South Korean Clinic Treatment (Dr. Minbo Shim)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by vaka, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Yes this paper is quite good news.

@Artemis2K I don't think we can compare Shim and Frequency TX's expertise... And Frequency won't talk for Shim's growth factors.

2. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      The objective isn't really to compare their expertise, but rather analyze the potential of growth factors and the downsides. Shim's expertise is hardly relevant in this case. FreqTX moved on from growth factor for a reason, and I just want to learn more about why, from other than what the article provided.

3. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      They moved on from earlier published research because their new approach is much more effective. Doesn't seem like there would need to be another reason, but if there is, why do you think they would tell you?

You don't seem to understand that it's not possible to know what is going on unless you know what Shim is doing., and he has made it clear he isn't going to say. So there is no way that you or anyone else can know how what he is doing might affect anything else.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      That was my point, thank you.

We're talking about Shim here. So if we don't know what growth factors he uses, it's really useless to ask Frequency about growth factors (in this thread's context).

5. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I guess my main question right now is, how many effective growth factors could there actually be? I don't expect much of a variety.

I want to know how inferior the growth factors are, and whether or not the downsides are really much of a fuss. The support cell things do not sound much of a problem to me, since in their natural state they are forever dormant and useless after damage anyway.

I also highly doubt that the growth factors would nuke the opportunity for the new treatment, since supposedly it can often take multiple treatments for people who have a lot of damage to have great effect. If it can take multiple treatments, then obviously there are still a lot of support cells around, plenty for the new treatment to use.

Whichever works for me. I am still going to be saving money for whichever ends up being the best... and closest. (Well, I intend on saving money anyway so I can start a small online business) I am still concerned that the new treatment would not be an option for people with mild hearing loss. My hearing and tinnitus issues have made me depressed, impatient, and easily tempered, so I would welcome an opportunity to get rid of it. I used to be a happy-go-lucky person who enjoyed music, reading, philosophy, and video games... but now I hate just about everything. So, my obsession over this is because I want to be the person I used to be, and actually lead the life I want.

Also, if Shim ends up being a scam, at least it would be fun to watch his scheme fall apart. But, I have no idea, and although I have seen many clues where I think he is honest and believe him, I still want to gather all information and make sure.

• Like Like x 2
    6. The King

The King Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosi
      The only situation to know if shin minbo is a good ent or a scam...is try ! If somepeople have the possibility of try should be very important for him and for all the forum ! Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    7. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uh, no. The best way is to gather intel. Though I do want to go to South Korea and possibly meet a lot of Asian women and be absorbed in the culture and scenery... I am not going to be an ignorant guinea pig at a controversial mystery clinic.

I am saving money to use for when I am 24-25. I thought I could save up to $20,000 in a year earlier based on how promising some of my business ideas were, but that was naive. I need a good computer for that, which I lack. It's just not possible with my tablet, which I am already lazy with my writing on anyway.

8. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      You are making an assumption that whatever he is doing is affecting supporting cells, and there isn't enough information to draw this conclusion.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vaka

vaka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hearing loss.
      I agree, there is for sure not enough information. But given that my finding about Minbo Shim using IGF-1 is correct and complete, it will not affect supporting cells. IGF-1 does not induce some kind of transformation of supporting cells into hair cells as far as i have understood.

Here is the quote to my post about shim using IGF-1

• Like Like x 2
    10. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      I asked Frequency TX about the supportive cells thing. I doubt they'll reply but there's nothing to lose...

• Like Like x 1
    11. Penate

Penate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/04/2015
      I know the answer, 5 to 10 years, and next year 5 to 10 years and next year the same and on and on and on..........................................................

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it will be 5 years this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe to much noise
      I think about like 5 10 ;D, but we will know more in around 18 month :)

14. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      ???? I asked them if the previous destruction of supportive cells will have an impact on the treatment....
      Their treatment wont be out for at least 8 years that's for sure.

15. Ivanskis
      Sad

Ivanskis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I caught a cold and it has never gone away
      Hello Everyone,

I am new and found this site while searching for Stem Cell Therapy.
      I read all 35 pages from At The Edge of Science when he went to Bangkok and I feel good about Stem Cell Therapy.
      I don't have the cash for Bangkok but this S. Korea thing has me very interested. I would totally volunteer if the cash was available. I didn't lose hearing but I have a very high pitch sound and it's hard. I just spoke with my family and I will begin to save money for this. If this can cut my Tinnitus by 50% I would be so happy. Anyways back to reading and look forward to this Science developing!!

