Spike Caused by Potassium Nitrate in the Toothpaste!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sherri786, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi all

Posting this as it might help some of you. I had been having very very low T volume since I started taking
      Niacin ( been about a week now ) , today my T spiked and I couldn't understand why as I hadn't eaten or done anything different, except that I had ran out of my organic toothpaste so I had been using Sensodyne since yesterday, while googling online I came across posts on some other T forums and seems like others T had been caused or spiked due to the Potassium Nitrate in their toothpaste too, even caused deafness to some.

Check your toothpastes for Potassium nitrates !

• Informative Informative x 5
    2. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Oh wow! Would never have thought about toothpaste!

Great news that you T seems to have been quieter since taking the niacin - do you mind me asking what the dosage you take is?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Amelia, I'm taking 500 mg of Niacin every morning. The brand name is " webber naturals" , I've experimented
      With dozens of supplements and so far Niacin seems to have helped more than any other and of course the 400 mgs magnesium citrate at bedtime has helped a lot too.

4. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Thanks! I'm taking magnesium already plus a Vit B complex so id assume it has some Niacin in it but I'll check the dosage:)

• Like Like x 1
    5. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Yep, I'm already taking 100mgs a day.
      Might see if I can up it by a little and see if that makes a difference.

Thank goodness for being an Aussie tho - Vegemite is a good source of it!

• Like Like x 1
    6. Dani

Dani Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 october
      Many types of toothpaste, especially those for sensitive teeth, contain as an active ingredient a compound known as Potassium Nitrate (also known as saltpetre). Potassium Nitrate is a known irritant of tinnitus. It can be the source of your tinnitus or be worsening your existing tinnitus. Some suffers have also reported a feeling of fullness in their inner ear and experienced partial deafness (examples: here and here). Discontinuing use of such toothpastes can alleviate these side effects.

source: http://patrickgillespie.hubpages.com/hub/Five-Tinnitus-Treatments

• Informative Informative x 4
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Sorry Amelia forgot to mention before if you're buying new Niacin, make sure it says " no flush ".

8. Darek

Darek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Dani hello i'm sorry but are you really serious? you give as link from 2004 one case ? Please next time try check information which you posts. Potassium Nitrate is added to meat chesse even vegetables (soil) contains him even water. Look at E252 (potassium Nitrate) So people try think. If he really be cause tinnitus or worsering we will be no it. Because all people take him in high amounts. Your dose of Potassium Nitrate from thooth paste will be max 10% ale amounts you take from other sources.
      your source Five Tinnitus Treatments You May Not Be Aware Of
      "Potassium Nitrate is a known irritant of tinnitus" one sentence and I know that the author is incompetent. If the PN be knowing irritant then will be some sources others. We have single post one person from 2004 that all they report.

The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon

9. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Week I got my t, had happened to switch to a toothpaste containing Potassium Nitrate. Came off it a week later.
      Interesting.

10. J-rod
      Frantic

J-rod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      A few years ago I was having some anxiety issues... There I was in my panic state of mind wanting to end it all. Clinging to my crystals, while drinking warm green tea and listening to the sounds of nature mixed with binaural beats for healing. I was sick and tired of life's problems and my marital relationship is still a work in progress. Thankfully I don't need medication for anxiety, just time to reboot, mostly with rest, nutrition and the great outdoors. Just how far down the rabbit-hole are you willing to go for the sake of serenity. Surely all of these chemicals are having an effect on our lives. At one point I had to know if illuminating fluoride would recover some lost part of my brain suppressed by our Government. Perhaps I could regain a new sense of enlightenment, maybe even raise my IQ and feel the tidal waves of the universe energy washing the salty waters into my now enormously burning 3rd eye...o_O

For one year I started using non-fluoride tooth pastes and drinking waters. I tried everything from homemade to quality brands at the local whole food marts. I can't honestly say anything changed with my state of mind or body. But looking back I ask myself now if fluoride was too much of the main focus when there are so many other ingredients. There was a time about a year before my change in toothpastes when I was using one with Potassium Nitrate and I don't recall my T being any worse. Looking back on the non-fluorides, I think it was Spry with the Xylitol, it seems to have fixed the sensitivity issues I was having. I then tried some oil-pulling with coconut oils as well, it's really good for the gums, but I stopped once the sensitivity returned. Unfortunately I still keep a bottle of Listerine around, it just seems to be the only thing that works to kill off random sorts of mouth issues, but it comes loaded with bad list of ingredients that we should all avoid.

