Successfully Turned Tinnitus Off with Sleep Control

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Tony Phylactou, Mar 16, 2017.

1. jib

jib Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am experimenting exactly the same correlation between sleep and tinnitus loudness reported in this thread. I also noticed this correlation in various records on a french forum about tinnitus (4 or 5 different persons) and also on an another thread from this web site : https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/intermittent-tinnitus-switched-on-off-by-sleep.1706/

I am experimenting some full silent days during the whole day ONLY IF I wake up without T. Most of the time, I have no T waking up when the day before the T was quite high. The phenomenon here is much more clear than with the, at least 10 other treatments I've been trying before (sport, corticoides, acoustic treatment, B12 vitamin, intermittent fasting, ...), even if some of them were having "some" positive effects.

Since a few months I would like to buy some kind of handy EEG to try to find a correlation between the number of sleep cycles or the cycle I am in just before waking up and the level of my T. Unfortunately, the Zeo were discontinued from what I red and I didn't found any others.

With Tinnitus Talk web site and personal researches I found a lot of scientific studies on tinnitus but didn't find any that would properly correlate tinnitus loudness and sleep cycles patterns. Maybe we should try, as we can, to orient a bit scientists or neurologists to pay more attention to this ?

I will contact the ENT I saw at the hospital of Lyon, I really think it worth trying. Maybe someone who know a neurologist could also try as the problem of T seems at the link between those two specialties.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      You are wasting your time asking an ENT I asked 4 and they did not had a clue.Neurologist will be your best bet.Let us know if you get any answers.
      A possible experiment would be to record number of hours of sleep you had when you woke up T free,and then use an alarm clock to wake you up after you slept this number of hours.Just hope your sleep is uninterrupted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bernie W

Bernie W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 23, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Insomnia
      Thank you for the self study and for the information. I also noticed that my 1 morning that my T was gone, and another when it was really low were two nights that I had long sleep uninterrupted. So I am trying to get to that point again. I am still taking Xanax for over a month now, and the worst part is that I only take it when I try first to fall asleep on my own, then by that time it is too late. So last night, I tried to take Xanax early on, but then I woke up twice, so it was still interrupted. I am trying to get my long night sleep and see how it will have an effect on my T. My sleeping pattern has been distorted so much it's hard to get it back. I am in the period of menopause too, so the hormone aiding sleep isn't much there to help!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you try the app Sleep cycle from Google play .just put your mobile next to your pillow upside down when you sleep at night,and in the morning it will you show a graph telling you how many hours you slept,deep sleep,light sleep interruptions and so on.I think it works with body movement and breathing.let us know of any results.

5. Bernie W

Bernie W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 23, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Insomnia
      Thanks vm @Tony Phylactou! I will try that, been wanting to know my quality of sleep each night.

6. Bernie W

Bernie W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 23, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Insomnia
      I downloaded the sleep cycle, but after studying it, I think it will keep me awake as I will be consciously aware of it if I put the phone under the sheet to read my quality of sleep through movement. So I didn't use it. Instead, I found this youtube brain healing sound
      BRAIN HEALING SOUNDS : HEALED MILLIONS ALREADY...
      which works so well calming the nerve, unlike some other vdo that mimics the tinnitus sound and trying to mask it. I listened to it yesterday and fell asleep twice during the day. The T of course didn't go away, but it DID make me sleepy. Then last night I had a good night sleep about 6 hours (with sleeping pills of course), and the T became really low in the morning. I tried to stay awake after 5 am and not going back to sleep (trying to test your theory as well as trying not to sleep too long as to affect the next night sleep time). I tried listening to this vdo today through headphone (it's more effective as you can also hear not just the chime, but the background sound as well) and not lying down to avoid napping. Anyway, it's been a really good day so far today, and hopefully it will continue.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Raggs
      Amazed

Raggs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Quick update..when I get a good nights sleep..it is definitely lower! Thank goodness I have a way to kinda control it and find relief. @Bernie W ~ Thanks for the recommending the video...I will try it tonight.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And my ENT said Tinnitus has nothing to do with sleep.The problem is how do you get a good night's sleep?Sleeping pills are addictive and you have to keep increasing the dosage.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Bernie W

Bernie W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 23, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Insomnia
      @ Raggs hope it works for you. @Tony Phylactou Yes it is addictive, I have been trying to wean off sleeping pills but not successful yet ever since T started almost 2 months ago. Half a pill 0.25 mg used to do me ok and I used it once in a while, but now I have to take 0.5 mg or 1 whole pill to be effective. Last night I tried to go back down to 0.25 mg and I kept waking up a few times. Anyway, still want to have good night sleep every night to keep T low.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks,I have a similar story,was taking xanax Tried to reduce it and could not sleep all night.But unfortunately there is no other way.