• Like Like x 5
    16. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I didn't lose hearing either but I have a high pitch sound too so you are not alone :)

• Like Like x 1
    17. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Why do you say that you havent lost any hearing ? If your T is above or around 8 khz it will not show up on this incredibly outdated hearing test , unless you got tested higher , and then still its inaccurate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    18. Ivanskis
      Sad

Ivanskis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I caught a cold and it has never gone away
      In 1987 I had surgery on my right ear as I had a hole in my ear drum. I lost majority of my hearing on that ear. My left ear is my only good one. Although I have a high pitch I can still hear like I have in the past.
      I have my hearing test today and will let you know my results.

19. Rasmus
      Cool

Rasmus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      around 02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can only go with my test, i have been testet in and no hearing loss there :/ maybe i have in higher i dont know, but in my test i dont have hearing loss

20. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      not sure, likely 10+years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know maybe loud sounds
      • Informative Informative x 1
    21. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Nobody from here has been to Minbo Shim's clinic and had the treatment.

22. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is primarily based on growth factor, and nobody has gone there yet. A lot of people are not sure of its honesty, and are looking for more information before considering it. I don't think anyone is questioning the science of it, just the honesty of Minbo Shim. It's a lot to go through, and is somewhat confusing, so everyone is just waiting until specific information comes in before thinking about it.

I personally think he is genuine, and have spent at least a few dozen hours in total trying to learn about him, but there are still very valid questions that need to be answered. However, I don't have much time looking anymore due to college, and I would prefer not to invest any time while I am under serious stress, so I cannot add much to the discussion for now.

All will come to the surface in time.

Also, yes, it says it is done through ear drum, and supposedly it would take within a week for results. But don't immediately think he's THE answer, there is still a lot that needs to be learned.

23. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am not too clued up on the whole process but from what I understand, there are 2 parts to the treatment. The first part is the injection through the eardrum for the growth factor and the second is the stem cells which are injected intravenously through a vein in your arm for example. The hope is the growth factor injected in the eardrum would eventually reach the site of your dead hair cells and the stem cells would then reach that site and begin repair. I think that is the gist of growth factor treatment which I believe is the treatment the forum member ATEOS had and what Mimbo Shim does.

The article you linked to from the ATA website is where researchers injected stem cells directly into the auditory nerve without damaging it and found this was more effective that the above method I assume where many stem cells die or fail to reach the auditory nerve/hair cells.

Not sure on the exact approach Frequency Therapeutics are using but I think it's the same as Mimbo but modified and the recent news of the researchers they are working with which makes their approach a lot more effective is very interesting. I guess the only thing we can do is hope Frequency Therapeutics are onto a winner and I sure hope they are

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      not sure, likely 10+years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know maybe loud sounds
      I know that stem periferial blood works for cartilage repair, no need for growt factors.

Through blood, it is a bit strange, as stem cells are naturally found and extracted from blood. I think Neupogene or something like it increases the stem(progenitor) cells in blood.

And pretty much no stem cell will see the middle ear.

Maybe add it in the blod vessel that goes to ear, but that is still not exactly natural way to transport such cells.

25. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
    26. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Everytime I read an adverse effect about stem cells it's always people going blind... So I suggest that injecting stem cells in the eye is not safe. I don't think this can happen with IV injections. Also from cases I read it can create lung problems for elderly people.

And if we want to get cured now we have to take some risks... For the safe way we need to wait for official treatment, it shouldn't be that long now if all goes well but still.

27. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      It's not an adverse effect in this case, things just went south and no one knew exactly what they were doing...

So I wonder if the same scenario is possible with us : you receive a stem cells treatment to reduce your moderate/severe hearing loss (middle ear injection through the eardrum) and you go deaf...

IV injections are probably safer but less efficient.

28. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Yeah probably, I've never heard of that though. And here the stem cells are not injected in the ear

29. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      I mean...both eyes at once lol.

After a decade of animal testing, the large companies starting the hearing regenerating clinical trials on humans I feel will fare much better.

30. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Any new developments in this ?