Sugar

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cor, Jan 14, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey all, i stopped looking at my food to find some kind of link with my T months ago. There just didnt seem to be any.

But lately ive started to think that some sugars bring it on really bad. Within about 30 minutes. Not all sugars though, but ive had at least 5-10 instances recently where a specific type of cookie (with a very sugary frosting) would bring on bad T.

I once read some post here about why sugars can influence T, but I cant find it anymore. Anyone else have this experience?

2. Kevin08
      Balanced

Kevin08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      caffeine cranks mine up a couple of notches

3. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I went totally caffeine free, without any change. So now I use I blend my own mix of caffeine and decaf coffee.

4. Kevin08
      Balanced

Kevin08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      I roast my own beans so I'm really missing my java fix!

5. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      My dad (very bad T) swears white chocolate ramps his up to a scream, so I think it's totally plausible that sugars can effect T

6. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Ray Seddon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected hearing damage - highpowered firearm, open-cab tractors...
      It's quite possible that sugar levels can affect T - my increase in volume coincided with my necessary upgrade from Type II to Type I (Insulin-dependant) diabetes. However the level now doesn't seem to fluctuate even when my sugar levels are under control.
      As to caffeine in coffee, I am an addict and I got T way before I was addicted to good coffee - so I reckon if I have to put up with this crap, I'm going to take whatever little enjoyment I can get from a decent Long Black!!!

7. click
      Busy

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

There is an ingredient in the majority of shop bought cakes and biscuits here in the UK called disodium diphosphate (aka disodium dihydrogen diphosphate, disodium dihydrogen pyrophosphate & disodium pyrophosphate).

During the 2 years I spent dissecting everything I was eating (as I knew that food was making my T worse) I found that it wasn't the sugar in cakes & biscuits that affected the volume of my T, instead it was disodium diphosphate (aka disodium dihydrogen diphosphate, disodium dihydrogen pyrophosphate & disodium pyrophosphate). It's used in baking powder a lot. Apparently it can be used to colour food but also as a preservative.
      Citric acid is also in a lot of sweet foods here & that's another dangerous one for my T.

Happens every single time I eat something with it in - up goes the volume... either from nothing to being able to hear it or making it screech because it's already hissing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Years ago I noticed sugar increased my T and made my ears thump.

9. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      @Cor

A little news for you. Any sugar is a toxin in our bodies. Not to say give up sugar, but limit it so your body can work to repair other problems instead of attacking the sugar. Artificial sweeteners?? WAY WORSE on our immune system. So it may be possible that sugar has an effect on helping you deal with Tinnitus. Because your immune system has to battle this toxin, it leaves other areas alone until the toxin is destroyed. Nowhere in ANY medical journal, will you find sugar a necessity of life. It tastes good, therefore we consume it. Today most processed foods contain very little natural sugars, that are easier to destroy. It is much cheaper for a manufacturer to use High Glucose Fructose sweeteners in a product as it is highly sweet, and less is needed to make the product taste decent. Very cheap to manufacture and use. The more natural the sweetener, the easier it is on our system. Honey, corn syrup, molasses, raw sugar cane to name a few. Even that bag of table sugar we all have in a cupboard is easier on the system. None however is necessary to survive.

The adverse effects may indeed increase your Tinnitus, but the exact reasons cannot be blamed just on sugar. More over your body is not fighting other things it could be fighting instead of the war from ingesting the sweet stuff. The less toxins we ingest, the better we feel in the long run. So treat yourself now and then, but also keep a decent diet of whole fresh foods going down too. I still crack open a can of soda without guilt because I also make sure my digestive system is in decent working order. When I see a can of Diet Soda however, I see a can of Arsenic.