So I Just Recently Started to Experience the Symptoms of Tinnitus...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chase, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Chase

Chase Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2015
      So I started noticing a ringing in my ear about a month or so ago, only noticed it when I lied in my bed at night. Didn't bother me at all really. Now it seems deafening, and Im finding it hard to focus on anything. Should I worry about it being something else? I went to the doctor, and she didn't seem like it was a big deal. I'm just kind of scared it could be something terrible, like a problem in the brain. It seems incredible that people just live with this on a regular basis. Any advice or answers are most welcome. Thanks!

2. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I'm not an expert on T as I'm new with this as well but from what I've read and been told by my ENT and members here, its usually not a serious issue. In some rare cases I think it can be caused by a tumor but its very rare. You should follow up with an ENT and get an audiogram and go from there if you're concerned. They will recommend an MRI if they feel your symptoms warrant one. In my case, they didn't order an MRI and basically sent me to an audiologist for treatment.. Hope that helps.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chase

Chase Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2015
      Thanks, I appreciate the help.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Chase Tinnitus can be caused by many things but the most common is exposure to loud noise. Have you been listening to music through headphones or attending concerts, bars, venues where music has been played loud? Try to avoid sleeping in a quiet room as your brain will focus more on the tinnitus and it will seem louder. Use a radio at low volume, placed by the bedside. It's not a good idea to try and cover up the tinnitus, it won't be possible anyway. Set the level just below your T. A sound machine that plays nature sounds would be better but wait and see if your tinnitus calms down.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chase

Chase Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2015
      Thanks, and I've been using multiple youtube channels for background noise to help drown it out. I find crickets work very well. The intensity seems to fluctuate from day to day, most are pretty manageable now. Thanks again.