11. Raggs
      Amazed

Raggs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Like I mentioned in a previous post, I've actually have had the best sleeps ever! Not at first..the first 6 months or so were a little rough, but then I discovered listening to "music/drone/bin beats/tibetan singing bowls/anything sorta hypnotic..etc, and I put a bluetooth speaker right under my pillow, so it feels like the music is in my head, and my sound totally blends away, and I drift off to beautiful worlds and dreams!... and..if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can put myself back to sleep quite quickly. I'm almost happy if I wake up in the night, b/c I get to fall asleep again! Oh ya, and I have a constant noise machine on next to my bed with crickets..so I"m just wrapped up in a cocoon of pleasant vibes. :)))
      Here are some of the ones I listen to:
      Playlist: jonnie paradox of magick

Hypersleep MK2 ★ Relaxing Sleep Music ★ Deep...

• Like Like x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I prefer Tibetan Meditation Music
      Tibetan Meditation Music, Relaxing Music,...

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have a suspicion that luck of sleep results in High T.Does anybody have 8 hours of undisturbed sleep every night and also has high T I wonder.

14. Flowerlover

Flowerlover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, not hearing related
      Something sleep related for me as well. Stiff muscles for years too, esp. after sleeping. Last night I was careful to position my head better. I think if my chin is down, it cuts off my breathing and I get a type of sleep apnea which leads to tinnitus starting. I've never done a sleep study so this is just my opinion. So last night slept on my side with my neck stretched up and it helped me not wake up in a panic of tinnitus. There is a lot going on to dissect with this T issue. Sometimes a good sleep I wake up with no T for 2 days! Other times, a nap triggers it while other times a nap stops it. It's complicated.

15. Flowerlover

Flowerlover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, not hearing related
      Do any of you sleep with a dog? I'm training my dog to sleep on the floor now (complex after yrs of sleeping on my bed). She is velcroed to me and another room doesn't work. I found her constant panting, jiggling, or moving around was interrupting my sleep. One day at a time, will see what helps.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have a similar situation .Nap triggers it ,nap stops it ,waking up after undisturbed sleep keeps it off sometimes for days.

17. Raggs
      Amazed

Raggs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Same here..sometimes if I'm having a good day..but I'm sleepy..I'm afraid to take a nap..but lately even though it is kinda loud right after the nap...seems to get a bit better after a couple of hours. Argghh..so weird!

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A lot of success stories have been posted under this video by Julian Cowan Hill
      Positive Tinnitus Stories: Leave Yours Here!

19. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      @Tony Phylactou for some reason I am unable to access the video you posted.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Which one?If you mean The Tinnitus success stories click to watch and click below to see it on you tube with the comments.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I personally know 7 people who had T.One had it for 6 years and it stopped on its own, another one reduced his sugar and went away.The other 5 said it does not bother them much.I must be the only exception.

• Like Like x 1
    22. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I deleted that one and put it again on page 2

24. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Tony Phylactou Thank you , I like the simple elegance of your solution.

• Like Like x 1
    25. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      This is very interesting.

I noticed today when my alarm woke me up while I was in deep sleep my T was much louder then yesterday when I was woken up while I was in light sleep. It also stays louder the rest of the day when I get woken up in deep sleep.

Now I have to figure out how to wake up in light sleep, hrmm...

26. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A strange thing happened to me to day. I woke up at 4 am with low T.Too early to get up went back to sleep woke up with high T.Went to nice quiet spot in the countryside mediated for half an hour no change.Then I started deep slow breathing and in 10 minutes my T went from 9 to about 1-2.I was amazed.The question is was it the fresh country air, was it the silence, was it the meditation ,was it the deep breathing, was it the slow breathing, a combination of all of them or did it just happen ? I thing I will have to experiment with them individually to come to a conclusion.I hope it is the deep slow breathing because I can easily practice it anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    28. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Tony Phylactou I could be mistaken but, assuming you"followed the breath" I think the breathing is what is having the beneficial effect as your center of focus is shifting away from the T and to you breathing. this in turn promotes a progressive relaxation response which is exactly what you want to keep that pesky T in line. :)

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks @Pathworker 2017 I tend to agree with you I will have to do it more often.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also understand that slow deep breathing reduces blood pressure and relaxes you