Spry Non-Fluoride Toothpaste: 25% of total weight. List of ingredients: Aqua (Purified Water), Xylitol, Silica, Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitol, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Aloe Vera, Calcium Glycerophosphate, Natural Peppermint Flavor, Sodium Benzoate, Stevia, Titanium Dioxide, Xanthan Gum.

Colgate Fluoride Toothpaste, Regular:
      Active Ingredients: Sodium Monofluorophosphate (0.15% W/V Fluoride Ion)
      Inactive Ingredients: Dicalcium Phosphate Dihydrate, Water, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cellulose Gum, Flavor, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Sodium Saccharin.

Sensodyne Toothpaste:
      Active Ingredients: Potassium Nitrate (5%)Antihypersensitivity , Sodium Fluoride (0.145% w/v Fluoride Ion)Anticavity
      Inactive Ingredients: Cellulose Gum , Flavor , Glycerin , Polyethylene Glycol , Silica , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Saccharin , Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate , Titanium Dioxide , Water

Other than the elimination of Fluoride in one toothpaste and the addition of Potassium Nitrate in another. If my T was the same with all 3 brands, what else is a common factor. Glycerin? Could some of these ingredients be the same thing but only with different names? It's all very mind boggling. :confused:

11. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I know, it's crazy. I get suspicious of any ingredients with the word "sodium" in it. Can't be good. But yes, enough to drive you crazy thinking about it.

12. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      I started using Sensodyne a couple weeks before my big spike. Now I wonder if this is what caused it. I never used sensitive relief toothpaste prior to this. Regardless, I'll never use it again.

13. Stephen1144

Stephen1144 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gun noise
      Very interesting, and makes sense.

14. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I can't fucking BELIEVE this god damn dentist gave me Sensodyne. I used it last night and woke up and been awful all day. T is totally erratic and higher pitch. This has literally ruined me.

I can't fucking believe a toothpaste can do this. Now I have to sit here and hope to god it didn't permanently alter me. It's currently unbearable. I don't know what to do.

Avoid this like the plague, not worth even a temp. increase if your lucky enough to just have that.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Shawn K

Shawn K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High serotonin
      The first time I ever experienced tinnitus in my life was after taking potassium nitrate as a supplement for several weeks to increase nitric oxide levels. For the past several years, it has become very obvious that increasing potassium nitrate increases tinnitus and decreasing potassium nitrate decreases tinnitus. My understanding is that nitrates affect the biopterin cycle which synthesizes BH4 which is required to create not only nitric oxide but also serotonin in the brain too much of which is now recognized as the underlying reason tinnitus exists in many (if not most) sufferers. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.celrep.2017.07.079

For me personally, anything which increases serotonin increases my tinnitus. One of the things that surprised me was cinnamon which I discovered one day after eating dark cinnamon toast. Published NIH articles show it increases serotonin in the brain and may assist thereby in treating depression. It's a learning experience. I'm amazed at all the things that can raise serotonin in the brain through MAO-A, SSRI, reduced reuptake/breakdown effects. Eating a lot of almonds can increase my tinnitus as they are high in tryptophan which is used by the body to synthesize serotonin. Some of the worst offenders for me are 5-HTP, Acetyl-L Carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Astaxanthin, possibly Quercetin, Nitrate, possibly DHEA. Anyway, I hope the above link is worth the read to everyone.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1