Supplements & Tinnitus — What Do You Take? What Should I Take?

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by oatsey, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Brian meadows

Brian meadows Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 19th
      I've had tinnitus for like 7 years, and I've experimented with so many supplements. Here's what I can tell you:

Makes tinnitus better:

Definitely Pycnogenol (Pine Bark), it reduces tinnitus by 50% for me by increasing blood flow to the ear. I never go a day without it. Magnesium seems to help as well (or perhaps, Magnesium deficiency** seems to hurt). N-Acetyl-Cysteine seems to help if your tinnitus is spiking from excess Glutamate/stress. Time-released Melatonin definitely helps with sleep, specifically "time-released". It's my experience that "regular" Melatonin makes me wake-up around 4 am and I can't go back to sleep easily.

Makes tinnitus worse:

My tinnitus reboots when I sleep. I wake up with either a "good day" or a "bad day" or something in-between. Having said that, Berberine is the only thing I ever tried that made my tinnitus worse IMMEDIATELY. Also, I recently had a spike that I finally realized was being caused by taking Unisom every night. Benadryl is similar to Unisom, so I cut that out too. Also, weed worsens my tinnitus. As well as caffeine (by increasing blood pressure). I'm not quitting either of these things, but I have to be smart about them (e.g. don't smoke in the evening, limit caffeine to 2 cups a day).

Almost forgot: Vitamin D is a double-edged sword. I had a spike a few years ago. Turns out that I was taking too much Vitamin D.

• Like Like x 6
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. corza000

corza000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I currently have:

NAC
      B-complex
      R-Lipoic Acid
      Nicotinamide Riboside
      Turmeric
      Vitamin E
      L-Theanine
      Thiamine

I’ll try anything.

3. PeterPan
      Nerdy

PeterPan Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heat Exhaustion
      According to this study:

The Effect of Antioxidant Supplementation in Patients with Tinnitus and Normal Hearing or Hearing Loss: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Trial

A multivitamin pill once a day and A-lipoic acid pill twice a day is supposed to help with tinnitus.

(More details here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...diopathic-tinnitus-preliminary-outcomes.1374/

)

I've been on this for about a week (plus I've added 2 x Krill oil tablets). While my tinnitus did seem to improve early on, there doesn't seem to be much difference now (maybe my earlier experience was due to placebo).

I'm also going to add some astaxanthin once my order arrives.

I HAVE found that a large dose of canned Salmon seems to consistently improve my tinnitus. Salmon is full of B vitamins, Omega-3 oils and astaxanthin (it's the thing that makes Salmon pink). I'm trying to see if I can take whatever is in Salmon in pill form to help. Hopefully I will get something from the astaxanthin.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    4. Zaimon

Zaimon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      I have tried:

* Ginkgo Biloba
      * Magnesium
      * Calcium
      * Vitamin D3
      * Omega3 (Krill Oil)
      * Turmeric Curcumin
      * GABA
      * B12
      * B6
      * A super expensive shit Pill named "Sonosan"

None of it helped. You're welcome.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I am taking Agar-35 for sleep (it miraculously works for me) and Srog-dZin 11 in the morning. Occasionally valerian/Scullcap/passiflora with camomile tea.

Tried all kinds of other supplements, but can't say if anything of that worked.

6. Avery

Avery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/Neck Disorder (2016) Noise Trauma? (2021)
      Would you mind my asking what type of tinnitus you have or how you began suffering from it?

Curious to know because I've not seen anyone recommend Pine Bark and I'm hopeful I might benefit from it as you described.

If I recall, Ginkgo biloba is purported to increase blood flow as well so perhaps there is some overlap there?

Thanks.

7. Brian meadows

Brian meadows Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 19th
      I got slapped in the ear by a wave while surfing like 7 years ago or so. Busted my eardrum, caused immediate hearing loss.

I've tried Ginkgo biloba and it didn't seem to help at all.

I noticed a difference with Pycnogenol within a day or so. It's the only thing I know for sure that REALLY helps (other than getting a great 8 hours of sleep). I've had my supply run out a few times and almost immediately, my tinnitus spikes. I start taking it again, and it's reduced again. Just try it out. It's like 15 bucks for a month's supply. You can also google studies online about Pine Bark Extract and tinnitus. There's actual science behind this.

If you notice no difference within a few days, ah well, at least you tried.

8. Kristopherk

Kristopherk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I think tinnitus is linked to Salicylates. If you eat vegetables, fruit, some grains, nuts... very healthy food. They all have various levels. Some people simply can't metabolize it.

For chronic tinnitus, Spirulina may help. I'm going to give it a try.

Also, greatly increase the quality of Omega - 3 and greatly reduce Omega 6 in the diet - the sources can be meat, dairy, nuts - again healthy foods.

