Smoking and Pulsatile Tinnitus

Good for you for quitting smoking! I'm glad to hear it has reduced your pulsatile tinnitus. Please continue to keep us posted on how you're doing. Maybe your PT will go away after you've been off the cigarettes for awhile (?).

I quit tobacco smoking 2 years ago and can't really tell much difference in T but it made every thing else a lot better. I don't have a lot of hate in me but to think of the way they sell cigs on every corner of every town that kill millions with slow death. it took me 40 years to get thru my head that it was sure death coming up if did not quit. Now I have a lot better smell, taste, wind, and sex!

Lots say quitting smoking has made no difference to the T what so ever ,so gone back to smoking ,if that's what they want to do ,lots say it helps with the stress levels ,then I say do what you need to .Im teetotal never drank period ,but hey if Glass of wine etc helps one and the T go for it ,that's not changed the T by stopping that either so lots have said .Were all dealing with T best we can ,what ever gets you through your days with T if it helps .
Why did you stop smoking John after 40 yrs ,was it the T initially.Curious .My husband quit 12 yrs ago ,he's asthmatic with T ,still misses smoking he says .

I can say that smoking makes T worse and if you quit smoking your T will reduce or maybe your T stop completely.
Smoking doing damage in hearing.
For example yesterday i had HF T severity 4 after smoking 2 cigs went to severity 9 immediatelly.
Today i have not smoked and iam in severity 0-1.
My baseline is more than 0-1 but if i take steroids for short time get good sleep not smoke and not hear any sound severity goes to 0db.
For me smoking is deleterious poison for hearing and T it has many ototoxic substances.

I stop smoking 4 years ago and now the T is louder! But i quit using the E cig... I am slowly weening myself off of that! Not sure of what is going on! I know it is a very annoying thing to have lived with as long as I have. Nothing seems to help! Nobody understands to stress and sleepless nights. I am glad to know that I am not alone in this. I have been searching for information and all details ends in a no cure and get along with the T as best as you can. I hope that I can get some support by reading someone elses trials and errors. I really am tired of dealing with it by myself.

Have you observer an increase in T after ecig ?
Some ecig substances are ototoxic like propylene glycol and some flavors.
Also nicotine affects T.

Yes,:( It has increased after quitting the regular cigs. I know that the Ecig can be a cause and affect as well. my goal now is to get off of these too! but it took me almost a life time to stop the other... so I am proud of the progress i have made. So is my family. :) Thanks for your response. I am praying for a healing of the T. That one day I will wake up... it will be gone.:LOL: Until then I just manage it with other distractions. TV, music, walking and exercise.
  • :LOL:

Hi, Patty,

We're glad you've joined us, and you'll find lots of information and support here. You are doing many of the right things -- distractions like TV, music, walking, etc., really help you take your mind off the tinnitus. Also, there are supplements you can take that may help a bit, such as magnesium, niacin, vinpocetine, NAC, etc.

Have you had a hearing test recently? If you have hearing loss, it's possible you would benefit from some of the newer hearing aids/maskers that are currently out there.

If a cure is found, we'll hear about it here on Tinnitus Talk!

I'm from Georgia, too (Atlanta area) -- so, welcome from a fellow Georgian!

Best wishes,
Karen

Yes,:( It has increased after quitting the regular cigs. I know that the Ecig can be a cause and affect as well. my goal now is to get off of these too! but it took me almost a life time to stop the other... so I am proud of the progress i have made. So is my family. :) Thanks for your response. I am praying for a healing of the T. That one day I will wake up... it will be gone.:LOL: Until then I just manage it with other distractions. TV, music, walking and exercise.
  • :LOL:

Increased with stopping regular cigs or increased because you started electronic cigs after stopping regular cigs ?

Smoking is VERY BAD FOR YOU, but I am sure you know this.... maybe smoking was starting to affect your blood pressure thus creating pulsatile tinnitus!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now