Strange Reactive Flares/Whistling in Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Frizz, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Frizz
      Confused

Frizz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Elephant ear washer (Ear syringing)
      Hi everyone. I wasn't really sure where to post this, because I honestly don't know if it's tinnitus, hyperacusis, tensor tympani, or something else, but I've been really confused lately about a new symptom that has crept up...

So it's been a few weeks since my problems arguably began with my irrigation mess (though ETD had been looming beforehand) and I actually have been doing better. The ringing seems to have decreased to a light hiss and the pressure in my ears, though it tends to go up and down, is not nearly as bad as it was before my steroid tapers. For the past few days, however, something strange has been going on, mostly with my left ear, which coincidentally had more fluid + was irrigated more.

Whenever I sniff, exhale, scratch furniture, tap something, basically the slightest of sounds, my ear flares and whistles/rings in reaction for a split second (essentially as long as the sound it's reacting to lasts), then immediately returns to baseline which is almost inaudible. This even hurts quite a bit too, on the left side of my head. I spoke with my ENT about this and she said this noise sensitivity is not uncommon with people recovering from bad ETD and should go away, but I was wondering if anyone had any other advice or experience they could share...

At first I thought this might be hyperacusis, but the sounds themselves don't really bother me, it's more like my ear's reaction to them. Honestly I can go into a clattering restaurant and not even flinch (don't worry I've mostly been indoors staying away from sound the last few days), but in a quiet room it's so annoying!! What is this?!

Thanks for reading :arghh:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Frizz
      Confused

Frizz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ugh what the hell... Woke up in the middle of the night to my left ear burning internally and a deafening fleeting Tinnitus attack... What is going on...

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Frizz
      Confused

Frizz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So now... My ear's "reactions" have gotten so bad that I feel immense pain and shock/nausea from just a spoon tapping a bowl... Can hyperacusis take weeks + a month to appear after an incident? This is torture...

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      How are you doing now?

5. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Yes. That is what I am going through right now.

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yes, hyperacusis can be delayed or hidden, or disguised as some other hearing problem. For instance, you may be deafened after a very loud sound and then hyperacusis can kick after your hearing recovers, until you hear more natural and loud and no longer deafened.

There are a lot of weird feelings inside the ear related to hyperacusis but for most doctors this is going to have zero clinical significance.

7. Soren Fogh
      Suicidal

Soren Fogh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosive going of 1 meter from me.
      I have experienced the exact same problem. Any news?

8. LowHumPulse

LowHumPulse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Syringing at Doctor's Office
      Same thing. Seems really rare because nobody ever talk about it.

9. Nathan McAlum
      Hurting

Nathan McAlum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Noise maybe?
      I have this, it actively plays a new whistle like tone with sound, for example, if my fan is on I hear some strange whistle like sound fluttering with the sound of my fan and only stops as soon as soon as the fan stops or if I am in complete silence...