Sumatriptan: Reduces Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Diskgrey, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Diskgrey

Diskgrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably stress and neck spine?
      Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone had experienced a reduction in tinnitus after taking Sumatriptan (medicine for migraine)?

I have developed my tinnitus probably due to stiffness of the neck - I have no hearing loss. I have been doing physiotherapy with some success but recently the physiotherapy induced migraine so I was prescribed Sumatriptan. After taking it my tinnitus lowered in volume the next day quite significantly.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mat

2. Bex

Bex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/15/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This just happened to me today! My tinnitus has been a horrible roar that is exhausting me. No idea what started it, but possibly the constant AC unit running overhead at work. I had a headache that wouldn't quit today and took a migraine pill. After a while I noticed the roaring had almost completely stopped! I've been researching auditory migraines and relations between sumatriptan and tinnitus for about an hour now. Interesting to find someone else who had a similar effect!

3. annalena

annalena Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music, stress
      My tinnitus volume is lower when I take Sumatriptan but the effect only lasts for a couple of hours. Since I take Sumatriptan quite often, I don't think it's a coincidence, but it's also possible that the volume reduction is caused by the migraine itself (and its effect on the brain).