Sleeping with the Head Elevated

Discussion in 'Support' started by Damien Cavanagh, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Damien Cavanagh
      No Mood

Damien Cavanagh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Distorted PA at a club
      When I lie down in bed, my tinnitus goes mad (this left-ear hiss goes tonal, the right-ear whoosh sounds like a tsunami). On a good night, it calms down but remains louder than when I'm standing. On bad nights I have to take Zolpidem. And always in the morning, the hiss is very loud.

A lot of other posters seem to have this experience too.

I'm bought a giant, firm, wedge-shaped (maybe 40deg) pillow so that I can sleep elevated, like in a hospital bed.
      The tinnitus doesn't go mad now, but of course I have to get used to sleeping in this posture (I've been waking up in the middle of the night lying flat on the mattress :) ) And in the morning, the hiss isn't quite as loud. I'm hoping that this could eventually bring the tinnitus down a bit overall (gotta have hope!)

Has anybody else here tried sleeping with the head elevated?

• Like Like x 1
    2. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic drugs/ maximum stressful job
      @Damien Cavanagh. Great post. My tinnitus is so much louder while lying down. Have you experimented with this more since February? As soon as I get out of bed, 10 minutes later, my tinnitus is down to an ok level. However, on the nights I miss a lot of sleep I'm tired enough it's louder than normal through the day. I've thought about sleeping in my recliner but, lol, the living room is the only place my massive rabbit hutch fits and the bunny would keep me awake all night doing bunny-stuff. So Ive kept from sleeping in the recliner. I don't sleep reclined in bed well. Like you, I'd just end up on my back/side as soon as I'm out. Pillows to prop me up sounds uncomfortable enough, I'd probably loose sleep just the same:notworthy: My poor husband works super hard all day, then puts up with my up and downs all night. He hasn't complained, but I'm going on over a year of this.

3. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @blissaliss Hi, I do not know what has happened I cant private message you!!!! I got your message and I have tried to reply, not only to yourself but others and I get an error message code saying message can not be sent it contains spam... It does not contain spam.....I get that for every message I try to send....I have contacted the administrators nearly daily for the last week about this issue....but nobody relies....I am sorry I hope you get this message as I do not know how to make contact with people....I am not ignoring anyone....This is very stressful....I might have to rejoin if they do not fix it under a different name .....I do not know what to do!!!!
      Hopefully this message gets to you...

4. Daniel S.
      Curious

Daniel S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure, Music, Sporting Events
      I've been experimenting with different pillow types (as much as my budget will allow to me, at least), and I have to admit that I haven't had much luck finding one that helps reduce the ringing at night.

Melatonin has been somewhat helpful for me over the years, though. Not a magical cure by any stretch, but it does usually help me get to sleep faster, especially when I use it in conjunction with a white noise generator or those Youtube nature sound videos that I can't get enough of! Might be worth asking your doctor about it if you think you might want to try it.

5. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I find it helps me some. Otherwise it can get worse laying on sides or head flat. Not always but when it's acting up (mainly my low end) it seems to help a little.