Spiking, Stressing, Happiness Fading...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Elfin, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi all,

I guess this is a post/contribution looking for support, reassurance or some encouragement to keep going.

I don't know where to begin. I have had tinnitus which has distressed me immeasurably over the years. Over the past couple of months, it had seemed to have settled to a manageable level/I was preoccupied mentally with moving house.

Recently, however, I attended a friend's wedding and it has really flared up again. I wear earplugs and was wearing them to this wedding. The reception music was so loud, however, that I left before the end, although not without having been exposed to music on entering and leaving the venue (away form the dancefloor, but passing in and out to a side room) which was measured on my decibel 10 iphone app as being 107db! I was exposed to this noise volume for around 2/3 minutes only, but can now hear the tinnitus raging away.

I have tried to calm myself down (my own wedding is in a week) but can't. I can't stop obsessing over the noise and wondering whether it will quieten again, or whether I have done permanent damage. I can't focus on any of the wedding plans or on anything but the noise and it is really taking a toll on me.

I also can hear other sounds, which don't appear to be part of the tinnitus. Does anyone else have this? As in, I worry about it to the point where I think I can hear a loud humming sound, but then when I enter quiet and try to hear it, I can't, just the hissing and ringing.

Please someone offer me something which can soothe me. This is a living hell and I can't see a way out of it!

Yours in suffering!

2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      How long ago was it? A spike could just be a spike. I've had one last for a month. ACRN helps me get rid of them whenever I get one.

• Creative Creative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Wedding was on August 25th.

ACRN?

4. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I don't remember the link but it's basically something online that plays a bunch of tones around your frequency to help reduce it. It's great for spikes and in a lot of cases, mainly with younger people, it can help permenantly reduce it. I've gotten rid of a tone using it.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Anyone get the phantom sounds?

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hope you will ensure that the music at your wedding is quiet and that people who attend your wedding also keep it quiet.