Supplements & Tinnitus — What Do You Take? What Should I Take?

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by oatsey, Mar 25, 2013.

1. mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

I have had tinnitus for a month, is that too late for the Predisnone?

I'm a little hesitant to take the steroids as my tinnitus isn't brutal, more just annoying, and I suspect when the Epstein Barr virus decreases, the tinnitus may also go but that's certainly not a foregone conclusion.

2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Yeah 1 month is pretty late. Your GF might benefit more though.

• Creative Creative x 1
    3. mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

It will be extremely difficult to convince my girlfriend to go to the doctors and get a script for oral steroids.

I'm almost willing to Guinea pig the situation but 1 month is a little far. No doctor or ENT I have seen has ever mentioned Predisnone.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

temporarily banished from this plane of existence.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think that's okay because despite on how it's paraded around this forum as a silver bullet, there's actually very limited clinical data to support the idea that prednisone is useful for tinnitus at all, and when you look at tinnitus cases other than acute, severe SSHL it's basically non-existent. That is, it might help, it might not, but there's no good reason to come to one conclusion or the other based on the research that exists.

5. mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Thanks linearb. I sincerely believe that in mine and my girlfriends cases, the issue is not SSHL at all. I think we both have some strange neurological strain of Epstein Barr (if that even exists). My blood test shows acute Epstein Barr but its presenting unusual symptoms. I will continue to see doctors who may have more insight (GP's, ENT, Neurologist) but hopefully everything passes with time.

I will look to try alternative treatments (more natural) rather than blindly take powerful prescription medication with a whole shopping list of potential side effects. If anyone has been in a similar situation or wants me to update them on my progress feel free to contact me.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      These may not help you but try them:
      Ginkgo biloba (120 - 240 mg of ginkgo biloba per day)
      Magnesium (1200 mg of magnesium per day)
      N acetyl cysteine (2400 mg of n acetyl cysteine per day)
      Carnosine (3000 mg carnosine per day)
      Nicotinamide riboside (500 mg per day)
      Acetyl l carnitine (1000 mg per day)

Try the above for two months. Stick to the plan. You need higher doses of everything for maximum efficiency.

Some links I found for you, I tried to choose products that I think are best cost/quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Bounty-Ginkgo-Biloba-Capsules/dp/B002Y27JYM/
      http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-Absorption-Magnesium-Elemental/dp/B000BD0RT0/
      http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Nac-Acetyl-Cysteine-600mg-Vcaps/dp/B0013OUQ3S/
      http://www.amazon.com/Foods-L-carnosine-500mg-Vegetarian-Capsules/dp/B0013OSND8/
      http://www.amazon.com/Niagen-Nicotinamide-Riboside-capsules-bottle/dp/B00K6W5SMW/
      http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Acetyl-L-Carnitine-500mg-Vcaps/dp/B000QSLINE/

7. mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

Thank you for this info. Did this work for you? What is the cause of your T and what kind of sound is it?

8. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      This is true but the potential benefits of prednisone taken almost immediately after tinnitus onset is more likely more than any supplements you could possibly try. The side effects of steroids are usually well tolerated and the treatment course is short.

9. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Leodavinci Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic + Sudden hearing loss
      Consumer reports recent article on how multivitamins are unnecessary for most healthy people and do not increase health outcomes for others. Here is an excerpt;

"Taking a multivitamin as a nutritional insurance policy may seem like a good idea. But the truth is that there’s no proof that the pills provide any benefit for healthy people.

Many scientists have reached that same conclusion. The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, an independent group of national experts that advises the government, recently analyzed studies that included data for about 450,000 people. It found no clear evidence that multivitamins prevented cancer or heart disease, helped people live longer, or made them healthier in any way."

I don't agree with this at all. For starters I have noticed that the health community and reporters has always had a strong bias against supplements while having a freakish devotion to pharmaceuticals - including new ones handed out as samples to patients like candy. Recently I read an article that mentioned the incredible WASTE of money these 10cent per day pills represent for the whole U.S. - about 12 billion spent on supplements every year! The U.S. spends 2.8 TRILLION on health care. 12 billion spent on supplements is an unbelievable bargain if it makes a .5% improvement in our lives. It is mostly side effect free, easy and safe. Considering how horribly WRONG the medical community was about carbohydrates, fats and sugars in our diet. I am completely unwilling to trust them. Also my good friend and I have both noticed a large and quick increase in libido when taking multivitamins. I've wondered how this large effect works. Are we deficient in a nutrient and the vitamins alleviate it. Does a large dose of one of the vitamins up regulate libido? Whatever it is it seems to be a very healthy effect - no side effects and much easier sex drive.

