Sudden Tinnitus and Ear Clicking/Popping Shortly After Ear Irrigation — Congestion, or Damage?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Temprorary, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Temprorary
      Depressed

Temprorary Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I'm new here. On the very first of this month I got my ears irrigated by my doctor because of excessive wax build up. The next day, approximately 22 hours after the irrigation, I noticed that the ringing in both of my ears had started, followed shortly after with a loud and noticeable crackling sound in them that occurs only when I swallow and sometimes when I yawn. Even more specifically, the noise only seems to happen when swallowing saliva - if I'm drinking or eating, it barely happens. Also, I've yet to see an ENT, but I'm fairly certain I don't have any hearing loss, or it at least isn't any less sharp than it was before the irrigation.

I'll further note that shortly afterwards, I noticed that for a few days I would experience intermittent aching pain in both of my ears, though these flare-ups seemed to occur independently. That, and a bizarre feeling of fluid in my ears that would come and go seemingly at random. Fortunately both of those now seem mostly gone. It's just the ringing and clicking that's left. Despite saying this, I can't help but feel like my right ear is the worst of the two. It's much more resistant to the popping, and was definitely the one that ached the most. When I attempted Valsalva maneuver, it felt highly uncomfortable particularly in my right ear, like the moment I let go some manner of vacuum formed that was sucking my eardrum inward. The tinnitus also feels like it's louder to my right, oftentimes.

Has anyone else here experienced anything that sounds a lot like this? As my title suggests, I'm torn on what to think of it. It seems suspicious that this all didn't start happening until shortly after having my ears violated by a water syringe, but it all sounds an awful lot to me like there's something more to it than that.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Maureen777

Maureen777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music w earbuds & recent ear irrigation
      Almost the same thing happened to me. I had my ears irrigated because the doctor told me I had wax in my ear. I've had problems with my ears ever since. For a few weeks afterwards, my ears were ringing, and also thumping really loud, as if there was construction noise going on in my head. The thumping comes and goes, but the ringing in the left ear is still there. (sorry to say, it's been about 2 years now. I had slight tinnitus before that, but it was bearable). And now lately, my right ear keeps popping *super* loud, all of a sudden, out of the blue. It scares me half to death when it happens.

Anyway, I don't have any solutions really, just wanted to say that I too, think that it's all because of the irrigation.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Temprorary
      Depressed

Temprorary Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear of your plight. I can't imagine enduring it as long as you have. I've not quite made it to two weeks, yet already feel like I'm losing it. It sucks that something that's supposed to help can so easily end up causing harm like this.

I'm to go back to her office tomorrow to see about getting my ears checked again. I'm really hoping that it's just congestion. I had gone to the ER after having a panic attack because I thought at a point that I blew one of my eardrums doing valsalva, and they remarked that my eardrums looked perfectly fine, except for the fact that I appeared to have some fluid build up in them. If not, then... guess it's probably going to be for the long haul.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Maureen777

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I hope the ringing is short-lived for you. Sometimes it goes away for people, I’ve heard. Good luck at your appointment.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Temprorary
      Depressed

Temprorary Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you kindly.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Maureen777

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You’re welcome.

7. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You should treat your ears as if you had an acoustic trauma, read around here about things you should and shouldn’t do. Get some tips, but basically avoid picking on your wound! Take it easy, and perhaps you’re lucky. Be careful with loud traffic and stuff, don’t use earphones and read a little about what doctor tests you feel comfortable undertaking. I would try get my hands on Prednisone and ask the ENT if it looks like the fluid they’ve seen could be helped by Amoxicillin which is one of the least ototoxic types.

It’s very clear your ears didn’t like the irrigation.

Personally I would just take Prednisone as quick as possible and not let doctors do tests other than look at the ear drum.

Perhaps some very low soft background music is good to let the ears / brain have input other than ringing.

And take it easy with valsalva stuff.

If you feel stuffed get a cortisone nose spray and salt water spray.
      Go gentle with blowing.

Wish you a good recovery.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Temprorary
      Depressed

Temprorary Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I thank you as well for your input, although Amoxicillin is definitely a no-go. I'm allergic to penicillin, and that's a slightly modified version of it.