Suffering from Tinnitus Since 2012 — A Huge Spike Today: Just Me or a Group Environmental Thing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by angelmn, May 16, 2020.

1. angelmn

angelmn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My question is has anyone experienced an increase in volume or intensity or more frequent spikes and occurrences within the last yearish? I have, and want to know if this is a group environmental thing or just me? Just had a huge spike in my left ear on 5/16 @12:06pm Est. Thanks!

2. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi, what happened to you on the 16th exactly?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      angelmn

angelmn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sitting at my computer and all of a sudden my left ear starts to ring but very intense for max 5 sec then just dwindled back to my normal hiss.

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      That sounds like fleeting tinnitus that I think we all have from time to time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I hear about this a lot, and I experience it myself. Sometimes in one ear, sometimes the other. Usually for 5-15 seconds, but once for around 15 minutes. These are referred to by some as "fleeting tinnitus" and can be much louder than a "spike" which in contrast can last for days. Perhaps you're experiencing it more because the world keeps getting noisier. Try not to stress about it as they are quite normal, and can actually be a helpful reminder to cut back on exposure to loud sounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Yeah don't worry about this. It's completely normal, even people who are not chronic tinnitus sufferers get it. Sometimes I don't have one for days, sometimes I get several a day. Caffeine and stimulants and mental fatigue seem to increase their frequency but there's no hard and fast rule.

Once again, this is normal and random, really nothing to worry about. Google "fleeting tinnitus", in this case Dr Google will reassure you. :) These aren't "spikes" in the classical sense.

• Agree Agree x 1