Success With Coping via an Antidepressant?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lynnette, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Lynnette
      Blah

Lynnette Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Have any of you tried antidepressants for your T and did it help you I cope in time as well as elevate the depression and anxiety brought on due to the T? I'm desperate here as I feel I'm 7 weeks into treatment and it's not helping me much. Thanks in advance for any comments.

2. inadmin

inadmin Member

I tried 3 kinds ; all of them were not helping. I'm taking xanax as it calms me down and sometimes lowers the volume.

In my opinion there is a "war" between the AD and the T. As much as serotonine the AD delivers which is supposed to lift the mood, there's the "beast" on the other side that keeps you down, that's at least as i see it. However, it does not mean it will not work for you; you may need to try different brands to find one that fits you.

3. Sybs
      Inspired

Sybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi Lynnette, I've just started Prozac 10mg and already feel a bit more positive - could be a placebo at this stage but I don't care as long as I feel better. I'm sorry to hear you feel your treatment is not working. What dosage are you on? and could it be increased?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lynnette
      Blah

Lynnette Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Sybs I'm on 7.5mg of lexapro...will discuss going up with my doc on Tuesday. Glad you are feeling more positive...I really need that right now and I just want to get to a better place in terms of coping with depression/anxiety/T.

5. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I tried Cipralex for a while. It was working ok in the sense that it does help you to not feel as depressed/bad/anxious. I was grateful for that effect at that time. Some time ago I started to reduce the doses I was taking and then stopped, just to see if it made a difference. It might be that I'm more anxious now than with the medication. The positive side is that I feel more able to enjoy good moments now. I feel that an AD seems to take off the edge of all emotions-the bad ones, but unfortunately the good ones as well.

6. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      There is a difference between antidepressants (Lexapro/Cipralex, Zoloft,Prozac, etc) and antianxiety drugs (Xanax, Ativan, Clonazepam). Antidepressants will take several weeks to work after they get to the right dose but the anxtianxiety agents will work quickly but are only a 'stopgap'. I keep reading several sufferers are afraid of medications - this is misplaced. The majority of these drugs are safe and will not worsen the tinnitus. They may have side-effects that require you to stop and change the medication but they are the best way forward for those who are emotionally struggling. Sleep medications are essential - without sleep, you lose the war.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      I don't even feel or I'd say understand that I have depression or anxiety, but I do have Tinnitus.
      I agree with Dr. Ancill, sleeping good was and is my biggest issue. I'm on such a low dosage of AD,
      I guess if it helps me sleep, that's all i'm looking for.