Sudden Onset Patient Wants to Be Proactive

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LadyDi, Jul 13, 2013.

1. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Greetings, all: I am a 57-year-old professional journalist who, two months ago, developed tinnitus following a transatlantic flight in which I had a lot of ear pain. I had a sinus infection prior to flying, although it had been treated and no one suggested not traveling. It is fairly unusual to develop tinnitus specifically from barotrauma, but it does happen. And I believe that's what happened to me, although my ENT disagrees.

What was truly challenging is I developed a severe anxiety reaction about two weeks into the tinnitus -- apparently a reaction to the stress and the noise, as I had no real prior history of anxiety. It was hell. But I am building a good team of doctors and therapists, learning what I can and determined to get to the point that some day, this will be just an annoyance that I have learned to live with. At this point, I still am able to work, although the anxiety was so severe I considered short-term disability for awhile. Looking forward to learning from you all.

LadyDi

2. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Hi LadyDi,

Welcome! It sounds like you're already half way there! Half the battle is recognizing that tinnitus by itself is not harmful and that most people adjust to it. That is not to say that it is a cake walk, or that all it takes is the right mental attitude, but my observations are that most people manage pretty well with time and/or treatment of some sort whether it is provided by some healthcare practioner supplied or self provided. There is a lot of info on this site about tinnitus, the possible causes, and things that can help make it better or more tolerable (no one size fits all unfortunately). There is also quite a bit of information on future treatments, and things that may one day be cures or at least very successful treatments. Plus, there are plenty of people who have experienced, or are experiencing, what you are going through to offer support.

Read on and join in.

mick

3. Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2012
      Scary at first. Becomes a non-factor after a while. Do whatever it takes to rein in the anxiety.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks for the welcome, Mick and Robert. I still have bad as well as good days but it's so helpful not to feel alone. It's hard for docs and many people to understand that the ringing is more than that annoying noise that you maybe once had for a few hours after a loud concert. I am sure everyone here appreciates your responses.

5. Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2012
      Think of another physical flaw of yours. Now imagine being distracted and nagged by it for years. Doesn't happen. You adapt. Same will apply here. The long, difficult road you might be envisoning will likely turn out to be a little stubby road disappearing in the rear view mirror. You don't sound like the chronic worrying type. Use meds if needed, taper off when ready.

The world is a cacophony anyway. It's been that way since we were in the womb. Ever heard an ultrasound?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Good point! Thanks Robert, you made my day. I told my c.b. therapist this morning that maybe I will just think of it as my brain singing to me. Just wish my brain was a tenor rather than a soprano. :)
      Hope all have a nice weekend.

7. Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2012
      You know that high-pitched tone emitted by computer monitors and TVs? Tinnitus sounds like that, at least to me. So it means my brain is switched on. Better than the altnernative.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home
      I love this view and had been telling myself the very same things since I got it. It helps keep me calm and not fearful. When I panic it gets much worse. In reality, it's an annoyance that I hope to get used to. Until then, I must keep moving on with life!