Omega - 3 helps the body to metabolize Salicylates.

Also can try Cayenne Pepper capsules with meals - it contains Capsicum which makes the Salicylates less bioavailable - this can help to reduce Salicylates in the blood.

9. Chris_P

Chris_P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly hearing loss/acoustic damage, unknown
      I was going to follow up with the same curiosity. I also hadn't heard of Pine Bark for tinnitus treatment but it seems to work in a same way as Ginkgo biloba in terms of increasing blood flow. I currently take a tincture of Ginkgo biloba between meals and it has some sort of action that sometimes seems to help. Before that, I used the same brand (Gaia Herbs) but pill Ginkgo biloba extract and that's the only other thing that also seemed to occasionally help.

But in a botanically curious way, wondering if the Xylem/Phloem action in Pine Bark and Ginkgo biloba has some overlap... Pretty interesting.

10. mohn

mohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What is a decent brand when it comes to Vitamin B12 supplements?

Is it advised to take (or avoid) any other supplements along with Vitamin B12?

And what about Vitamin B12 injections versus drugs — any thoughts?

Furthermore, what is a good vitamin D3 supplement brand? Most of the OTC brands have Calcium too.

Finally, what are good brands for antihistamines (OTC)?

Thanks in advance,
      Mohn

11. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Sold! I've been wishy washy about trying this one for the past 5 years. Maybe I'll give it a go since I have fluctuating weird tinnitus.

12. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      What source do you use for Salicylate measurement? There is no uniform standard that I've found.

Every source has different measurements.

Thanks.

13. Pharz

Pharz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud noise
      I take every alphabet of vitamins. Every herb from East to West, North to South... I read about something, order it, and nothing has worked.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Me too.

• Like Like x 2
    15. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Have you tried Kava? That’s the only thing other than benzos that gives me reliable relief. And not the drink, only a specific pill extract.

16. nocticolor
      No Mood

nocticolor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Samesies. I’ve tried a lot of supplements. Not all of them specifically for the tinnitus, some I’ve tried for my PCOS, but none of them did anything noticeable. There’s still some stuff left for me to try like Theanine and Alpha-Lipoic Acid, but at this point I feel like I need to stop wasting my money on this. Maybe save it for when a viable treatment comes out instead.

I can’t really get your hands on Kava here in Europe, unfortunately. I’d definitely give that a try otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
    17. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have not tried Kava Kava. I will give it a shot.

18. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    19. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    20. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is, yes. That Kava Kava product is by no means a cure but seems to make my noise a bit thinner and easier to bear. The drink does not do the same for me - it just causes random effects.

21. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Which brand and how much (dosage) of Pycnogenol are you taking?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    22. Cathy Ray

Cathy Ray Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 Months ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      How much B12 and Magnesium should I take? And what is a good time to take them? Morning or night?

23. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I don't know about B12, but Magnesium is generally taken at night as it is supposed to relax you. 300 to 400 mg seems to be the usual dosage.

24. S2000gtx

S2000gtx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 22,2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is there a particular brand of Pycnogenol you recommend?

25. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      On US Amazon, there's a bottle of Source Naturals brand for $9.98. You only get 24 pills of 25 mg each, but in my opinion that's a good size to test the product. Also, Source Naturals has a good reputation.

26. Zaimon

Zaimon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Pycnogenol did nothing for me.

• Like Like x 2
    27. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Lipoflavonoid Benefits in Patients with Tinnitus

However there is a big withdrawal rate:

"In total, 719 patients received the sample; 51 patients followed through and completed a baseline symptom assessment and five surveys over 10 weeks."

28. Kam75

Kam75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced trauma in 2014 and 2019+ototoxic drug in 2020
      Interestig. I have NEVER heard about Lipoflavanoid. On Amazon it is currently unavailable.

According to the ingredients, there is nothing so special about it. It is basically a combination of various vitamins (Vitamin C, B-1, B-2, B-6, B-12...).

I don't know how this can treat tinnitus :dunno:

29. GeorgeLG
      Busy

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower incident after years of rock guitar playing
      Magnesium comes up a lot in this thread. Magnesium is essential for 100s of processes in your body and many of us have a chronic deficiency. This can lead to all kinds of problems, the list is quite long. It is required for instance in the synthesis of Glutathione, the most important antioxidant for your ears.

All forms of Magnesium are not created equally and not as absorbable. Magnesium Oxide is an example of a form that might not be as bioavailable. I use Magnesium Citrate but there are other good form such as Magnesium Glycinate. If it does not give you loose stools then you probably need that much or your body is not absorbing much. In any event taking more after loose stools in pointless because you're not using it and you may wind up with a spectacular extra curricular event, especially with air travel, or so I have heard. Some bowel preps for colonoscopies take advantage of the result of too much Magnesium.

George