Struggling with Constant Tinnitus Spikes / Unlikely Causes: Flucloxacillin or Hammer Drill

Discussion in 'Support' started by James Foley, Jun 12, 2020.

1. James Foley

James Foley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had been spike free for a while but over the last couple of weeks I've been hit by two that have stuck with me and I'm struggling to find ways to cope.

First spike came after a week of Flucloxacillin to treat folliculitis. I did try to avoid the medication, but nothing was helping and the condition was just getting worse. I had no change in my tinnitus during the course of Flucloxacillin, but nearing the end of the week my anxiety crept in about things not being 100% resolved at which point my tinnitus shifted up a couple of notches.

A couple of weeks pass up to the point where I had an Air Conditioner installed, this was 3 days ago. I tried my best to avoid all drill sounds, but while outside in the garden I did get caught by a short blast of a hammer drill. Since then my tinnitus has shifted up again and my anxiety is through the roof with constant ear checking and worrying.

I'm 99% sure the Flucloxacillin didn't do any damage, and the volume of the drill while being outside wasn't loud enough to cause an alert on my Apple watch (recorded at 70dB) or prevent me from speaking to another one of the people doing the installation.

So is it really anxiety and the overthinking of things that are fuelling my tinnitus?

I've seen a couple of ENTs and Audiologists in the past about my tinnitus as a whole, but never spoken to anyone about issues I have with frequent spikes. I don't really know how to approach resolving my anxiety issues :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Most spikes are temporary. Temporary spikes can last for over three months (but should begin fading after 4-6 weeks). For now it makes sense to assume that this spike is going to be temporary.

3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @James Foley

Hi James

We had talked several times.
      No more thumping?

Any update from what we talked about - anxiety blood pressure and all that.
      My blood pressure problems has caused me way more problems than my dental whiplash.
      I blame my dental whiplash for causing high blood pressure and all the damage from that.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James Foley

James Foley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey Greg.

The thumping did eventually go away after a couple of weeks, though I have no idea what caused it. Blood pressure was deemed normal so I guess the only thing I could pin it on would be anxiety again.

Only other possible issue, is that the side I have had the thumping on and now the spike, is I have an impacted upper wisdom tooth on. However it isn't at all harming me, no pain, no jaw issues or anything, thus I've been told its far better to leave it alone than risk other complications having it removed.

If I am being honest I think anxiety is playing a major role in all of the issues I have, almost like if my brain doesn't have something else to worry about, it'll just use my tinnitus as an excuse to ramp things up. It could also be the source to my constant headaches and migraines too.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James Foley

James Foley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had a few spikes in the past and they've always either resolved or my perception changed to a point where it doesn't bother me.

I'm more so seeking advice to tackle the stress and anxiety that comes with the spikes that I seemingly can't shake, even though I know that it'll probably resolve or at least improve. The more I try to tell myself it'll be okay, the more "what ifs" my brain seems to create.

I can't seem to tell if the tinnitus is the root cause of my anxiety, or my anxiety is the root cause of my tinnitus, its like a terrible never ending circle.

6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Same here - wisdom tooth.

Nice to hear from you again.

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's enough to make tinnitus or hyperacusis spike.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is likely that anxiety has nothing to do with your tinnitus. Anxiety can cause louder volume for a day. It can't cause new sounds or spikes that last weeks and months.

Tinnitus is certainly contributing to your anxiety...

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James Foley

James Foley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Two weeks now since the start of the spike and no real signs of it getting better, but if anything its a little more bearable and does seem to fade into the background if my mind is occupied on something else. For some reason even though I can hear it at night it never prevents me from sleeping which is good I guess.

As soon as I give tinnitus any form of attention it is all I can hear. What I keep doing is remembering about tinnitus and notice I can't really hear it, then plug my ears to see if its still there at which point it gradually gets louder and annoying.

I do have an appointment set up to speak to someone about my anxiety, so we'll see how that goes.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James Foley

James Foley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Five weeks now and its still bothering me. I have the odd hour or so where it does seem to calm down but doesn't take long to become louder and bothersome again.

I have also noticed now is I seem to be quite sensitive to harsh noises, like my mechanical keyboard in a quiet office, or some voices (I can make my ears rumble and its the same feeling I get around those noises). I have had this for a long time with voices though, especially noticeable when I get a migraine, unsure if anxiety is also making this worse too.

Sometimes I can modulate my tinnitus by moving my neck, and depending on the loudness of the tinnitus I can also make it quieter by clenching my jaw together tightly. Always wondered if it is all neck / jaw related, but the only other symptom that is related is headaches. No pain, stiffness, or clicking jaw.

GP took blood to rule out anything obvious I guess, I'm due to follow up with them to make sure that's all good.

Apart from that I don't really know where to go next apart from requesting to see an Audiologist / ENT again :confused:

11. TnH

TnH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and Acoustic Shock
      Good luck in your journey. Best I can say is protect your ears in objectively loud places going forwards & focus on your life as a whole. Focus on only problems you can fix if a further ENT appt isn't helpful

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James Foley

James Foley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think its 9 weeks now? As of two weeks ago it seems to have moved to my right ear, with no improvement to my left. No change to sleep pattern, diet, no loud noises, no new medication, so I've no idea whats up.

One thing I noticed this time round when it shifted to my right is it happened when my ear felt blocked and painful, same thing I get when on an aeroplane. The thought has always been that Eustachian Tube Dysfunction has always played a part in my tinnitus and I've been taking Beconase (Beclometasone) daily since it started, so over 5 years. The ear pain and fullness has been a common issue that has only increased and I put it to my doctor that perhaps Beconase is no longer working for me. Is it possible to get used to a nasal spray to the point where its not working?

Its worth noting that the fullness and pain does eventually go away after an hour or two of attempting to pop my ears. I can never actually pop them, they sort of just make a squelch noise and if I'm lucky my hearing returns and the pain and pressure instantly goes. If I'm unlucky, pain and pressure increases and my hearing worsens. When they do eventually clear I'm still left with the tinnitus.

Anyway, I've been switched over to Flixonase (Fluticasone) so we'll see if that makes a difference I guess. Currently on day two of Flixonase and no change yet, though I'm not expecting it to instantly work.

• Hug Hug x 1