Spike After Osteopath Appointment

Discussion in 'Support' started by Stacey427, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Stacey427
      Alienated

Stacey427 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Hi all,

I'm not new here, I've had tinnitus almost a year now. It took such a huge toll on me, the stress of it drained me and took me on a mentally emotional roller coaster.
      I've recently developed a concerning bladder disease that I'm sure was highlighted from all the stress I was under.

Anyways, long story short. I've been coping ok and today I went to the osteopath for some neck issues I've been having, he did some acupuncture, stretches and then asked if it was ok for him to do some gentle manipulation to free up the at u joints in the neck. I was a little hesitant but said ok, he did an adjustment (crack) in each side and I feel like my tinnitus has been in a spike since!

I'm really worried some damage was done after the manipulation to my T. Is that possible? Has anyone else had s similar situation? Could I be from the stress of the adjustment on the neck?

Any advice on the situation would be helpful! I still have my weak moments when I can't cope very well.

I hope I haven't done any damage to my T:( xxx

2. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      I wish i couldgiva you a answer but mine doc told me to never crack me neck. I also have neck issues. I hope it settles down. :huganimation:

3. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I always found osteos were more gentle about it than chiropractors and didn't do so much cracking. It's not uncommon for neck issues to cause this but it doesn't mean it's going to be permanent. If it doesn't go try a gentle massage as that sometimes helps.m you don't want the ones who do the real deep massage where you're like holding your breath thinking they want to torture you though! You want a nice relaxing one that doesn't cause you to tense up. Or I find a hot shower or bath sometimes does the trick. Here's hoping. I'm sure it will settle.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stacey427
      Alienated

Stacey427 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Thanks for the response Sandra yeah I was really worried about it, he did say it was only a gentle release of the joints and the crack was from the gas' releasing, I'm just worried this spike will be permanant...I'm getting some anxiety that's rising from this and thought it would of gone down by now:(

Thanks for the support x

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stacey427
      Alienated

Stacey427 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Thanks for the response :)
      He did say that it was just a gentle release of locked up joints- I asked after why they crack and he said it's the gas' releasing after the joint is moved back?

I'm just concerned as the spike isn't going down, do you think it might be permanant? I haven't seen anything similar that i can find on the forums?

Thanks for reassuring me and for the advice, much my appreciated x

6. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      With tinnitus, there are so many causes and triggers to spikes that I have no doubt your neck manipulation could've caused a spike.

That said, I get adjusted twice a week which includes cracking my neck, and I've never had s problem.

Btw, kind of weird... Because in the U.S., osteopaths are pretty much just MDs. I've seen several as a primary care doctor and not one has ever mentioned adjustments.

7. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      In Germany osteopaths are very far from MDs. They are considered "healers", they're in the same corner as homeopathy here. Don't know about Australia.

I found it to be a waste of money chasing neck "problems" when you had none before T.
      Been seeing an osteopath for more than 3 months, I was told (by him) that my neck was extreme stiff and over the course of the therapy I was told that my neck was getting better.
      It didn't help my T a bit. Same for acupuncture, massages. Been burning money like Joker in the Dark Knight.
      And I agree with Mad maggot, the Osteopaths here are very gentle when compared to chiropractors. They tend not to "crack".

If you had real neck problems before T like chronic pain then manual therapy is worth checking out.
      But otherwise you just want to find something. Like with TMJ. I spent so much money on jaw diagnostics and custom splints to correct "something". It did not help the T a bit.

8. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Oh, I got regular chiropractic care way before I had T. My getting chiro care has nothing to do with my T whatsoever.

I have chronic back pain, and chiro care helps me manage. In fact, getting two adjustments per week (which for me is free because of my insurance policy) plus doing the exercises he tells me to do, has greatly improved my back pain. I still have it but it feel infinitely better than before my treatments. It sure beats having to constantly take pain killers which only treats the symptoms.

9. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      It is very unlikely that manipulation of your neck would result in any permanent damage to your auditory system. I suspect the increase in the tinnitus is either the result of anxiety (a tinnitus perception amplifier) or from some jaw muscle spasms - which will increase the volume of tinnitus until it settles. Try some heat around your neck and jaw.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      True! It could have made the muscles tense and increase somatic T. But other than that I can't see how it could permanently affect your T.

11. Jbeans

Jbeans Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thought I would chime in too. I've seen an osteopath every month for 6 months since tinnitus started. If anything my T has improved since onset.

@Stacey427 just wondering how you are doing now ? Could you give us an update ? Hopefully the spike did not become permanent for you.