Study Suggests Serotonin May Worsen Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by JodieStephens, Aug 22, 2017.

1. JodieStephens

JodieStephens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Joe J

Joe J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj
      Everything about tinnitus is so anecdotal and theoretical.

I took SSRIs in the beginning. Had no effect on it.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 2
    4. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I actively use the SSRI antidepressant to adapt to tinnitus. Like many in our country. Very often psychiatrists appoint Fluoxetine, Escitalopram. Less often to Cymbalta, and also for some reason neuroleptics such as quetiapine (?).

All would be fine, but I came across this research. In which it is said that SSRIs can worsen tinnitus. How then to be? What do you think about it?
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319077.php

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This seems to be the case for most (all?) tinnitus treatments (e.g., rTMS, HBOT, etc.): some people end up with louder tinnitus...

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you took those drugs and didn't get a spike, hopefully you don't need to worry about this drug causing T to spike (unless you change the dosage).

7. Rune B

Rune B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Propecia medication
      Typical... I just got my first dose of melatonin from the doc yesterday... It's going in the bin now...

8. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Why?

9. Rune B

Rune B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Propecia medication
      Ah... Sorry read that a little too fast... melatonin... serotonin... different stuff indeed ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Weird how this study came out a few days after I cold turkey quit the starter dose (50mg) of sertraline because it was amplifying my tinnitus by insane levels. I've been off it for a couple of weeks now and my tinnitus seems to be back to baseline however my it screwed so much with my sleeping schedule that I am still trying to fix that.

@Rune B Melatonin is an odd one for me. Some days I wake up after taking it with insanely loud tinnitus but other days after waking up taking it, my tinnitus is super low and this isn't because my tinnitus fluctuates so much, I attribute it directly to the melatonin. I usually take between 2-5mg but I've switched over to another brand recently which includes a blend of other stuff including 3mg melatonin.

11. Ryan O

Ryan O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Well, melatonin is the precursor to serotonin -- so they have that relationship, at least.

I wonder if it's a logical hypothesis to suggest that if blocking serotonin uptake increases tinnitus, that reducing serotonin levels thereby lowers it?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
    13. Rune B

Rune B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Propecia medication
      But there are clinical trials that find that melatonin actually can lower tinnitus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21859051

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      This study does not really prove anything except give the researches a hypothesis based upon mouse models. The problem with AD medications and Tinnitus is the millions of people on these type of drugs. How many of these people went to a concert or are on other medications and just started their AD medications?! With 60,000 people in America each year having sudden hearing loss and even more having tinnitus onset, its very difficult to prove a casual link.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. davidamee86
      Breezy

davidamee86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Road Accident
      This seems right to me because I was on an anti-depressant called sertraline which is based on the seratonin pathways and it made my tinnitus worse. My tinnitus was caused by damage to my cochlea by head collision, I lost hearing in one ear and tinnitus started.

16. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Is that MuteButton you've got? Did it ever go for sale in Ireland? Any good?

17. meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud clubs initially, now louder due to noise & vibrations.
      My tinnitus was nearly always effected negatively by antidepressants, even Valium makes it worse, melatonin has either at least no effect or tones down some spikes, it definately makes me sleep easier and I have visual dreams every night on it which is cool :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Juice564

Juice564 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2011
      I've been on an SSRI for a few years since developing T and it helped me a lot. I didn't have any increase but instead probably diminished since it took my mind off it. Wellbutrin I tried for a week and that on the other hand made a noticeable increase in my T.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think you have it the other way around. Serotonin is the precursor to melatonin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. davidamee86
      Breezy

davidamee86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Road Accident
      I was on the trial. It won't be for sale until 2018 I think. It reduced my tinnitus slightly. It seemed to work best when I used it before bed and then when I woke up during the night it had reduced. I wish I had it a bit longer than 12 weeks.

21. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Of course it makes it worse, everything makes it worse. The question is what makes it better?

22. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I still do not understand if SSRI is harmful to tinnitus. I have been taking SSRIs escitalopram for the fifth month already. Someone applied it? How did it affect your ringing?

23. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      That looks like a PoNS (Portable Neuromodulation Stimulator) device. I believe you can purchase them now for use in modulation of brain plasticity. They stimulate the trigeminal nerve to act on neurons in the brain.

What sort of tones are played through the headphones? If you could replicate the tones, this is a therapy that you may be able to knock up in a DIY version at home.

24. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      MuteButton sounds shit according the net.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. VincentWinters
      Dreaming

VincentWinters Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'd been on Sertraline for years and I'd come off of it for about 5 months before the tinnitus started. I'm now back on it in the hope it'll help with my anxiety over developing tinnitus. The greater my anxiety the greater/more noticeable my tinnitus, the greater the tinnitus the greater my anxiety. Its not the tinnitus thats bugging me so much its the anxiety in many ways. I get the feeling if i was very high, tinnitus would feel just fine. Alas you cant be high all the time. Even some of the times isnt great for you.

It's quite irritating though, that given how many people have this and the potential for drug companies et al to make zillions, there still doesn't even seem to be much of a basic understanding of how it works.

26. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Where can a PoNS device be purchased from?

27. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      There are a couple of firms that sell these devices. I've never seen one personally in action, but they are being touted for various conditions where modifying brain plasticity may be beneficial.

One company is called Helius, but there are other models available. Really, all they are, are little devices that zap your tongue with a light electrical pulse. I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay big bucks for them, but I guess if they work, money would be a non issue.

The other thing is establishing the kinds of tones you'd need to hear. I wonder if they are similar to ACRN. I'd like to hear people's experiences with them.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday....lator-recommended-for-iso-13485-certification

http://www.popsci.com.au/tag/electronic-device

28. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      There were meant to be positive finding with helius and tinnitus that was to be presented in USA and France, that's all the information there was but I couldn't find these "findings". If you do a quick search on google you'll probably come across where it says that but couldn't find anything else.

http://heliusmedical.com/index.php/...habilition-laboratory-tcnl-using-pons-therapy

Later this month, results from research on Tinnitus suppression using PoNS Therapy and targeted auditory training programs will be presented by Yuri Danilov and co-authors at the International Federation of Oto-Rhino Laryngolocial Society World Congress in Paris on June 27, 2017.

“We continue to discover and investigate new and exciting potential uses for the PoNS Therapy. The latest results are very promising, but will require continued research to understand the physiological changes taking place and to improve the methodology of the intervention,” said study author and Research Director of TCNL, Dr. Yuri Danilov.​

29. ofaisalo
      Balanced

ofaisalo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Study "suggests"
      Pass

30. Paulmanlike