Spike from Barking Dog. Worried This Will Be Permanent.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alexandor89, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Alexandor89

Alexandor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      First time poster here. I've had tinnitus for 5 years now, and hyperacusis for 4. My tinnitus is usually pretty mild in volume, but still very intrusive. My hyperacusis is horrible. It's been disabling over the past few years.

I was out walking on my favourite nature trail today, which is ordinarily super quiet. Unfortunately, I walked passed a man with two dogs off leash, and one of them became interested in me. It followed me for roughly 50 yards and when I turned to see if it was still behind me, it started barking at me. It barked probably 6-10 times total, and it was probably 4 or 5 feet away from my ear (I'm 6'5 and the dog was definitely no more than 2 feet off the ground.

I usually carry a decibel meter with me when I'm out, but since this trail is usually so quiet I didn't see the need for it, so I didn't get a dB measurement. I also have really bad hyperacusis (discomfort starts at 60 dB) so I really have no idea how loud the barking was. It felt super loud to me, but I'm assuming my perception is way off due to my hyperacusis.

Unfortunately, now my tinnitus has spiked and it's making me super anxious. I haven't had a spike in a really long time, and I'm really worried this one is going to be permanent. I did manage to pop in my 22dB NRR ear plugs before the barking started (I never go anywhere without them), but I'm still noticing a pretty bad spike.

Can anyone offer some words of encouragement and maybe help me see things a bit more rationally? I'd really appreciate it. I'm freaking out over here right now I cant deal with this being permanent. This makes me just want to lock myself in my house forever. I shouldn't have even tried to go for a walk today.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      many of us get spikes that eventually settle down. just try to stay calm and focused on something else. perhaps it may make you feel better to post some memes in My Posting Place?

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexandor89

Alexandor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks John Adams! I'm doing my best to stay calm but it's tough. I'll try to find something to keep my mind occupied.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Be warned. Everyone there is barking.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexandor89

Alexandor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Haha I think I better avoid it then

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've read posts where people got serious(permanent?) spikes after having a dog bark right next to their ear. If you were wearing earplugs, and the dog was not right next to your ear, I think you have nothing to worry about. It might spike for a day or two, but I simply can't imagine you getting a permanent spike under these circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi,

I have 2 dogs that do bark a lot and a pain in the ass but I can honestly say spikes from these haven’t lasted. I’m on day 14 of a loud bell which I was under and it still hasn’t settled... trying to remain positive and distract myself best I can. I’m sure you’ll be ok.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Your spike WON'T be permanent.

I think the combination of a hyperstimulated central nervous system, along with severe hyperacusis are the culprits.

I've had similar loud acoustic incidents and had several meltdowns over them. I do understand what you're going through. The barking won't be loud enough or sustained enough to have caused further damage.

What are you doing to treat your hyperacusis??

What do you think caused your tinnitus?

I would suggest taking nicotinamide riboside as a means of protecting your ears. I recall reading the results of a trial that stated that it was shown to be just as effective taken after as it was prior to acoustic insult. I'll dig up the study if youre interested.

Honestly though, i think the unexpected barking won't have done any lasting damage. Do calming, nurturing things and let me know how you get on...

Try listening to some mindfulness apps to calm YOU down ...

. Buddhify
      . Headspace

Thinking of you x

9. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      If you had plugs in you don't need to worry. Just let it be and it will settle.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexandor89

Alexandor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure

You were right, Bill Bauer. Turns our I had nothing to worry about. My T has gone back to baseline already! Thank god I had those ear plugs in!

• Like Like x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexandor89

Alexandor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure

Thank you so much for your reply, Deb!

To answer your question, I am not currently treating my hyperacusis in any way. It's something I definitely need to look into though, as the H is extremely restrictive. I dont have much of a life outside of work these days.

My tinnitus was caused by a night out at a salsa club back in summer of 2013. I was in the club for no more than 30 minutes and I've heard the ringing ever since. I've largely habituated to it, but the spikes still make me super anxious.

I am very interested to read more about nicotinomide. If it's not too much trouble I'd love to see the study.

You were spot on though. I downloaded the headspace app (thanks for the recommendation), got some rest, and my T returned to baseline. My anxiety tends to linger for a few days so I'm still dealing with that, but at least the spike has settled down.

Thank you again for the kind words! Hope you're having a lovely summer in Aus.

• Like Like x 1