Strong Pulsatile Tinnitus Mainly When Getting Up from Lying Down, or Standing Up After Sitting

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pebbles1, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Pebbles1

Pebbles1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, so basically I’m new to having tinnitus and I wanted to get people's opinions on what I’m experiencing right now. I’m 17 years old and I’ve had normal tinnitus since Februaryish this year and it’s just slowly but surely become louder and more problematic.

Originally it was just high pitched in both ears but as time went on I noticed it become much worse in my left ear. My left ear then had different sounds such as fizzing, crackling, quiet pulsing when my neck was in a certain position and many other random sounds.

My right ear is okay, it seems to be the general high pitched tinnitus, but since 5 days ago I’ve noticed a really strong pulsatile tinnitus in my left ear. I’d only ever get pulsatile tinnitus if my neck was in a funny position or when my blood pressure gets very high (after exercise), however this new pulsatile tinnitus happens no matter what I do with my neck.

It’s like a strong whooshing sensation more than a sound and it is triggered sometimes randomly but mainly when I change position from lying down to sitting up or from sitting to standing, and then calms after a few minutes.

When it first happened it didn’t feel pulsatile but the more I pay attention to it I feel like I do notice it pulsing, I’m not sure if it’s exactly in time with my pulse though, it feels slower usually and sometimes a little irregular.

The best way to describe it is like a really strong whooshing feeling but a thunderstorm sound in my ear.

I get headaches every day at the moment but my doc has said they are a mix of tension and migrainous headaches which I have dealt with since Decemberish so before I got my tinnitus. Also just to note I have extremely severe anxiety so I’ve been under extreme stress since January of this year with it, I’m not sure if that matters in particular but I thought I’d note anyway.

I am currently waiting to see an ENT but this symptom is very new and is quite concerning as when you look up whooshing in ear most of the causes are bad.

Can anyone relate to having this feeling and share what it was that causes this for them? And does this seem concerning to anyone? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    2. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
    3. Aio88

Aio88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi! I am glad I found someone with my symtomps.
      Sorry for my english because I am Spanish.
      I'm 30 years old. In May of this year I started noticing a sound in my right ear only when I got up from the couch or after sitting for a long time. Just when I got up I felt palpitations and pressure in my head, a few seconds later I associated a pulsating tinnitus in my right ear that disappeared in a few seconds. Lately it has been happening to me in bed too.

I am very worried, I only notice it a couple of times a day and it lasts a few seconds but I would like to know if something similar happens to someone...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pebbles1

Pebbles1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      yes I also get pressure in my head with it, my best guess is it’s a circulation issue and perhaps when we stand up the blood kinda doesn’t get to the head quick enough? I am probably wrong but that’s what it feels like is happening. Anyway I’m so glad to hear someone else has the same symptoms as me. How long have you been experiencing this for?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pebbles1

Pebbles1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Aio88

Aio88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's been happening to me for about two months. I have no memory of how it started. The first times I noticed it when I was on the couch and I got up in the bathroom or in the kitchen: first palpitations and pressure in the head, then this "whooshing" sound for 5-10 seconds, and it goes away.
      I also think that there must be a vascular reason (maybe when we get up we have very low blood pressure and we make too much blood go to our heads?)
      What worries me is that this only takes place in one ear and is not bilateral. I have read that many women have a very asymmetrical cerebral venous system, with the right side being dominant, could this be it?
      Have you seen a doctor? I'm a nurse, I'll ask in my hospital...

• Like Like x 1
    7. Secole

Secole Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18 August 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey there. I hope you are well. So, this is my story. I started having crazy headaches that took me to the ER everytime. I was then given meds that made me put on weight. It was after a few months I began hearing a pulsing sound in my right ear. Whenever I got one those headaches, the whooshing sounds intensified. After going back and forth, to point of getting grommets for nothing, I found an amazing neuro who diagnosed me with IIH. Symptoms are pressure headaches that mimic migraines, dizziness, visual problems and pulsatile tinnitus due to the narrowing of veins in the brain that is unable to drain out extra cerebral spinal fluid. I was put on medication and the pulsatile stops, as the meds drain out the extra fluid. When the fluid build up again, the sounds come back. I still need more tests and procedures but am unable to get them due to COVID-19. This is something you can consider seeing that you mentioned headaches and a pressure like feeling headache.

Can I also add that weight gain contribute to this condition. I am currently on a weight loss programme, as I need to lose 14kg to be in the normal BMI range.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Aio88

Aio88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      thank you so mucho for you post!
      I am on mi weight and I have no headache.. how was your tinnitus? Constant or intermittent in a day? How long did it last? What actions did it appear?

9. Pumpkins

Pumpkins Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noticed First after bacterial pneumonia
      Hi Pebbles!
      I’m in the exact same boat you are in. I first noticed my PT when walking into a grocery store. It seemed as though the fans or air conditioning noises in the store were pulsating in my ears....I got super nervous, then, as fast as it started, it went away. It’s only recent, that I discovered the pulsating noise was actually in sync with my heart beat.
      Since then, I’ve noticed my PT about 20+ or so times. It’s been happening more
      frequently now - like - when I stand up and begin walking. I also feel pressure in the top to top-back area of my head. I’ve had mild headaches for the passed 2 weeks as well. Mostly behind the eyes.
      My primary care doc (whom I saw today) doesn’t seem too bothered by it, as long as it’s not 24/7. I’m so nervous. I also suffer with severe anxiety so this is not helping the matter.

10. Pumpkins

Pumpkins Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noticed First after bacterial pneumonia
      Thank you for sharing your experience Secole.

what type of testing did you start off with? An MRA or MRI given? I’m currently having “pressure” headaches on and off for days/weeks. The pressure in my head that occurs during the onset of The PT is what scares me.
      If BMI is a factor in this, then I’m definitely going to be losing some weight!

11. Secole

Secole Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18 August 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There are some days when it is constant, it's days when I'm having really bad pressure headaches. Then there are days when I don't hear it all all. It can go like this for 2 to 3 days, I will only hear that whoosh if I bend down or look up fast. Right now, I haven't heard it for 2 days, I think it's due to the pain meds that I've been taking for the migraines.

12. Secole

Secole Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18 August 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey there, I saw a neuro who booked me in for an MRI. That came out normal. This neuro was no help. When the test came back normal, I thought she would investigate more, but she didn't. Now that I'm seeing a different neuro, she has ordered an CTA and CTV , to look for narrowing or blockages. She also said a lumbar puncture would help to see the pressure on my brain. I unfortunately haven't had these done due to COVID-19. I also get mad pulsatile tinnitus when I have pressure headaches, as well as pain behind my eyes. Maybe IIH is something to consider when you go to the doctor. I've read up a lot and every article that lists the symptoms of headache, pain in the eyes, visual problems, overweight and pulsatile tinnitus is linked to IIH.

13. Aio88

Aio88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello Pumpkins!
      Is the PT happenning one or both ears?? Mine is EXACTLY the same. I wake up and start walking, feel lot of pressure in my head and then a few seconds of PT in right ear...

14. Aio88

Aio88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How you going? Something new?