Sudden Tinnitus in One Ear, Lots of Details, Doctors Inaccessible

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jack Delman, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Jack Delman

Jack Delman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello!

So I recently developed tinnitus and was hoping you nice folks with experience might have some insight on the causes. Sadly, I have seen 5 ENTs and I now have literally 5 different opinions.

I normally would just trust the docs... but the doctors where I live (Philippines) are... not very good, overall. I don't have one I trust, at any rate. And since I can't get two concurring opinions out of 5 doctors, I am turning to you all for possible suggestions.

Occurrence
      I was sitting by a pool (not swimming) when I heard a low ringing in my left ear (and only left ear). Figured it would go away but over the course of that day, it got louder. I felt some pressure in my head that day which was a first for me. Fairly intense pressure and on the left side, I think. I am not sure if it started before the tinitus or not but it they were both the same day.

It's been about two weeks and it hasn't resolved itself. It has changed from a loud loud ringing to static and now kind of a windy sound with an occasional weird ring tone for a few seconds. (the wind is constant though). It's moderately loud now. Enough to be distracting but not so much as to make me want to rip my ear off.

A couple days after it started, I felt a little dizzy. Not to where I would fall but kind of like when you are slightly intoxicated and you don't feel connected to your body. This lasted a couple days and went away.
      It has not been painful at all. Just distracting and worrying.

Sometimes I feel like that ear feels "thick" or full. Hard to describe. Might be pressure. Or water.
      No other symptoms I can think of. No headaches, nausea or vomiting. Noise does not seem to have any effect.

Previous issues that might play into it?
      I have had a lot of other ailments in the last year for some reason (normally never an issue). These are:

- Occasional nerve pinch that causes pain or tingling in one arm. Doc said it was cervical radiculopathy. This was about 2-3 weeks before the tinnitus and is on the left side.

- Slightly high blood pressure. My BP is kind of borderline at 130-140 to 90-100. Bit overweight and working on that. Seemed higher that day at 150/90 but nothing extreme.

- Start CPAP about 3 weeks ago for Sleep Apnea. Haven't seemed to have any issues with it.

- I have had 3 cellulitis infections in my nose in the last year for some reason. Docs seem to think it's just the nature of living in a tropical country and random bad luck. I also have had occasional nose swelling that they write off to allergies or just 'dry nose'. Had a drainage done once but I think it may have been unnecessary.

Diagnoses so far
      Nerve damage related to the pinched nerve on my left side.

Nerve damage unrelated to the pinched nerve. "Maybe genetic?"

Acute infection, possibly from sinus.

Allergies.

"Loud noise".

One of them also told me to stop working out so hard (I push myself in the gym but I don't think I even went to the gym the day it started).

As far as recovery, all of them said something along the lines of "Wait and see what happens".

Treatment so far
      Corticosteroid and saline sprays for nose.

Polynerv. A vitamin for nerve damage, iirc.

Visual inspection by 3 docs said they saw no obstructions in ear or nose (but slight swelling in nose).

Hearing test. Confirmed no abnormal pressure in left ear and moderate loss of hearing at high frequency.

Not sure if this is because I have lost hearing or the noise in that ear is just louder than whatever tones they are using?

Other general info
      No particularly loud noises that day, that I can recall. I have had a normal amount of exposure to loud noise, I guess. Rock concerts when I was young. Late night dance clubs. Etc. I think this is unlikely since it's only in one ear and nothing special happened that day?

I have had a little sinus congestion in the last couple months but nothing rising to the level of flu/cold blocked nose. More like waking up with a little junk in one nostril that I had to blow out maybe.
      CPAP has been going relatively well. I do use a humidifier attachment and clean regularly to avoid sinus infections. I do live in a tropical climate, though, and it happens.

I do use headphones at the gym and at home sometimes (when the girlfriend is sleeping and I don't want to wake her). I don't use earbuds. Gym ones are the hook around the ear types and main ones are ove-the-ear cans.

Questions
      1. Any thoughts on what this is likely to be or not likely to be?
      2. Any thoughts on whether it's likely to be permanent or not?
      3. Any thing I should be doing to prevent further damage while I figure out what this is? Despite saying it was possibly an infection, I wasn't given any antibiotics or steroid ear drops or anything similar.
      4. Would it hurt to try some steroid ear drops?
      5. Longshot but I have had so many issues in the last year, think there might be an underlying cause that ties this stuff together?
      6. Considering flying to a nearby country with better medical facilities (Thailand). Would the flight pose risk to my ears from the pressure?

I know I made a huge post but I wanted to cover the likely questions up front and give a full view.

Thanks, in advance for reading my long-winded post and help you might be able to give :)

2. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      Yeah could very well be high blood pressure it will cause tinnitus type noises