I've only recently started taking Magnesium for T and I've always taken a multi - recently switched to Mega Foods multivitamin which sources all of its vitamins from real food. Most multis artificially synthesize the vitamins. Not sure that its necessary but seems better based on what I've read.

10. DebF
      Frustrated

DebF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/1992
      I am also taking Amberen, which is a vitamin supplement for hot flashes (yes, I am getting older...) All of the supplements in Amberen are beneficial to T.

Hope this helps! I am thoroughly convinced they have helped me survive my T. (Well, and my far infrared skull cap...(y)).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. DebF
      Frustrated

DebF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/1992
      I've gone through menopause, but still get hot flashes.... so Amberen helps?

12. Robstarr

Robstarr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subsequent to an ear irrigation procedure
      Melatonin
      ZMA
      Taurine

• Like Like x 1
    13. John G

John G Member

• Like Like x 1
    14. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      This video and what Mr Fuchs is speaking about concerning tinnitus is largely irrelevant.

Supplements of all kinds and lifestyle issues have next to nothing to do with improving tinnitus.

Maybe he would appear more convincing if he were looking at the camera, not the floor

15. sorryforusall

sorryforusall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise
      Please tell me what cordyceps are

16. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
    17. sorryforusall

sorryforusall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise
      Oh my gosh that looks deadlier then the tinnitus!

18. Andrea White
      Artistic

Andrea White Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not known, probably regular ear cleansing/syringing
      Since I noticed the arrival of Tinnitus in November 2015, a loud high pitched whistling - I've been busy trying to get some answers. The NHS in UK can't help, so I've trawled the world to see what has worked for others, and tried a few things myself. Hope this is useful to know about. So far, I've tried Ginko - just made T louder, Magnesium, Zinc, Taurine and an SSRI all had the same result. I've given up red wine/beer, caffeine etc. salt, sugar, in fact all the things that made life fun! I've had accupuncture, no change, and Mindfulness therapy - which helped me a lot in the early stages to come to terms with it. Although it is loud, I can forget about it when I'm engaged in my activities of playing Bridge, singing in the choir and painting (I am an artist). I take 3mg Melatonin although I still wake up at least a couple of times at night.

Having said all that I am going to have rTMS (repeat Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) therapy in August - it may not work, but it does seem to work for about 65% of users. I have also created a list of supplements/off label drugs which have been shown to be effective for some . T seems to be unique for each sufferer and the causes are almost certainly a bit different for everyone, so there are no certainties, but it has made me feel better to do the research and come up with the list, so if all else fails, I can do my own clinical trials on myself over the next year or so, I'm sure there is something in it that could be of help.

Before I throw myself into these trials, I am trying out the extremely healthy dietary approach, based on the idea that Myelin Sheath damage might be a reason for T, this diet is designed to help my body repair this element. This should take about 4-6 weeks to check out. If anyone is interested in the results of my researches, I'd be happy to publish them. Rather a lot of info for this post, but let me know.

• Like Like x 3
    19. Alper
      Angry

Alper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Please can you give me advice about supplements to try. I am very concerned about my life situation, I can't take the high pitch beeping anymore.....

I have for almost 14 months tinnitus after an ear infection. High screeching pitch at 14000hz.

I have so far tried these supplements and medications :
      -Prednison
      -Prednison Intratympanic injection
      -Trimetazidin ( Vastarel ) think this helped after 3 months taking, my T was much lower, but I can't say this for sure!
      -Gingko biloba
      -Melatonin ( Sometimes helps very low T , especially the next morning)
      -Magnesium

I would like to read your experience with these products that I want to use at this moment as a coktail. I will give it a go for 6 months.

- coconut oil or pills to make my body clear of any bacteries or candida and begin after this with supplements:

-Ubiquinol
      Because this form of Q10 works directly and de body doesn't have to make ubiquinol from ubiquinon. Very expensive.

