Small Temporary Threshold Shift

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathan, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Nathan
      No Mood

Nathan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music, Concert, Bad Luck
      Last night I went to a football game/homecoming. I originally brought my earplugs, and put them in as sounds got louder, but my parents told me to take them out, so I did. I was exposed to sounds over 95 decibels for 10 minutes or so. After that, I put my plugs back in.

After the game, I noticed my hearing was ever so slightly muffled. I checked my hearing with my hearing test, and I could no longer hear 4 kHz at 0 decibels. I took curcumin and magnesium shortly after. That night, I had a brief spike that was VERY high pitched (15000-16000 hertz), with an additional tone at 4 kHz.

The blackboard-screeching tones are 95 percent gone, as well as the 4 kHz tone, and I can (barely) hear at 4 kHz again. My big question is, can this minor event do permanent damage?

2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I don't know your age, I'm assuming you're a teen, but in my humble opinion that's old enough to know when you need to wear earplugs (particularly since you have tinnitus) and I would have been wearing them myself.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Wher
      Where did you do the hearing test

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      yes it did do permanent damage, ribbon synapses got killed.

5. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      Not a chance lol. There is muffled from an acoustic trauma which apparently no one on this site has actually had.... because if you did... you would know. Then there is muffled that is psychosomatic or is caused by a tightening of the muscles in the inner ear. First off... there is no way it was a continuous 95 dB. I went to a Minnesota Vikings game recently (one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL) the average for the game was under 90. And there was no continuous plus 95dB sound. Maybe an impulse here or there. Secondly... if you did have an acoustic trauma... it takes either a grenade type explosion or something less like a gun... but then it would take days for the fullness to develop because it's a reaction to the death of the hair cells. And as we know from all the papers we read that can take up to a month.

Also at the other posters of this thread: if you don't understand basic biology than don't be pushing people down extreme rabbit holes. In the absence of an impulse trauma... it would take days for the fullness to develop.

As far as your TTS well did you know that can be caused by tight muscles? Probably because you were anxious.... that's why your muscles in your ear tighten up. Also 0 dB doesn't mean normal or no loss. That is simple not how to read the scale. Uggggggggggg

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathan
      No Mood

Nathan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      AudCal app on IPhone.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathan
      No Mood

Nathan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      :(

At least I can still hear mosquito tones in background noise.

• Hug Hug x 1