Supplements & Tinnitus — What Do You Take? What Should I Take?

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by oatsey, Mar 25, 2013.

1. ACG
      Studious

ACG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I use cheaper vitamins and minerals, but if I were to try Gingko I would go with one that has the egb 761. The brand that is usually recommended is Ginkgold by Nature's Way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Single

Single Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      many causes
      Tinnitus is like inflammation in the body. It will not go away unless you know it and do something about it.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In your opinion, what can we do about it?

4. Single

Single Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      many causes
      Tinnitus is an inflammation in our body. Therefore, we fight inflammation and we will get rid of it.

5. Single

Single Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      many causes
      Not all Tinnitus are inflammations.

6. Single

Single Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      many causes
      Most of the times, Tinnitus is a form of inflammation.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How do You fight inflammation?

• Creative Creative x 1
    8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Where do you get that idea from?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It does feel like some nerves in there are inflamed...

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Maija

Maija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I started taking iodine supplement 5 weeks ago, 600 mcg per day. My T disappeared immediately, but now it is coming back again (last 2 days). This is typical for my T: It stays away for weeks, even months, and then it comes again.

So I don't know if the iodine really helps or not. It certainly helps with my hypothyreosis so I will continue taking it anyway. Maybe it helps with T, and it stops again soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      Cant even express how much I envy each and every one of you that experiences days, weeks and even months with silence. That should really spark some hope that it eventually with correct treatment would go away for good. My 4 sounds are NEVER on a break.. 20 years now and counting.

Have to start testing som supplements to see if it helps me... even a mild relief would help

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    12. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Either inflamed or not connected correctly. But somehow there should be a way to correct the nerve connections. I knew someone who had nerve back injury and it took him 6 months to recover sensation on toes on his right foot. Every now and then he gets a tingling sensation.

I'm assuming taking supplements that protect and help nerves could help but you probably would have to take them for a long time.

13. Taylorslay
      No Mood

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      I was wondering if any of these T supplements/drugs I hear about work or not. I have T from acoustic trauma. I was wondering if anyone else who has acoustic trauma takes any of these supplements and if they work?

14. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      For me personally, NAC is actually really helpful. Most of those tinnitus supplements don't seem beneficial at all, but I think NAC actually makes a difference for me in preventing tinnitus from permanently increasing after a sudden loud noise exposure. I try to take it after I get a spike after a loud noise exposure and I notice the spikes fade away much quicker. I've tried ginkgo biloba and magnesium and really didn't experience a change, or at least I didn't notice it.

• Useful Useful x 1
    15. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Yes and no. Most of the things that do help are antidotal from my experience. Check the treatment sections of the forums and have a read through some of the threads

16. sharonr

sharonr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Hi, i tried Lipo-Flavonoid Plus Ear Health Supplement which stated it was the #1 ENT doctor recommended for Tinnitus and supported by over 50 years of clinical use.
      I also tried Blackmores Ginkgo 6000 mg.

During this time my ears kept ringing but i kept persevering hoping they would improve.

Once i stopped taking them my ears improved alot.

It also comes down to diet. I find certain foods make my ears worse.

I find that Clonazepam seems to help.

Each individual is different and what works for one may not work for the other.

17. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      NAC contains magnesium. Magnesium has many benefits, but some with somatic T can get a temporary spike from magnesium because it can tighten muscles and worsen impaired skeletal responsivity. Magnesium is great for nerve inflammation. There is debate on if magnesium helps to relax temporomandibular joint dysfunction. Magnesium depletes vitamin D and calcium with those with impaired skeletal responsivity.

• Informative Informative x 2
    18. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Please list best supplements for tinnitus, I'm taking Ginkgo Biloba for 1.5 months and I don't think it's doing much.

19. ACG
      Studious

ACG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Interesting! Do you have more info or a link to that? Most of what I've read says it helps with muscles spasms and TMJ, but it sounds like you have some extra knowledge. My jaw pain seems to have decreased somewhat since starting magnesium (though I can't say it's done anything for the tinnitus).

