So Sick of My Un-Sympathetic Family...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zeneth, Oct 31, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Zeneth
      Hurting

Zeneth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Unknown At This Point.... most likely loud sound?
      Nobody in my family cares, except for my Mom (a little) but they literally show no sympathy and aren't willing to do small and little things to help me such as turn down the TV...

Everytime I ask them to turn the volume down, or say "I dont want to go there because its loud" they just be total assholes about it, and sometimes I just want to punch them!

Just now we rented a horror movie and they turned the volume up loud, and so the voices of the people are normal but the jumpscares are SOOO loud and it spikes my T and my H kicks in.. They wont turn it down so I just left and came to my bedroom, here I am now, typing this...

2. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Take care of yourself if no one else will.

You're trying to work with them, but if they won't work with you your only option is to adjust what you're doing. Good on you for leaving the loud movie. Don't be melodramatic about it with them, just be honest. T is an emotional and sensory burden for many people who have it, and those that don't have no idea what it entails.

Take care of yourself.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm guessing that they probably just don't understand. Have you been to an ENT? Maybe you could have the Dr explain some of your needs to your parents so that they will better understand.

4. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Tinnitus is so misunderstood. Its really bad and millions of citizens are suffereing we need a miracle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Penate

Penate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/04/2015
      Yes I'm 100% agree with you, we need a miracle that going to be the only solution.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      I fully agree with you that tinnitus can be quite a distressing condition for some people to live with. On a positive front, it is quite common and a lot of people learn to cope with it and may need treatment at ENT. There is no cure for tinnitus at the moment just like many other medical conditions. The best one can hope for is to try and get help from our doctors and hearing therapist to make our life a little easier.
      Michael

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      My family is starting to understand... A little... My daughters-in-law will quiet down my grandchildren when they start getting loud. You need to be more quiet for Grandma. Loud noises hurt her ears!

The ones that live at home are used to explaining what different noises are, because sometimes I can't tell where they are located. Between the ringing and the hearing loss, it can be hard to tell what is going on.

I can tell you, sweet requests for understanding are better tolerated that flat out complaining... Get some ear plugs and/or ear muffs to use when people are being loud. They might get the message. But throwing a fit or stomping out of the room gets no sympathy. How you communicate makes a big difference!

• Like Like x 1