Struggling for Silence: The Story of Gaby Olthuis

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Tinnitus Talk, May 26, 2019.

1. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Hazel how has the feedback been regarding this interview? I don't check Facebook or other social media sites.

Did the BTA respond at all?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    2. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      We got some nice responses on Facebook, but not a lot of discussion. Overall number of views at this time are about 10,000, which is nice but not great (some of our videos have gotten over 100,000 views). We also know a lot of those people will have watched only the first few minutes.

To be honest, I had expected more of a push from members in terms of promoting this video. We've been hearing for years that this is the kind of content our members (or at least a very vocal contingent of our members) want out there for awareness raising. But now that it's out there not a lot of people seem to be pushing it. It does take time and effort to promote this kind of content and get people to watch it. We paid for some targeted Facebook ads, but beyond that just don't have the time for promotion at the moment.

No we have not heard from them on this. I'm not sure whether/how something like this would fit in their strategy, and I don't want to make too many interpretations on their behalf.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Regarding the BTA, I was just expecting something along the lines of nice job. Perhaps just recognition of this very powerful interview and how it was done with such integrity and professionalism.

I am disappointed - greatly.

We often recognize the BTA's efforts here.
      Yes I get this. People want to hear the "story" but then just do nothing. I am sure Joan has gone through these emotions also. One puts their heart and soul into awareness to be... I don't know the word right now.

But... always remember it made a difference.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I tweeted the big hitters this video. Tomorrow is when I plan to go into the #tinnitus hashtag on Twitter and link it to everyone there.

• Like Like x 8
    5. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I just do not understand why the BTA would not at the least recognize @Hazel's and Joan's interview.

To me this is unacceptable when they use us for feedback and support.

I went through this with the ATA years ago. Things have not changed. Organizations have their own agendas and refuse to work together with the very people who donate towards the organizations.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      :mad: I wish someone big would bite and just spread it. Omfg.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      I have not yet watched the video but the remarks made here lead me to think it is very well done.

Personally, I would like to see it used at one or more professional research meetings, perhaps at the opening of the meeting, so that researchers can fully embrace the depth of the need the tinnitus community has for their work. Other's stories such as Jazzer's might fit in as well.

TC

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    8. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I agree and add @Samantha R's story.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Has the BTA still not responded?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    10. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      You already know my thoughts on this production, but I’d like to publicly reiterate that the sheer professionalism that exudes from it on a near-zero budget is mind-blowing. I appreciate the insane amount of hours that went into making it and believe it poignantly shows the darker side of tinnitus in a way that makes the audience think.

Hazel handles the interview brilliantly and asks the questions very respectfully. I know you had an intense time with the audio (Markku), but you got around it and your hard work ultimately paid off. This video will live on forever and will be a testament to Gaby’s life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. josh77

josh77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/4/2015
      She was very lucky to have a doctor to help. It sucks to have to handle yourself or blow your own head off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      I wish I had never watched the original video, unfortunately it was pushed to me by YouTube when I first got tinnitus. It scared the hell out of me. It still scares me today. I have made major progress over the past few years but recently a spike has me feeling very low, especially at the 5 year mark.

But your interview with Gaby's mother was great. Even just watching Part 1 has given me hope.

Thank you for making and sharing this.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Sorry to say, the 5-year cycle will get shorter. I hope for better treatments or a cure. A device is not a treatment.

14. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m not sure what you’re getting at sorry. What do you mean?

15. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      As a 30 year sufferer I've had many spikes. It was just an FYI what to expect. I could be wrong.

16. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh I see. Yes I can imagine. Well I’ve had many spikes over the years, just saying because this last one seems so different but who knows anymore.

• Hug Hug x 2
    17. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      There's something really important to consider when watching the film. Around the 10:50 mark, Gaby's mother talks about how Gaby had always been sensitive to sound, even as a child. She would come downstairs and ask the parents to turn down the TV, which they would do despite thinking themselves it wasn't that loud.

It's this that makes me believe Gaby was likely born with some kind of breakage in her own hearing system that the vast majority of us don't have, and that perhaps that was the underlying reason, which ultimately led to such unbearable levels of hyperacusis and tinnitus after the trauma of being exposed to the noise of a bomb no less. It's a heartbreaking story but I do think Gaby's case is very unusual.

• Informative Informative x 4
    18. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Agree. Sometimes I wish I'd never seen it, but on the other hand I'm glad it was done to raise awareness.

19. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I watched the video and it hit me hard. I cried like I lost a family member.

G-d bless Gaby.

• Winner Winner x 1