Stuck with Major ETD Issues

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chrisakky, May 6, 2020.

1. Chrisakky
      Balanced

Chrisakky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1st Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection causing ETD?
      Good Morning Everyone

Yet another bump in the world of tinnitus. Stuck in a major rut and need some help. I now feel like I have enough information to present the symptoms correctly.

I've had tinnitus for 2 and a half years. Had ENT tests (hearing test, Tympanometry and MRI) which were all clear so they said it was ETD. Didn't really believe them back then but do now. In both ears but far worse in left.

Been handling it ok apart from a noise exposure earlier this year which has since resolved. However, since Wednesday last week I have been through utter hell.

My tinnitus has been bad over the last 2 months which started just before the UK lockdown for no discernible reason. I have actually been more healthy than usual during this period, cut alcohol down, eating healthy and exercising a lot.

My major issues started last Wednesday where I woke up at 1am with pressure (guessing negative pressure) in my left ear (usual bad ear). Managed to equalise it using jaw exercise but it would just build up and build up ever 20 minutes or so and eat time it cleared I was left with quite bad tinnitus. Used Sudafed max strength, didn't sleep but pressure subsided next day and ringing subsided by night.

Next night the same happened again, pressure built up so I used some Sterimar to clean out my nose. That equalised pressure but I could feel some got into my middle ear. Managed to clear that with jaw exercises and Sudafed but was left with major tinnitus. My ear didn't block up again and my tinnitus went back to baseline the next day but again no sleep.

Same thing happened on Friday and Saturday night with using Sterimar but I read somewhere that saline rise has warnings not use it if you have ETD issues so I have only used it carefully on the first portion of the nostrils. Of course that means the pressure had build up constantly which I have been able to keep from getting painful with jaw exercises. But every night I go to sleep I get maybe an hour and then I'm awake with ear pressure.

It seems like my nostrils are very dry which I keep wet with Sterimar but again can't do that when I'm asleep. So I wake with very dry nostrils, pressure which I clear which then causes bad tinnitus. Sudafed causes dryness of nasal passages so I stopped taking that on Sunday which hasn't made a difference.

Instances like today when my girlfriend came home from work passed me and instantly my nostril blocked up leave me to believe allergies are the cause. I suspect this is drying out my nose and by extension eustachian tubes which swell up and cause the pressure. It seems to clear when I do exercise or go for a long walk (usually at 2am) and then instantly when I stop everything blocks up. I have Beconase but in the past that has only made congestion worse so very hesitant to try if and I can only use it for a few days.

Seems like every day my baseline tinnitus gets higher and higher each time I clear the pressure and major tinnitus episode settles. I also hear a new much lower pitch which I fear is hearing loss starting to creep in. Starting to feel my jaw getting signs of strain from popping my ears so much so worried about TMJ developing especially in my good ear. I am noticing that one is getting harder to pop with my jaw.

Had a doctor's appointment who has prescribed me with decongestant, antihistamine and a sleeping pill. I mentioned the dryness issue and she confirmed it would make my nose dry out but didn't seem to think that would be an issue. I haven't got them yet but will have tomorrow but not sure whether to try them. She also referred me to an ENT who would hopefully look into allergy issues but said she has no idea when it would happen due to the COVID-19 situation.

Been drinking tonnes of water and considering grabbing a humidifier for the room. Tried a different bed which was recently washed. Vacuum cleaned and wiped gown every surface. Hardly been out the house for the last 3 days. Not sure what else to do apart from try the medication and hope it does the trick. Then try the Beconase spray before my next appointment next week. Utter hell on earth this.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Hope you are all well.

2. PugDog1

PugDog1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Low iron, low b12, chronic sinusitis
      Hello! Everything you said describes how I feel sometimes! I have sinus issues/ETD so I know your pain!
      I have a humidifier and find it really helps so deffo get on that! I’m U.K. too and my tinnitus has been through the roof past 2 weeks because hayfever is quite bad- could it be that? Sterimar is a godsend for me & Sudafed! I haven’t found anything that’s helped permanently yet but I’m on the waiting list for FESS so here’s hoping that helps xx

3. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Has your ENT done a pressure test? I think this is what they are called?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chrisakky
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1st Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection causing ETD?
      Sorry I didnt get a notification of any posts on this thread.

@PugDog1 yes I got a humidifier and it certainly does work for reducing the congestion at night. Managed to wake up a few times totally clear in the morning. I stopped using sterimar as it was getting into my ET and causing T spikes which would take a long while to settle. Though it did clear out the tubes very well and would be a good solution if i didnt have T. Please let us know how you get on after FESS. The ENT cancelled my appointment due to covid triage with the usually 'have you heard about TRT?????' Which is annoying.

@Jaysterk yes they have and found no issues. The thing is I dont think there was any pressure issues when I did the test as my tubes tend to clear when I'm doing physical activity. Such as walking to the ENT office for example. Course every night is a different story.

I am doing far better now using Beconase seems to keep the congestion it at bay but not to the point of being clear. I've also stopped drinking any alkahol which has helped but its probably not going to be permanent for me :) looks like I'm just going to have to use Beconase long term and hope I dint get any side effects from long term use.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Nose sprays are not for everyone, they may have a rebound effect. Has an ENT checked your turbinates?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chrisakky
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1st Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection causing ETD?
      @Juan no they haven't.. to be honest they havent done much of anything apart from those tests. Going to push for another ENT appointment.

Sorry late reply. Been doing really well with nose congestion and then suddenly woke up with sensation of wax coming out of my ear and then big spike this morning which as always reminds me to check my junk email for notifications about this forum.