Spike in Tinnitus — Did I Make a Big Mistake by Going to a Disco?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alex Matyjasek, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      I made a stupid mistake not too long ago... As some of you know I've been a member for more than a year now, and luckily reported things got a lot better for me. It was a bumpy, hard and patient road, but I managed to get there. One of the important things that I had adapted to my life (like most of us) was not using earphones, but I made a big mistake going to a disco last Saturday... The last time I went was years before I even got tinnitus. I also had a bit too much to drink that didn't let me think about the situation properly. Before deciding to stay I checked the decibel meter, had my earplugs on and I thought I was just fine!

Funnily enough yesterday it was a very good day and I was surprised. Today on the other hand it's making me think about it most of the time.

Is this quiet day a sign that this is going to get better? Or is it too early to say? (This is not the first time I've had bad periods like this, and eventually they resolved.)

In the past I had to expose myself to noisy places for short periods of time. Did I make a big mistake going to the disco? Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Hindsight is 20/20. If you got a spike, than it was clearly too noisy, and going there was a problem. Earplugs are hardly fully protective.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      In the future, I would avoid these places like a plaque if I were you, as they could turn into a disaster, which you will never forget.

Tinnitus is not very big on second chances.
      I hope your spike subsides soon, but take that as your warning.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 3
    4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I like this line!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      You're asking questions that imho no human can answer.
      It is even unclear whether tinnitus, which is not caused by noise, can worsen at all by noise.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you.
      It is based on about 3 years of reading just about every post or an article, that has the word "Tinnitus" in it.

7. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      My tinnitus was not caused by noise, and I can tell that after having it, even though not noise related at all, I begin to hear whistle each time I would go in a noisy place, concert or whatsoever: really weird because before my tinnitus appeared, I never had whistle from noisy place or like air concert.

So each time, the day after, I would wake up with this "eeeee" in both my ears (even though I have tinnitus just in left ear).
      But it always disappeared, the 4 times.

I can just say that I used earplugs once but wasn't enough, but still good because the tinnitus disappear in like 6h instead of 12h or even 24h.
      I also never got problems afterward, actually the opposite: while the whistle would go away, the ringing too... But then it would come back after a day or two of silence.

Don't worry too much, but try to avoid loud places for now. And also, when you are in loud places, take some rest every 30 min, like go out.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      Thanks for your reply. How long can a spike last before I can start worrying?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Disco? Disno.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know what you mean by spike. Is the normal sound of your tinnitus louder? If yes, I don't know, should be back to normal in a few days, but tinnitus is unpredictable, could last more.
      I would say don't worry, worrying make it worse. But protect yourself, and avoid unnecessary loud places.

11. razo

razo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
      Agreed. I think «spike» is used on the forum both for when we get a louder T due to a new sound exposure and/or when a louder T is caused by some inner thing like stress, tension (and perhaps food?) etc.. We should try to clarify what we mean by «spike».

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      It got louder but had 1 quiet day the hole week. No new sounds just more intense

13. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would say if you got one quiet day after the exposure, then the spike is not necessarily due to the sound exposure.

I think you put more attention on your tinnitus and also stressed more about it, so it became louder.

Try to relax and each time you hear it, put your attention somewhere else. I am confident it will get back to normal ;)

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      No, i´m sure it´s louder. I´ve had this for more than a year now and I know how to handel it, even on bad days... But I do agree that 1 quiet day shouldn´t logically happen after being exposed to loud music. I wonder what it was? Maby it´s just a case of accepting bad and good periods. Who know...

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Probably.
      Isn't it obvious?

We get a limited number of second chances, and you had just wasted one...

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      When you start experiencing longer periods of feeling ´normal´again (with a bit too much to drink) I guess you end up pushing limits without realizing it. I was just an idiot... there´s no excuse :( Anyway, fingers crossed and thanks

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't mind Bill Bauer, he is on every thread in this forum talking about people that went out on loud places, and making them feel bad. That's his thing.

18. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I don't quite follow.
      Wasn't the original poster himself asking if he had made a bad mistake?
      @Bill Bauer had only answered his question.

Personally, I would prefer if someone "made me feel bad" for doing something stupid, rather than have debilitating Tinnitus (which would really make me feel bad for the rest of my life).
      Which would you prefer?

