Small Garage Band Outdoor Concert at Pub — How Big Is the Risk of Tinnitus Worsening?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ruth Gil, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      Not a native English speaker, so I apologize in advance.

I'm 16 and I got mild tinnitus and hyperacusis three days ago from using my earbuds a lot. It particularly bothers me when I go to bed.

My boyfriend wants me to go with him to two outdoor concerts next month. I was wondering how big the risk of a spike is even if I wear protective ear plugs and stand far away from the bands. Any advice for a young tinnitus sufferer? :)

2. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I would not do it, no band in the world is worth your mental and physical health. In 10 years you'll forget about the concert, but T might still be with you.

• Agree Agree x 7
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Numerous people had reported getting their T to spike (sometimes permanently) after taking similar risk (and wearing earplugs). Many people had also indicated that they took the risk and ended up being ok. The risk might be in the 1%-5% range. It is low, but is it really worth it?! Is there Anything that feels So good that it would make sense to risk making your body uninhabitable?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I would not do it. Your ears need at least a year to heal before exposing them to more noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Classic scaremongering. I’d go mate, I go to gigs all the time. Wear earplugs, don’t stand next to speakers and you’ll be fine. Enjoy!!!

Read over my other posts of “actual” experiences rather than listen to people saying they wouldn’t go.

I post lists of what I’ve been to, so far this year.

Paradise Lost
      At the drive in
      Pearl Jam
      Testament

Going to see incubus in a few weeks time. I’ve tinnitus for 12 years, hit hundreds of shows since. With caution you’ll be ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      If you got it 3 days ago I would wait a bit to see if it settles down before going to noisy venues... I understand Gregs remark that you should not let tinnitus ruin your social life.. But if it's only 3 days ago.. I would check if you also have hearing loss.. Because if it is such short time ago there are still options for treatment (like prednisolone) . Anyway . Good luck.. Let us know how it is going..

• Like Like x 1
    7. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I wouldnt go if you gave me a million dollars. 1 hour of fun =/ lifelong suffering and misery which you couldn't imagine in your wildest dreams.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I've been to numerous concerts with ear plugs with no permanent increase.

• Like Like x 2
    9. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Usually I'm all for people going out, living life and enjoying themselves as long as they understand the risk and use proper hearing protection like custom molded musician's ear plugs.

But you seem to be just days into your tinnitus experience. I would suggest against it: let your ears heal up. You're super young and have potential to make a full recovery. I wouldn't put yourself at risk for 6 months or maybe even a year. You'll have plenty of opportunities to go to music gigs in the future.

I'd suggest going to a doctor or ENT, getting a hearing test and exploring the option of doing oral corticosteroids like prednisolone. These can be effective in preventing permanent damage to your hearing and possibly prevent your tinnitus from becoming chronic. This is something that needs to be done immediately though as the longer you leave it untreated, and higher the chance that your tinnitus will become chronic.

Google "oral steroids and hearing loss prevention" if you want more information.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. TomPearson
      Transparent

TomPearson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Wouldn't recommend it, there is still hope for you that it will go away, however, this could make it permanent.

11. Alex99

Alex99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No one can really answer your question. We really have no idea if it is safe or not.

First of all, how loud are these 'garage bands' ? How far back do you feel is far enough? and what earplugs will you be using and do you know how to properly insert them? (And take them out) if you don't check you tube for instructions as there is a right and very wrong way ;)

Based on my experience it seems everyone is so different, so I recommend with going by what your ears tell you next month.

Most importantly ditch the earbuds - I wish there was a graphic type warning as to what 'hearing damage' actually consists of. So many people believe it is just hearing loss. :/

Good Luck!

(And be careful who you take advice from, in particular those who are very negative)

• Like Like x 1
    12. Nathan
      No Mood

Nathan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music, Concert, Bad Luck
      I'm also 16 years old, and I got my T from a concert. I wouldn't risk it this early in my opinion, wait it out and see if it gets better. I would wait at least 6-12 months before going to any more concerts, even with earplugs. You also have H, and even with earplugs, loud music probably would still probably sound uncomfortable and perhaps distorted.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont think ears heal. A bruise, a cut, broken arm, sprain,.etc yes but ears, eyes, and brain dont. This also has to do with the brain and not with ears per se.

14. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am 100% certain that by June 2019 you will make a huge recovery. Your T will be very mild and you will be habituated.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    15. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      Brains heal.

16. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Well... they do transform, but not always in the right direction. Plasticity is not always beneficial... hence Tinnitus... :-(

I don't know that I'd call it "healing" in that case, but they definitely do undergo physical changes in terms of neuronal connectivity graph.