
    14. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Clinical research on sleep quality in patients with tinnitus].

Objective:To understand the sleep quality of patients with tinnitus, and to investigate the correlationship between tinnitus and sleep and analyze the influencing factors.

Method:The patients with tinnitus as the main complaint used as the experimental group were 263 cases. One hundred and seventy respondents with no tinnitus complaint were selected as the control group. They were assessed by general information survey, Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index, the Hamilton Anxiety Scale, the Hamilton Depression Scale, pure tone audiometry and acoustic immittance measurement.

Result:There were 122 cases(46.4%) with sleep disorders in the experimental group and 49 cases(28.8%) with sleep disorders in the control group, and the difference was statistically significant(P=0.000); The anxiety and depression were the influencing factors of sleep quality in patients with tinnitus, it was found that gender had influence on sleep latency and the course of disease and hyperlipidemia had influence on sleep disorders.

Conclusion:Tinnitus patients were prone to sleep disorders, and the accompanying anxiety and depression were the important factors affecting sleep quality.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31623044

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Association of sleep terror, walking or talking and tinnitus

Background/purpose
      Sleep disturbances are associated with chronic tinnitus in humans. However, whether parasomnias are associated with chronic tinnitus is unclear. This study aims to investigate this issue.

Methods
      Clinical data for 2907 subjects who had visited the Sleep Center of a community hospital in Taiwan during November 2011 to June 2017 were collected retrospectively. The association of chronic tinnitus with sleep terror, sleep walking, and sleep talking was analyzed using Pearson's Chi-Square test and multivariate logistic regression.

Results
      The cohort age ranged from 7 to 91 years old, with a mean age of 49.8 years (standard deviation, 14.3 years). The cohort included 1937 patients without and 970 patients with chronic tinnitus. The percentage of patients who experienced sleep terror was significantly higher among those with tinnitus than those without (p < 0.001). The percentage of patients reporting sleep walking was slightly higher in subjects with tinnitus than in those without, with borderline significance (p = 0.063). The percentage of patients experiencing sleep talking did not differ significantly between the groups. Multivariate logistic regression also showed that sleep terror but not sleep walking was significantly associated with tinnitus after adjusting for age, sex, hearing loss, and insomnia. After adjusting for other factors, subgroup analysis by age showed that sleep terror was significantly positively associated with chronic tinnitus in patients aged 20–44 years but not in those aged 7–19 or >45 years.

Conclusion
      Sleep terror is positively associated with chronic tinnitus, especially in young adults.

Full article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0929664620301066

16. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma