Some Encouraging Signs

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by pathworker2017, Nov 18, 2017.

1. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      After a year of tinnitus having gone from relatively mild to quite severe, to the point that sleep was becoming a major issue things look like they're starting to settle down to a point where I can at last get a semblance of restful sleep.

I went through the usual process of looking for the magic solution that would quiet my T but discovered over time that dong that just focused my attention more on the tinnitus thus making things worse.

I now treat tinnitus the same way as the ambient noise around me and find doing so shifts attention away from the constant tone in my right ear.

The net result is, although I am quite aware of the constant tone, it doesn't bother me quite as much a it did initially.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's really great to hear.

You are doing the right thing.

The less attention you give it the more it will fade into the background as you are telling your brain its not important and doing so, over time, should reduce the salience and even volume of the sound according to much research. As the sound is all about perception.

How did you get tinnitus, if you don't mind me asking? And what caused yours to get worse?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @sanj100 I had bilateral T for about 5 or so years cause not known but suspecting a combination of ototoxic medication to treat hypertension plus gradual hearing loss;

The onset of unilateral( right ear predominant) T manifested at some point in 2016.,not long prior to that I had a fall winch resulted in a blow to the upper right jaw, I suspect this is a contributing factor.

A recent visit to an audiologist revealed that left ear shows normal levels of age related hearing loss where as the right ear shows quite significant loss which is suspected to be conductive in nature.
      I am currently awaiting an appointment with an ENT surgeon for further investigations which will no doubt be aimed at finding the likely cause of the increased hearing loss in the right ear.

4. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      """""Success""""""

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      T is doing its best to make its presence felt. not likely to see ENT surgeon before April 2019, I am tempted to go the private sector route for a hearing aid, should I wait till I see the ENT surgeon or go ahead? tips anyon please? thank you in advance.