Strange Thing Happened

Discussion in 'Support' started by mrdude1234, Jun 20, 2015.

1. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yes, just thought I would mention it as I got bitten by the mold bug :)

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

I have no hearing loss according to headphone beep test (I'm sure there is a technical name for it).

Thanks RaZaH. I really appreciate your input.

3. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Can you look around the outside of your building is there any radio or cellular antennas or panel anttenae around pointing to your building?

I always paranoid about such installations as I suspect radio frequency can affect T but cannot confirm based on my own experience.

Please check and let us know.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

I have a satellite dish on my roof for the subscription TV service.

I've noticed another symptom, when I breath in heavily through my nose, my ears feel plugged up, then I need to do the valsalva (sp) manoeuvre to unblock them. Is this normal? Could this indicate a sinus problem?

I'm just so stumped at the moment, I have no idea why I have a high pitched ringing with no hearing loss, and my girlfriend has exactly the same thing.

I can deal with my own tinnitus but it breaks my heart that she has it too. We will be fine I'm sure but I just can't help but to feel terrible and that my condition has somehow caused this.

I did a session of the hyperbaric chamber today for an hour, not sure if I'll go back as I'm scared it will do something to my Eustachian tube and make matters worse.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Ok so my girlfriend just texted me (she's out of town) and she's starting to feel dizzy.

I also felt dizzy about a week after my tinnitus started then everything else kicked off. I'm praying she doesn't have the same symptoms as me as it was a nightmare.

Can this be a strain of virus that is passed on? Epstein Barr maybe? I'm quite terrified at this point as I don't want anything bad to happen to her.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Gosh I'm so sorry you and your girlfriend are going through this, it sounds awful and I'm sure it's very stressful.

We're all here to support and brainstorm with you, but you need to take all of these questions you're asking us and go to a doctor with all of them as soon as possible - both of you. A doctor will be able to check your body and will have knowledge of medical ailments, symptoms etc. If you both have something that seems to be progressing, do not stop seeing doctors until you find one who will help you figure out the mystery.

Until you can see a doctor, try to remain as calm as possible, but make seeing a physician(s) a priority.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Thanks for your concern. I have seen lots of doctors over the past month including the emergency room.

All tests came back ok. MRI of the head was fine, blood work showed low vitamin d and that's about it.

I'm going to assume the same thing for my girlfriend as she's reasonably healthy otherwise like I was.

She will see a doc next week regardless, but I don't see a physician doing anything diffe for her as they did for me.

In the instance that it's lyme disease or something like that, she has old scripts for minocyline. I saw a lyme literate doc who prescribed me with minocyline in the instance that my vague symptoms were a result of lyme.

It's just strange to me that our symptoms are almost identical and progressing in a similar manner.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Now I seem to have a high pitched tinnitus in my right ear as well as my left ear..... Sigh :sick:

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

[Sorry for the barrage of posts]

I think at this point that whatever is causing my tinnitus, is not related to hearing damage at least. The thing that gives me hope is that some other condition/issue is causing this and maybe resolving that will resolve the tinnitus.

The thing is, it's just so high pitched and it feels permanent. The T is not intermittent in nature and does not alter to anything. It sucks because the new tinnitus in my right ear is now louder than the left ear. I wonder if there is anything I can do to figure out what is causing this.

I am taking minocycline at the moment and not sure if this may have something to do with it..

10. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Unless you are sure you need a treatment, be careful about going through with it. Tinnitus and vestibular damage can (though not frequently) result from some anti-biotics.

Try not to worry, just because something "feels permanent" does not mean that it is. Do not worry about having something like Lyme or EBV until you've been tested and them move from there. What did your doctors think was going on when you visited and told them your symptoms?

If you're unsure about mold and getting it checked isn't wildly expensive I might check that out. Mold can hide in your air conditioner/ air conditioning ducts as well, I had to replace mine this summer.

I hope you and your girlfriend feel better and get answers soon! Let us know how things go.

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's not generating any significant electromagnetic fields. If one is inclined to believe that EMFs have metabolic effects in humans, the things to worry about (in this order) are:
      * having an active cellphone on your body / next to your head
      * sitting right next to a wifi device
      * having a smart meter in an odd configuration such that your house wiring acts as an antennae and amplifies the signal
      * living right next to a cell tower

Having spent too much time researching this stuff, I think it's likely that these devices do have physiological effects on people, but connecting them directly to any condition like tinnitus is not possible based on current data. What we do know is that EMFs in the field strength commonly found in urban environments today, does impact intracellular functioning through calcium channel disruption, and possibly other mechanisms. What this means for human life is a big question mark, which means it's entirely possible that it's actually beneficial.

Based on everything you said I'd be suspicious of a virus or some kind of environmental issue. Are you able to just dart off to the countryside somewhere for a few weeks?

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

I mean I'd love to but that's just not an option. I was going to try stay at my girlfriends place for a week to see if it's something related to my house.

I hate that my right ear started ringing, I wish doctors could help or give me something to prevent this all from getting worse.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Ok just went to my GP today, confirmed I have positive test for Epstein Barr and the test shows it's recent too.

GP says my symptoms are not typical symptoms of the virus but I've no idea. I guess if it's EBV I may have given it to my girlfriend who also had tinnitus now as well as some dizziness. Hopefully all of this passes.

14. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I'm not sure Epstein Barr infection is indicative of anything. 90% of the adult US population is thought to be infected by this virus.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

True, but the GP said they test indicated that I was infected recently.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Bump in case anyone else has some insight regarding tinnitus/my symptoms + EBV.

17. Joshua Wark
      Hurting

Joshua Wark Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/15/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental?
      Did you ever get this straightened out? I have horrible tinnitus along with severe neurological symptoms (horrible nerve pain). Doc said I have EBV and she's sure it's causing it but wow it's so bad I'm in hell. Did you ever get better? My test indicated very high levels and that I was infected recently as well.

18. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sometimes people have very light T and don't notice until you talk about it. So far my best friend has started to notice a light ringing sometimes, my mom and my husband