Supplements (Ginkgo Biloba, Lipo-Flavonoids, Turmeric) Has Made My Tinnitus More Bearable

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by March, Dec 9, 2018.

1. March

March Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      My tinnitus started 4 months ago from a perforated eardrum and then ear infection that would not go away. I had to use 2 courses of ear drops and unfortunately was on 2 courses of Cipro. The ENT I was seeing kept trying the same antibiotic. I chose to go to a different ENT.

After taking a different antibiotic for 10 days, the ear infection healed. But I was left with tinnitus in that ear.

I tried acupuncture which did not help. What has helped has been a combination of Ginkgo and Lipo-Flavonoids. I get both at Walmart. I also take turmeric for inflammation. Although the sound is not gone, it has gone from ringing to what sounds like soda bubbles. It is much more bearable. I am trying to habituated to it which is challenging.

What I feel is that time and the supplements have helped. I no longer have crying spells and the depression I was feeling.

Just wanted to share my story. It cannot hurt to try the supplements. Thanks!

• Like Like x 5
    2. dougwarby

dougwarby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks, that sounds hopeful.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Pianist_Will

Pianist_Will Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly medication
      How much Cipro did you take? Any other side effects to it? I’ve had quite a bad reaction to it but sounds like you’ve been fine :) Definitely good the sound is changing as that suggests healing. You’re on the right path!

4. ItsNate101

ItsNate101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Military/Recent major spike unknown
      At this point i'm desperate so ill try anything, I'll get some tomorrow and take with my B complex/zinc/Magnesium oxide!

• Like Like x 1
    5. EarHair

EarHair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012 worsened Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and TMJ and genetics (Mom, Grandpa have it)
      It might just be natural healing. Tinnitus tends to go down in the 2-6 month quite substantially in a lot of people as your body heals and re-wires. However if you are improving and you think it might be due to the supplements by all means keep it up.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      One thing to keep in mind about Cipro and other fluoroquinolone antibiotics is that they can absolutely devastate tendons and ligaments in the body. [I read one account where a man took a single dose, and that night had his shoulder fall out of its socket]. -- It appears pretty clear to me that loose ligaments can be responsible for, or contribute to various kinds of tinnitus situations.

So any supplements that will support ligament and tendon health would be good to consider. I myself take about 5 grams of Vit. C / day, along with regularly drinking chicken bone broths which have collagen and other nutrients that can help repair some of the damage. -- The misuse of these fluoroquinoone antibiotics is so widespread (and in my mind almost criminal), and is akin to using a shotgun to kill a mosquito--why not use a flyswatter?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      A healthy diet helps to some extent, turmeric, fruit, salmon, garlic, onions, green tea, lemon.. these may help.

• Like Like x 2
    8. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      ive heard magnesium spray is helpful

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. chris.paget

chris.paget Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I will add to this about my recent positive experience with a specific brand of ginkgo. Before this - and still on some days - I have tried a regimen of cheaper ginkgo (from WalMart), mag/cal, turmeric, cordyceps mushrooms, NAC, b vitamins, and, originally, lipoflavonoid. I decided to splurge for Gaia Herbs' "single herbs" Ginkgo Leaf, which contains 1,430 mg of proprietary extract blend (organic leaf and leaf extract) and 20 mg of flavonoid glycosides. It's a little pricey at $27 and I was of course skeptical. But so far it seems to have helped more than anything else, with the cheap stuff not holding a candle to it. Will definitely post back here as it goes. Good luck!!

I think my next step is to try a high quality version of the curcumin/turmeric. Seems that this has been recommended pretty often and, given my experience with the quality difference, worth giving a try if only to promote your body's natural healing process.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Lipo

11. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flavinoids

12. chris.paget

chris.paget Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 2
    13. chris.paget

chris.paget Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I didn't have luck with the main shelf brand of these. Have you used that or do you have another you recommend?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    14. chris.paget

chris.paget Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      But I'll repeat... the Gaia ginkgo seems to have actually helped. Not completely gone, but has helped more than anything else.

• Like Like x 3
    15. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no, sorry

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      Anyone have side-effect issues with taking combo of supplements a day?
      The fine print on bottle, such as with Curcumin...states "caution" in regards to being prone or have (blah blah)..... stomach ulcers, or excess stomach acid. Same with Magnesium as well. The brand I have is 30mg - take 1-2 a day.
      If I can recall @JohnAdams took or takes 300mg or to that extent?

17. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lol for 3 weeks I was taking 12,000mg per day.
      When I take it now it's about 3,000mg.

18. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      o_O S**t, that's excessive.. along with magnesium and other supplements etc. It's a wonder your colon hasn't become swiss cheese and burned a hole in the bed. Any stomach discomfort with the amount you're taking now? Reasonable to ingest at least around 80mg a day with everything else? Difficult to know - confusing.

• Like Like x 2
    19. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      none whatsoever.