Stress-Induced Tinnitus — 19 Years Old

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Erin1997, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Erin1997
      Happy

Erin1997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hey everyone,

So I've had tinnitus since June 2017. At that point a period of extended stress had ended (period lasting 7 months about) and my bf went away for a month on vacation which kinda stressed me out too. I was taking new acne medications as well (but stopped as soon as ringing began).

I noticed a slight slight ring in my right ear and could really only hear it at night or if I was really quiet.

Now it is a static buzz in both ears but it seems to sometimes dominate in the left ear.

Is it possible it could clear up one day?

Also any treatment method suggestions? I'm first trying zinc pills right now.

2. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey.

Hope you're well

Which acne medication were you using as some are known to possibly cause/make tinnitus worse.

Thanks,

Sanj

3. w-drak
      Digging it

w-drak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      This is something (static buzz), which 9 out 10 people has stated they hear in the anechoic chamber during my experiment last month.

You are very young, there is always higher chance of T fading in case of young people (mine faded to 10% when I was 16 - and I have never thought about since - till my second onset :( ).

As you can read in the other people introduction posts, there is a big chance that your T will fade away. Keep us informed and do not forget to post your success story afterwards.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erin1997
      Happy

Erin1997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I was using 2 antibiotic ones, doxycycline first and then minocycline, till I finally got to accutane (which is the one I noticed the ringing first for)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erin1997
      Happy

Erin1997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thank you so much; it will probably fade. I'm just afraid of permanent ringing

6. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Okay.

Well, tinnitus is listed as a rare side effect for doxycycline (https://www.drugs.com/sfx/doxycycline-side-effects.html) and a common side effect for minocycline (https://www.drugs.com/sfx/minocycline-side-effects.html), and is listed as a potential side effect of Accutane (https://www.drugs.com/sfx/accutane-side-effects.html).

Unfortunately, there is a possibility that any one of these drugs or the combination of them are what could have given you tinnitus, especially if some of them were orally administered.

The good news is that there is a chance that the tinnitus could be temporary and not permanent which is sometimes the case for ototoxic medications and even if it is perminant there is every possibility that it will get lower with time and if for some reason it doesn't get lower with time then there is a high chance you will habituate to it and tune it out of your mind after a while.

Hope this helps.

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I hope your static buzz clears up for you. I have a static hiss that is very loud and annoying. Sometimes it goes away randomly until I awaken from a nap or wake up in the morning. I have no idea if your acne med caused your noise to start. This link talks about stress/anxiety and tinnitus. I have a lot of stress, but still unsure if it is related to my tinnitus? I've tried many prescription meds and OTC supplements with limited results helping my noise.
      http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety/symptoms/tinnitus-and-anxiety.shtml
      https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/tinnitus-and-stress

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erin1997
      Happy

Erin1997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thank you so much, I have been anxious about this the last few days and any kind of positive news makes me feel a whole lot better. :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erin1997
      Happy

Erin1997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      thank you so much for the links; any help is of great help to me!!

10. w-drak
      Digging it

w-drak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      We are all afraid. Don't get me wrong, I am super afraid right now. But you are really young and there is quite a strong possibility that medication is the reason, so you really have very high chance to complete recovery. But very important thing is to remember, that most of the people can hear a hiss when they really focus on it. So when your T will stop to interfere with your life, stop looking for it. :)

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erin1997
      Happy

Erin1997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thank you for the comfort during these times; it really really means a lot :)