Suggestions on Low-Salt / No-Salt Cookery?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jack V, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Making all sorts of no-salt, low-salt concoctions, per doctor's advice.

It's been so hard to be productive... EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... at least if I'm cooking, I'm doing something.

Even if that means making unappetizing, unsalted food destined for Tupperware containers stashed away in the back of my fridge.

There's only so many times you can squeeze a lemon onto a pot of rice. :dunno:

So... anyone have any suggestions on low-salt, no-salt cookery?

Thanks in advance.

2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      A few because I tried the Meniere's diet for months (I don't have Meniere's so it didn't help).

Benson's is the best salt substitute. Potassium chloride tastes revolting (to everyone). I bought a flight of Ms. Dash. One or two were okay but Benson's was by far the best. I used it on everything.

Oven roasted vegetables (kale, broccoli, fennel, potatoes, etc) were my go to. A little olive oil and Benson's and it was pretty good. I ate homemade kale chips a lot.

Fries with just malt vinegar are also good. Be careful with vinegar if you have vestibular migraines, though, as vinegar can be a trigger. Benson's is great on fries, too.

Once or twice a week I would bake a whole chicken seasoned with pepper and Benson's.

Dried fruits are great snacks if you aren't also on low sugar (I was).

Avocados are great healthy snacks.

Nuts, too, if you don't have vestibular migraines as it can be a trigger.

Gluten free pasta has much less sodium than regular pasta. No idea why. Trader Joe's has a gluten free pasta. It's great with a bit of basil, garlic, olive oil and crushed tomatoes. Sometimes I would just make it with olive oil, roasted garlic and a bit of Benson's.

I put Benson's on steak, too. I got grass fed/finished because it was less inflammatory. You definitely miss the real salt here so I didn't do it much.

My biggest problem with the diet was trying to keep weight on. I got down to 120lbs (I'm 5'10) but I was super extreme. I ate about 800mg of sodium a day so I had zero processed food except for fries with no salt added (you can request this at any drive through). I think most people with more reasonable sodium goals (~1500mg) don't have this problem though.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Thanks for the response. It's very helpful. :beeranimation:

I'll try Bensons - hadn't heard of it.

It looks like the nutritional yeast is what gives it its flavor.

I was advised to go below 2,000mg, went way below that at first, and everything tasted like nothing. :cautious:

Anyway, thanks again.

4. Kotve
      Dumb

Kotve Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck / Jaw
      I have been cooking for years salt free (just recently I started to use it again). I got used to it and every food tasted to salty when I ate at restaurants or family/friends.

But for example I'd boil my broccoli 2 min and would eat it like this. Sometimes adding a bit of olive oil and lemon zest.
      For my meat I'd just put pepper and chili...
      And then I have a large collection on herbs and spices... so I can play with those to pep up a bit the flavor.

You get used to it ;) the only issue is when you cook for people because they will find things fade.

5. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      No problem! Forgot to add if you cook with Benson's it can get clumpy (or even dark brown). Sometimes with higher heat or when cooked longer, it is better to add right before serving.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Thanks.

I'll give it a try.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor