Struggling to Habituate for a Second Time

Discussion in 'Support' started by noisebox, Aug 30, 2015.

1. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I had my T 3 years when it suddenly worsened and began spiking daily in March this year. Pretty sure I know why but that's no help. I'm now hit by hyperacusis and super reactivity of the T.
      I have no idea how long it took to habituate the first time, I can only see now looking back how far I had come.
      This time my struggle is made worse by having a really bad sleep pattern due to menopause.
      Last time I never did mask and slept well every day.
      Poor sleep is making my recovery so hard I don't feel I can habituate at all. I'm facing normal noise as best I can fingers in ears if an ambulance with sirens goes by etc. Plugs for hairdrying and no hoovering. But I don't know what else I can do. Trying affirmations but struggling. I'm in tears most days longing to be back in January when life and living was just fine.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi noisebox.
      Sorry to hear you are having a bad time again and not sleeping well due to tinnitus and the menopause.
      Try a warm drink and relaxing bath and lavender on your pillow .
      The sense of smell is a great tinnitus distraction and will help you relax too....lol.
      If you have not tried sound therapy that can help also.
      Playing natural sounds lower than your tinnitus with pillow speakers all through the night will help and work its magic while asleep.
      Your brain works hard pick up your natural sound you have chosen and push the tinnitus sound to the background to help habitation .
      I'm 50 and wear dual hearing aids.....lol glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      glynis I remember you from the useless BTA forum, I was one who could not manage to get back on. But I don't care.
      I was ridiculed or not habituating, fancy it getting me in the end.
      I do have warm milky drink, no pcs hour before bed, lavender on pillow, mostly I hate sleep sounds as my T reacts to most things. I never need sounds at bed time in 3 years but now, what a trial. I'm also trying hypnotherapy.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi ,
      Nice to post to you again,
      Welcome inbox me to say who you are but if your name begins with C know who you are. hope you have always been happy with my posts and will keep doing my best support others as well as running a group with Dot.
      I'm just finding my feet in this forum and how it runs but always happy to talk with members on the phone .
      Tinnitus is hard going and habituation only comes at your own pace and for me needed digital hearing aids in the end.....lol glynis

5. Indianajohn
      Arsewit

Indianajohn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud chronic noise for three months
    6. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi noise box ,
      You know me well from the work I do on the BTA.
      Happy to talk to you or anyone over the phone who struggle with tinnitus....take care...lol glynis