- alpha lipoic acid (ALA)

- acetyl L- carnitine
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25751698/

- pycnogenol
      - magnesium
      - NAC
      -helichrysum italicum essential oil mixed with juniper oil around my ears

-magnesium

I want also to lower calories. I will try to lower sodium, salt, sugar and drink 3,5 l of water a day. Eat as possible more fruit.

I want to use all this as a coktail spreaded over the day.

Will it help, is it worth a try? This all together costs me around 225 euro each 2 months. Very expensive but I'd give double and four double of this if I knew it can lower my T.

20. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Hi all

Testing supplements, bought:

-B-complex and B12 (all in one): 1-6 daily
      -Potassium 99mg: 4 daily

Did I just imagine potassium helps? Was it magnesium...? Zinc?
      What else should I take before I try Ginko?

Just going through a process of experimentation. Have my MRI scheduled for tomorrow, have had blood tests (waiting for results) so now I want to give supplements a go...

Many thanks!

21. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I found supplements a waste of time and money unfortunately. A good balanced diet will give you everything you need. That said some have recommended Ginko from German suppliers (more pure they say). May try that myself at some point.

• Like Like x 2
    22. McMurdo
      Transparent

McMurdo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - possibly a three-month untreated sinus infection.
      I tried prednisone at very high doses and all it did was give me dark circles under my eyes that never went away. I have also tried almost all the supplements listed in this thread, plus regular Dramanine and non-Drowsy Dramamine which are said to help some people, and pycnogenol. Except Amberen--never heard of it, so have never tried it. The ONE thing that helped me besides coffee/espresso to keep a low T in the morning stay low all day (only met one other person with severe T say this!) and avoiding processed sugar and processed foods (because of the MSG/"natural flavor"--notoriously bad for T) is L-Tryptophan. I take one or two 500mg capsules before bed (you can actually take up to 4 capsules) and it helps me have more low-T days than if I don't take it. I also use helichrysum italicum oil with the same results (more low-T days than if I don't use it)--I just started a thread about that...

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I found a video that mentions how to get certain vitamins through foods that may help with tinnitus. They are mentioned around the 33 minute mark.

Tinnitus Solutions

24. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Sorry to repeat my question here, but is there a risk by combining perdisone with a HIGH dose of NAC? (and also magnesium).

25. Todd Morrison

Todd Morrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe listening/playing loud music and/or stress
      Came down with T first week of February 2017. Horrible, needless to say, chasing all the remedies and such. Will continue experimenting with all of the above mentioned supplementals is hopes of relief. However, I did find that after two-to-three glasses of wine my T disappears completely, only to come back. Last I had four cocktails and enjoyed about five hours of silence (and a good time with friends and it was worth it the escape!!!). Just thought I'd throw that out there. . . . Peace and love to all of you

26. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      No.
      But it's pointless to take HIGH dosage of NAC and Magnesium. You can take 1200 mg of NAC and for the magnesium tale what's written on your product or a bit more if you want

• Creative Creative x 1
    27. mcaulder
      Gloomy

mcaulder Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've had tinnitus for 8 months now. So can I take B complex and maybe with some luck it will quite me T?? My tinnitus has been so loud for the last 3 three days to the point of despair. Willing to try anything at this point.

28. JLGACC15

JLGACC15 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/05/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Hey Guys, I'm new to dealing with Tinnitus. Been dealing with a constant ringing noise in my left ear for the past couple of weeks. It started on a normal workday (in the office) for no apparent reason. My ENT said I have slight hearing loss in that left ear now, and is probably due to noise over time, (yard work, head phones with loud music, etc.).

I've been doing a lot of reading and seeing a lot of mixed results on supplements that can help in minimizing the ringing. I've read threads on Ginkgo, Zin, Magnessium, and a few others. My question is, for someone that is dealing with Tinnitus that is sensorial related, are there any supplements that are more geared to helping with the ringing, or am I just throwing darts at the wall hoping one of these supplements helps?

Thanks in advance!

29. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The latter, unfortunately. Some things work for some people, so trial and error is one way to proceed (with caution).

30. GamingT

GamingT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I see on board users are recommending trying Zinc, Magnesium, B12, Ginkgo Biloba, and others, looking to try but wanted to know if brand of vitamin mattered. I see Nature's Bounty, generic, etc...does brand matter or not?