• Like Like x 1
    19. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't see how telling someone he has "wasted a second chance" is going to be of any help... Well because it isn't helping at all.

Also your sentence is not logical, he has already been exposed, what is done cannot be undone, so how making him feeling bad now is going to help him with the spike he already have?

Alex know he made a mistake, it's literally the first sentence of his post. He know he shouldn't have been there. His question is more like a call for comfort or for hope than a real question. And Bill has mastered the art of being not comforting and making people feel bad, when they already feel bad for what they did.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      You need to see it in proper context, then the logic will became obvious.
      In translation, what Bill is essentially saying is this:

"Count your blessings if your spike subsides and don't ever do this again".

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Because you think after getting a spike from a loud event, he will do it again?

It is thinking he must be some kind of retard, or worse. I think even a retard person who put his hand in fire and got burnt wouldn't do it again.

So yeah, I don't think he needs someone giving him a lesson because he already learnt it, and I don't think talking about "wasted" a second chance is of any help either.
      A simple warning is enough, you know, like friendly advice.

I would add that he can't even know if he "wasted" a second chance because everyone's tinnitus is different. For instance, Alex has a tinnitus not related to sound exposure. So how can Bill know he wasted a second chance? Is he a diviner?

I have tinnitus not related to sound exposure, I went 5 or 6 times to loud places, the 4th time, I got whistle in my ears afterwards, and each time it disappeared. So I have already wasted 4 second chances? Oh and the last one or two times, I didn't get a whistle at all, just like my brain was habituating to loud places. And my normal tinnitus has never been so quiet. So yeah, can't see anything right in his comment.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      @Bill Bauer told me about a year ago he told me what could go wrong... Yes, I know I screwed up, and I guess this message was just looking for some positive feed back. I was told what my reality is... It's been a shitty week. Had one good day and this afternoon it's a little bit less intense...(not base line though). Let's see what happens... Guys thanks for your advice. Highly appreciated

23. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Very relatable!

24. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Glad to hear that it eased up a little. These things take time, and try to avoid it again. I get really frustrated when I spike for no apparent reason.

25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for sharing your story with us.
      The positive feedback is that if you are already getting good days, chances are that eventually this spike will be gone.
      If one plots the volume vs. time, it usually looks like a stock price chart. So for every dip, there are going to be upticks...
      And reducing the chance that they or others reading my posts will do this to themselves in the future, right?
      More harm can always be done. Surprisingly, many people cause new harm to themselves even after having experiences that you would think would motivate them to take fewer risks.
      Actually there have been several recent posts where people displayed such an amazing disregard for common sense and their own well being that I couldn't help but to reply something along the lines of "do it - you only live once"
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-posting-place.23694/page-376#post-470598
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/members/djstarkiss.35451/#profile-post-17301
      Do you think my two posts above were more helpful than my post in this thread? Or would it be more helpful if I were to quote
      like I did in
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/going-to-a-concert-in-may-—-what-precautions-should-i-take.34399/#post-430308

• Like Like x 2
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      The only thing I can add now is that it´s annoying as yesterday, but I think today was a better day in general. Ofcouse, it had to be my last day at work, and consequently was probably more distracted, who knows... Tinnitus is a night mare when it comes to diagnosing. I made a stupid monkey mistake, and I just have to wait and HOPE this will get better. Might have to learn my mistake the hard way. Thank you everyone for your advice. Fingers crossed.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      I just wanted to report that my spike went away, and I've had a couple of good days. I wonder what caused it? Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    28. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Loud noise at a disco? *Shrugs* :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      Does this mean it´s safe to go to a night club?

30. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Thank you for reporting back on this Alex! It's super important for new tinnitus sufferers to figure out what they can/can't do, and that not every exposure to noise will lead to a permanent increase in tinnitus.

Many of my threads, reporting on my noise exposure, are ultimately aimed at demonstrating the same thing. I'm experiencing a bit of a spike right now myself, from some well-protected sound exposure, and I too will let the community know when it subsides (likely 1-2 days).

Will tag @Bill Bauer on this, not to be argumentative, but to engage in a conversation about protection and over-protection. Bill often used posts like "I went to the disco with earplugs on and now my tinnitus is way worse!" as evidence that one must protect at all costs. He could even use this thread that way, were he to ignore the happy ending. But that happy ending is key, isn't it?

Glad you're feeling better Alex. And glad you let us know too.

-Matt