Sudden Hearing Loss and Tinnitus Getting Worse for No Reason

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Taylorslay, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      Not too long ago I blasted my ears in my earbuds on max volume for years. Then suddenly I had hearing loss in one ear. I ignored the warning signs and then it happened in my other ear. What ever amount of hearing I lost. It is very mild. However, noticeable. I now steer clear from loud sounds and loud areas.

In the beginning the hearing loss freaked me out. I was at the time suffering from bad anxiety. The loss of my hearing wasn't helping. My left ear was worse than my right. I didn't have any pain. I had some fullness in my ear. Which went in and out which followed by a warm sensation in my left ear. Having a more but not super noticable ringing in both of my ears. Soon those symptoms faded (besides the ringing) and I became hypersensitive to almost everything around me. It was painstaking. Dogs barking, dishes clanking, anything snapping or closing would hurt and drive me mad. However once I started exposing my ears to sounds under my threshold of intolerance the hypersensitivity just stopped.

Now to my current problem. I began waking up from fullness in my ear. My hearing decreasing even more despite not being exposed to anything loud. And the ringing in my ear is getting worse. I won't denie I am playing more environmental noise around me such as a fan (on low) and a TV (on low) but I'm confused on why this is all happening. I'm writing this before I try to sleep. Emphasis on the word "try". I layed back and I felt discomfort in both of my ears. (Not pain just discomfort).

The whole situation with my ears and hearing has been a roller coaster. And I'd just like some answers. Waiting for the ENT is taking a very long time and I'm just afraid my hearing is getting worse.

If anyone could give me an incite on what's happening, please let me know.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Taylorslay I got tinnitus when I was 15, two-three years ago. I used to listen to audio with earbuds all of the time. I didn't think I was listening at an unsafe level, but 24/7, and sometimes over 60% volume, the damage accumulated, in addition to other things like concerts, plane rides etc. My tinnitus worsened since the time I was 15 as well, but I think I know the reason. I continued to expose myself to dangerously loud noises (mostly on accident) because I wasn't aware that I had tinnitus and I wasn't cautious. Sounds like dogs barking, dishes clanging, were extremely uncomfortable for me as well, even before I knew I had tinnitus, but the nerve damage had started. They're still very uncomfortable, but I bring earplugs and earmuffs with me when I go out and sometimes they help.

I don't think environmental noises like you described could continue to damage your hearing at all so don't worry. I also like to have the TV on at low most of the time. If it helps distract from your tinnitus, it's good.

I went to the ENT when I first realized I had tinnitus and they conducted a hearing test, asked a few questions etc. They'll probably be able to tell you what level of hearing loss you might have.

And I have a really difficult time falling asleep as well. Something like melatonin might help, maybe? I can't take it (gives me these vivid nightmares) but a lot of people with tinnitus say it helps them. Until you go to the ENT, try not to worry about your hearing getting worse. And just bring earplugs with you when you go out. I hope this helped.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      But why has the sensitivity I had to those sounds gone down significantly for me? In the matter of a few days.

4. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hmm, it could be a number of things, but in my experience my sensitivity to sounds has changed all of a sudden as well, in a matter of days. When I diminish my use of earplugs and expose my ears to low, safe sounds, the sensitivity seems to go down. However, accidentally being exposed to loud sounds tends to make the sensitivity much worse sadly.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Sleep deprivation can really aggravate tinnitus. While you are waiting for the ENT to check the ears, you can try these natural alternatives for sleep and for calming the nerves, such as Melatonin, Lemon Balm, Valerian, Hops, Catnips, Passion Flower, Chamomile, Lavender, Kava, etc. You can do google search or check Amazon.com for each of them to know how people review these products, and see if you can take them as a supplement. Check out this site on using natural herbs for helping to sleep or to calm the nerves.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /

6. Guest8382

Guest8382 Guest

Thanks for your post. I think I am in the same boat as you guys, but just a quick question; what did your ENT say regarding your hearing? Was it normal or could he see hearing damage from the audiogram? Kind regards, Tjeerd

7. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi. I think my ENT said my hearing was fairly normal. They did a hearing test and an acoustic reflex test.