SOAEs and Aspirin — Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Support' started by vermillion, Jun 13, 2017.

1. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Guys I need some help here for the following that was posted here in another thread:
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2686891/

Particularly:
      "SOAEs produced by the cochlea can be perceived as tinnitus.34 SOAEs are usually inaudible, but they can become audible due to instability.35These atypical SOAEs are much more prevalent in the higher frequency range and can appear at sound pressure levels up to 55 dB SPL in the ear canal.36 Tinnitus due to SOAEs is mild and is more common in subjects with normal hearing and in those with only middle ear disorders.
      &
      "Tinnitus due to SOAEs can be diminished by aspirin.68"
      (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2736098/)

According to my ENT my OAE test revealed SOAEs in both ears. She told me that this is not common. She also told me that those findings are still being researched and she could not tell if my tinnitus is connected with this finding. I have no particular knowledge on the subject but does someone knows more?

Would it be wise to try aspirin? I'm afraid it is risky since aspirin is ototoxic.

Thanx
      V.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      anyone?

3. pytajnick

pytajnick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi. I just found the same study. Did you try the aspirin eventually? If yes, have you noticed any results?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Hey @pytajnick. Actually I didn't. I was afraid to, due to aspirin ototoxicity BUT I also forgot it. And now that you reminded me. However I doubt that it's gonna be of any help for me anymore, due to my tinnitus complexity. Let me know if you try this.