Steroids: Prednisone / Dexamethasone / Others (Oral and Injections)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Calories
      Surrender

Calories Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      B12 Difficiency, Possibly salycilic poising from fenugreek and ginger
      Almost a month into tinnitus, I went to an ENT, and I had 40db loss at 4k, he injected Dexamethasone. My Tinnitus increased from 5/10 to 10/10. It became unbearable. On the verge of the hill, and may jump any time!!

2. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I went to an ENT in Tucson, Az. I just cames down with t at the time. I asked for steroids.
      He denied me. I feel like I really missed a window of opportunity. Now Im going on 2.5 years is it too late for steroids or is the risk too much? Thank you

3. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Doctor does not know how to inject.
      Propably he did to you damage from false operation.Kill him.

4. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Iam 5 days T free continously 0/10
      iam taking
      dexamethasone flupirtine vitamins b1 b2 b3 b6 b12 e magnesium ALCAR lorazepam & 100mg nac.
      i believe that 99% of this result is from dexamethasone
      I have bad side effects from dexamethasone

5. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Is there anywhere I can buy prednisone? I've only gotten 6days of prednisone and I'm on my last day!!!
      Don't EVER let an ENT or doctor tell you it's too late, it's never too late, the prednisone could still work!
      I'm on 80mg prednisone 5g day NAC, 5g day glutathione, 2g day vitamin E, potassium.
      There are new studies that you could regain hearing by raising aldosterone. I'm not sure if you can do that with florinef or potassium.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      How do I present my case so that I can get the injections? Does it have to be unexplained hearing loss or within a 1 day time period? I'm handicapped and can't work or talk to people.

7. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Injections have side effects and are last resort.
      If you have the hearing loss from 2005 is too late for corticosteroids.
      Corticosteroids work when situation is fresh

8. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      the prednisone and valtrex are working, I'm not sure if the injections will damage my ear drum though. There is a lot of risk involved and I could end up with balance damage/vestibular and unable to even use hearing aids.
      I also added in NAC and glutathione and vitamin E,A and ubiquinol and it seems to help.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I started to lower the prednisone dose and began to have ear congestion and really severe hearing loss. I think a month at 60-80mg may save my hearing. I notice when I take it I have ear pain and tinnitus and feel that it is working. It's really difficult not being able to hear people speak or converse with people

10. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I have heard terrible stories about people who lost their balance and went deaf on the injections, I think they were referring to tympanic injections on one forum. So I think I am just going to try the prednisone and vitamins and try to get hearing aids

11. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      If the roids work the inflammation goes away. If they dont work hello inflammation.
      I had a torn rotator cuff I went months with it it never healed. I finally got steroid shots and it healed.
      I wished the ears worked that way.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I started to mix 40mg of prednisone and 2.5mg/day of dexamethasone and I had significant symptoms. I felt a little discomfort and a little pain and ear popping in the ear canal going down to the neck area. it seems to be a symptom of something going on with my ear cells and the nerve maybe it's the cranial nerves which affect hearing. people lose hearing from Bell's Palsy
      aldosterone is also something that could help

what is the worst that could happen from trying this for a month? I could become severely diabetic, but I'm also taking metformin (and drinking too much sugar and carbs). I think the bone loss might be in the range of 5-10%

13. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      all i know i took flosteron injection and my tinnitus went up 30%

14. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      i have stopped corticosteroids many for many days.
      My T last 20 days is from 0 to 1 (mostly 0) and for some hours becomes higher but i kill it with RTG.
      I think the overall improvement i have was from corticosteroids.

15. Jamiebond

Jamiebond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/03/2015, then chronic 04/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mefloquine ototoxicity
      Hi guys,

I'm new here and I was wondering if Prednisone taken orally might help me.
      I've had tinnitus ringing episodes of up to 30 seconds from 16th March 2015, then it became 24/7 all day tinnitus on the 4th April 2015. My cause is most likely ototoxicity of a medication and I was wondering since it has been more than a month if Prednisone might help make my tinnitus go away completely or even just reduce the sound level permanently.

What I have been gathering is that Prednisone can help with hearing loss but I don't have any hearing loss from the hearing tests I've taken recently. Other than a temporary hearing loss in my right ear in Early March before my tinnitus began. But two weeks later another hearing test showed both ears were back to being equal.

Also, it seems people who have had some positive experiences with Prednisone were only temporary and that when they stopped the Prednisone their T came back to the same level and someone even had it come back worse??

So guys, I really appreciate any advice.

I don't know what to do and whether to try it or not...

16. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      I had middle and outer ear infection. Was on 8 days of klacid(biaxin) 500mg and on 6th day I've decided to say "fuck it" and went for predinsone prescription. It helped immensely in first 12 hours for me. My schedule is

4x60mg (from wchich 2 days were still on antibiotics and 2 are without)
      2x40mg
      2x20mg

I just hope it wont bring back infection in middle ear and everything will be all right.
      I'm currently on day 4 of predinsone, wchich means i'm 2 days without antibiotic and I'm sweating like crazy at night.

My tinnitus was 11/10 in first days of infection. During antibiotic treatment it went to 5-6/10 (i could mask it but barely), and now its at 2/10 (i can sit in moderately quiet room and not be extremely bothered by it).

• Like Like x 1
    17. Zaid

Zaid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown until now
      Hey guys, I had my T since the 21st of April for no any reason. I had a hearing test, acoustic reflex and MRI. All came back negative ! I just have been prescribed prednisolone 60mg dosage per day, starting from tomorrow. I am around 2weeks now, despite that it is mostly effective in the first 72 hours, am going to give it a shot and keep you posted.

But please advise me about anything I need to be aware of or take into consideration.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Xorthian
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can you please post your schedule how you are supposed to take it like I did in my post?
      I've heard some people take it in short duration like 5 days but others are up to 2 weeks on it. Im curious what dosage you have for how many days and how long will you taper from it.

Keep in mind this is anti-inflammatory drug wchich means if you have infection you wont be able to get rid of it as easily as if you didnt take med. In my case I was sweating like crazy tonight probably because there is still some infection in me.

Take them in the morning with food. Your body creates those hormones between 3am and 9am I believe so its not wise to take it before sleeping (thats what my doc had said)

Be positive I know how devastating increase in tinnitus is. I literally wanted to kill myself when it went through the roof 2 weeks ago. Tommorow im reducing prednisone to 40mg for 2 days and im afraid how it will turn out for my body. I might stick with it for 3 days and then taper. Not sure yet. Will see in next 48 hours.

Fighting with tinnitus feels like waiting for death sentence to come or not. If it increases after steroid back to previous level I have no idea how I will continue to live.

I keep my hopes up because maybe I had tinnitus during infection because of inflammation and now after week of fighting it off bacteria died but inflammation hasnt cleared up so maybe thats why prednisone helped me to reduce tinnitus closer to previous levels I had for years.

19. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I experienced insomnia, so just in case ask to your doctor something to balance this possible side effect. Good luck

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Zaid

Zaid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown until now
      Thanks for the advice guys !

Alright, that's my dosage schedule for 15 days,

5x60mg
      10x40mg

I am around 98kg in weight

I just had my first dosage for today 60mg after my breakfest.

Will keep you posted

Cheers from Dubai

21. Zaid

Zaid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown until now
      Update

Day 1 - tinnitus does seems to have lowered down, but I can't scale it ! Because It could be masked by the street sound as am driving, which was not the case at all once it started !

As you suggested guys, I really was sweating too much today with high resting heart beats ! It all went down though now after 9 hours from taking the Prednisone.

Hmmm...another weird phenomena that it looks like my t switch to the right ear...can confirm though...little bit confusing...

Anyhow, I will keep you posted, but until then can anybody tell me, if they ever experienced a better or cured t with Prednisone. How long it took ,

Is it a gradual effect or sudden ?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. Xorthian
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Zaid
      your schedule is pretty brutal but it's considered normal medical practice from what i've seen. Compared to you mine feels too short and I consider doing something like 4x60 + 4x40 and then immediately stop. Not sure really. Those steroids are fucking scary when you read about them.

Calm down with how it works on you. From what I've gathered improvements usually start between 48 and 72 hour but for some it may be even later. Even as long as couple of days after steroids were finished.

My pulse is around 85-105 when on it, and bp is around 130/85 with +/- 10 dips both ways. Thats higher than my norm.

In my case I cant yet make up mind how it will turn out. I'm scared shitless. Looks like it tunes down my tinnitus when I take it for couple of hours then it comes back to some degree in the evening. Thats probably because of inflammation.

23. Zaid

Zaid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown until now
      @Xorthian

Yeah I do agree with you that it looks as a burtul schedule

That's because the tinnitus clinic here told me that they have chosen that as I am quiet late now...2 weeks already...risky I know :S .....

In respect to the heart beating ! Mine reached 120 for a while actually with a slight dizziness feeling...i will have to keep an eye on that and take the right action.

So the effectiveness timeframe isn't Clear, anyhow I will proceed with the medication unless something else arises...

