Sometimes You Just Can't Win

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robert44, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      So I walk around with ear plugs, stopped coffee, caffeine, Advil, Aspirin, Salt.... I am really careful with my ears. I never take any chances. I put the plugs in whenever I'm around something loud. . I am cutting down on the sweets. For the most part I have been doing much better since the loud concert in April that caused my T.

This T has changed my life completely. It's always on my mind. My main goal now is to not make it any worse. I have been coping with it but if it gets worse I don't know what I'll do.

I'm a teacher in an elementary school and I'm walking through the cafeteria. I stop to talk to another teacher. All of a sudden a teacher aid (who is standing right next to me) decides to blow a whistle to get the kids quiet. Blew my right ear out. I had no idea she was going to do this. Didn't see it coming.

My ear has been spiking and hurting ever since. People who don't have ear problems have no idea what something like this can cause.

Sometimes you just can't win

2. svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones maybe?not sure really.
      Did you tell her that ? I don't know what I would have done.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert44

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I covered my ears immediately but it was too late. She did apologize to me and I did tell her to not use that whistle again.

4. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I hope you're ok and I know exactly what you mean. Since this shit started I've become very good at analyzing my surroundings and anticipating what or who may cause a loud unwanted sound. Unfortunately it's not always guaranteed that you will catch some idiot blowing a whistle right next to you but sucks that I have to live this way now as I don't want to make this shit worse. I got caught by a fire alarm at work yesterday but luckily I was able to use my fingers right away to plug up my ears.

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I would take nac and mag

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I think you will be fine. I had this happen to me a few times by a referee whistle during soccer matches. Usually, it will cause a spike for a bit but always returns back to normal. I think the super short blast of a whistle, though loud, will not cause permanent damage.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      I work at a recreation center and this has happened plenty of times. Yes it does hurt and yes it will most likely spike but protect your ears and keep doing what you have been doing. Also, take nacare and mag before you go to work.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      With my job I use a big brass bell .
      Other staff use a whistle.
      I told the head teacher about my Menieres and sever Bilareral tinnitus and that blowing a whistle at least 20 times each day was really hurting my ears and ordered me my own bell after the old one broke ....lots of love glynis.

9. suera

suera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      I'm so sorry. I was at my childs school one day and the firedrill went off when I was standing right under it:( It was terrible and the spike lasted about 2 weeks but it did settle back down to my normal, I think yours will too.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robert44

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I'm a teacher and I have ear plugs on my desk. when the fire drill goes off I immediately put the plugs in. The new alarm is so loud. All the kids cover their ears. Makes no sense. Doesn't need to be that loud.

• Like Like x 1