20. Luman
      Tired

Luman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Glad you posted that, about the Ginko Biloba. I've been taking it for 3 months, and I don't think that it's helped, maybe it isn't good for some of us. A doctor that I went to, who has T himself, said it did not help him but did not say it made it worse or not. I think I'm going to give it a break for a while and see what happens.

Clonazepam helps my T a lot, on the day I take it and the next day as well, but 2 days after I take it, I feel worse than before I took it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss (?), sleep apnea, bruxism
      I may repeat myself, but please be careful with multivitamins, especially those containing Vit B6, while it's important in several functions in the body, too much can trigger pain and extra stress in the body and be neurotoxic, close as if you have Fibromyalgia, and I know what I'm talking about. I say this, because I've always used Magnesium + B6 complexes in the past, and I think they make my situation worse. I'm now testing Magnesium Bisglycinate, thanks to this forum, which is helping a lot on the relaxing side, actually best of all so far, but to be sure before you take any more B6, get a blood test done, mine where way too high, and I'm starting to feel much better now avoiding food which contains too much B6, and will for sure never take B6 as a supplement anymore, we get quite a lot with food (meat, eggs, nuts, ...) which is actually the same for most amino acids, we probably get too much of them already, so probably anything that acts like a break or balance everything better, like a little bit of Gaba etc, could be a better option imho. It may not cure your T, but it may relax you more and cope with it better, which we definitely need. peace!

22. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    23. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I also seem to benefit from NAC supplement. On two occasions I have taken it and each time my T became a little milder.

I'm just thinking, is it bad to start taking it daily? Can it harm the body? I don't know, so I am genuinely wanting to know this.

24. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I read that there's a risk of kidney stones if taken regularly. Because of this it is often suggested to take it with Vitamin C.

• Like Like x 1
    25. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Oh no, not kidney stones, I have a great fear of them.....maybe I should look into taking some vitamin C then.

I just took some NAC once again a couple of hours ago and once again my T is milder, actually as mild as it has been for several weeks. I would say it has dropped about 30-40% in volume.

26. Dan RVA

Dan RVA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not really sure
      Before my current spike, I was taking the following supplements:
      • D3 (Cholecalciferol) 400iu (this was in response to a low Vitamin D level in a blood test)
      • Magnesium (Mg Oxide) 500mg
      • Potassium (as K Chloride, K Gluconate, K Citrate, K Bitartrate, K Bicarbonate, K Sulfate)
      • B12 1000mcg
      The Magnesium and Potassium were for muscle cramps/tremors. When I run/exercise I sweat buckets and have a need to replenish both. B12 was for tingling in hands/feet.

I was also taking a PPI, 60mg of Dexilant. I stopped everything to try to get a handle ob the spike. Now I am leery of what to start adding back in. I know no more PPI's!!!

Any advice is appreciated!

27. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma, noise exposure, TMJ, neck?
      In the midst of a spike it's hard to know what to do....add or subtract meds and/or supplements? Typically PPI's don't cause tinnitus but you never know. I dropped Lamictal 25mg and my noise seems worse. I take Nexium for acid reflux.

• Like Like x 1
    28. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Dan can I suggest you dump the mag oxide that typre of mag just will not absorb well basically a waste of time if I may humbly say. you want to try swansons (your in the usa) transdermal magnesium 8 sprays is 100mg on each of the 4 limbs ,goes staright into body ,really excellant https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-dr-barbara-hendels-magnesium-oil-3-8oz-bottles-liquid

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. PamelaNY

PamelaNY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi. What is ACV? I'm referencing Colleen's post here. Thanks!

30. illegalmonkey77
      Fine

illegalmonkey77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely due to fluid in ears, and then it just stuck around.
      Apple cider vinegar.

• Like Like x 1