I am taking Betaserc 16mg x 3 / day and stugeron 25mg x 2 / day with it... Any thoughts about those ones ? I understand it's different from one person to another but have you guys ever been subscribed with those drugs ? If so, your thoughts are welcomed !

24. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      is there a chance that too long or too much steroids can cause brain damage or hearing loss? I've regained some of my hearing comprehension but now I have terrible ear congestion and head numbness after a month.
      I'm not sure if the prednisone or high blood sugar or methyl b12, NAC glutathione, vitamin ACE, ginko could be ausing the ear clogging and head numbness or klonopin

25. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Betaserc might be slightly beneficial if you have a very specific condition such as Meniere's but even then its use is controversial. For your typical, run of the mill tinnitus, absolutely and utterly useless.

Stugeron on the other hand is quite an interesting drug.
      Calcium blocker, antihistamine, possible potassium channel inhibitor. Acts on vestibular hair cells and the labyrinth which makes it quite specific. It one of the closest things to an actual 'tinnitus' drug, however it is usually prescribed for nausea and headache prevention.
      It's actually one of the drugs that has a good effect on my T, however I need a dose of ~75mg to notice the difference.
      Be careful though as it has some nasty side effects such as exposing 'dormant' Parkinsonism after heavy and continuous use (reversible after drug discontinuation) .

As far as the steroids are concerned, I think you worry too much. I've taken as much as 60mg methylprednisolone 3 times daily and barely noticed any side effect.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    26. Zaid

Zaid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown until now
      Alright, time for an update

Day 3

Dosage:

60mg prednisone / morning
      3x16mg betaserc
      2x25mg stugeron

Tinnitus level dropped from 7-8/10 to 4-5 / 10

Good improvement in the ability of masking it. The volume dropped down to around 20dB from 35dB.

Will continue on the same medication schedule for the coming 7days but the prednisone dosgae will go down to 40mg after the 5th day.

The interesting point that the T start to fluncuate from my left to right ear despite that the frequency / pitch is not changing except the volume..any thoughts about such behavior ? Has anyone experienced the same ?

Tnx

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. Xorthian
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea if my T is starting to lose volume because I'm week after infection and it's just healing like it would or If prednisone helped me.

I've taken so far 4x60mg and 3x40mg. I should have done 20mg today but I do feel better and I dont want to waste window of opportunity with corticosteroids. Even if it might be placebo effect in my case or I just get better because I was supposed to.

Overall I've used 360mg out of 500mg I have. I could go on for 2 more days as people take it even up for 2 weeks with no taper (like you @Zaid ) but I might call hospital and tell them I've fucked up dosage and ask them to tell me how to quit it. I dont think docs understand how debilitating Tinnitus can be so I'm willing to take some risks.

I also have attacks of extreme anxiety that taking predinsone might lower my immune response so hard infection will come back in middle ear. However ent looked yesterday in my ear and said it looks clear and healthy. No fluid behind ear, and no signs of any infection. I went to him after massive panic attack (that was first second day on lower predinsone dose so i dont know - maybe it was connected?)

I would say being positive that prednisone will have long lasting effect is one of hardest battles in my life.
      Afterall there are reports of people that had only momentarily improvement.

I've also done audiogram. There is 20db at 8khz hearing loss in my right ear (one that had massive tinnitus) and probably same dip up to 12khz.

Also @Zaid I'm really happy for you man. hopefully we both will get even better.

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Xorthian
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So @Zaid how its going? Any further reduction in loudness?

I've dropped prednisone at 8th day (4x60 + 4x40) as I didnt felt like it gave me more of an further improvement (if it did at all actually)

29. Zaid

Zaid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown until now
      Hey @Xorthian, thanks for asking :)

Well there have been no any further reduction in the volume or pitch frequency

But T is more active in means that it is fluncuating more / quiet tonal

Zero T is both ears now but shifed to be more centralized in the brain only !

I will continue the course until day 10 or 15 depending on how things proceed as I am in the 6th day.

I really don't know how to interrpurt the above as I don't have any hearing loss or nerve issues as per the MRI.

Shall I check with a dentist if I have TMJ, even though I don't suffer from its major symptoms

or shall I stop having my beta blocker "nebeilet" which I started to take early this year after my palpitations started due to anexity ?

My T is 20days old now ! Lol ! It has a birth certificate also ! ^^

Advices and thoughts are much appreciated !

30. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      this is probably in wrong thread, but has anyone heard of transderm scop patch ? a doctor gave prescription for motion sickness (that's what its for) and its a patch you put behind ear, well she said her tinnitus left completely, zero until she took the patch off and it was out of her system... but she did have vision problems while wearing it... but no tinnitus. anyone else heard of this?