Taking a Vitamin D Supplement Has Improved My Tinnitus Significantly

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Lisa Szcz, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Lisa Szcz
      Amazed

Lisa Szcz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/74
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have had varying levels of tinnitus ever since I can remember! It was much better though when I lived in FL for 6 years from 2002- 2008. Since then and my move BACK to (nearly) sunless MI, it has been growing progressively worse! - Along with my anger, depression and fatigue levels! Almost to the point of insanity!

By PUSHING my Dr to check my vitamin D levels, my vitamin D levels were in the tank!! I started taking (by Rx) vitamin D2, 1.25MG on 2/26/2019. It is now March 20, 2019, and I have had a marked improvement in the ringing and in my hearing over-all! I no longer ask for someone to repeat their words to me, nor have to have the fan in my bedroom on high!

It still amazes me that we have to tell our doctors what is not only wrong with us but, how to cure it!
      I do not get paid to be my own Doctor!! Why should I have to tell HIM what to do about it??

At any rate, I have found that the vitamin D2 supplements (Rx), have made a marked improvement of my tinnitus!! I was going crazy really!! It was too much to bear along with all my other (unrelated) ailments!!

Honestly - HAVE YOUR VITAMIN D LEVELS CHECKED!

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. G H
      Curious

G H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You took Vitamin D2? Usually D3 is the one that's mostly recommended. I take large amounts of D3 (4,000UI) per day but no effect on my tinnitus. Glad it worked for you though.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Steve0

Steve0 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I just found that my Vitamin D is very low too. I had to convince my Dr to give me the blood test. I was deficient years ago too. I am really hoping this might be the reason for the significant worsening of my tinnitus over the last few months. I'm now taking supplements. It's going into winter where I live and it is cloudy and cold most of winter here... so no chance of sun.

• Winner Winner x 2
    4. CMIH

CMIH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Here's an article about vitamin D from Harvard Medical School. It doesn't address tinnitus though.

My multivitamin includes 1000 IU of vitamin D3, which they indicate is 250% of the daily recommend amount.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Taking large amounts of D3 too - 20,000 a week for eight weeks.

I feel a bit ill on it though? I keep having flu like symptoms and stomach cramps, which I'm sure is the opposite of what's supposed to happen. Though this could also be because I came off ADs at the same time (nearly two months ago, so thought I would be alright by now.)

Think Tinnitus is slightly worse, but hard to be a good judge of that when I've stopped ADs and anxiety is all over the place. Think I'm going to top up with magnesium chelate, as I know vit D can deplete magnesium and this makes Tinnitus worse.

• Informative Informative x 3
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You might want to take a blood test to get a sense of how high or low your vitamin D is right now. I remember taking vitamin D for a long time, only to discover that my vitamin D was still low. Once I switched to a different brand, it had finally increased.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      I had a blood test to see if I was low on anything and I came back with a 13 for vit D, hence the tablets, and have another blood test in a month or so to see if it has worked. Hope I haven't been taking them all this time for nothing! Brand I use is Aviticol.

I'm also right on the lowest point for D12 so should maybe take some tablets for that as well. I doubt any of it will make a difference though :(

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    9. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Lol, thanks for the sarcastic rating @Bill Bauer

I was only saying that vitamins don't seem to be working for me.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I didn't mean to come off as sarcastic. I was trying to convey that I am hopeful that your vitamin D would go up. Many years ago, I Had been diagnosed as being deficient when it comes to vitamin D, and ever since that time I have been making sure that this doesn't happen again.

During the summer, I practice sun tanning. I time myself to ensure that I don't do more than 10-15 minutes on each side of my body. This is enough to ensure that there is no visible tan (=evidence of skin damage), while providing my body with vitamin D. During the rest of the year I take vitamin D pills whenever I eat anything that has fat in it (which doesn't happen too often), as vitamin D requires fat to be absorbed by the body.

11. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Oh I see, sorry! I thought it was quite unlike you.

I'll give it a go. Not much sun where I am, but anything that might help is worth a shot. Didn't know about the fat thing - I eat almost no fat because I'm vegetarian.

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I also eat mostly fruits and vegetables. As a result, my triglyceride level was been at the lowest end of the normal range. This year I read that the latest research indicates that fat, even saturated fat, is not as dangerous as the researchers had once thought. I began eating more eggs and yogurt than I used to. I will want to find out what effect this has had on my triglyceride levels.
      Check out
      https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-vitamin-d-is-too-much#section1
      Check out
      https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-fat-do-i-need-to-absorb-vitamind/
      and
      https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fat-soluble-vitamins#vita
      The amount of sun might be more than you think. Find out the coordinates of where you are (use a minus sign for West longitude), including your elevation and use
      to find out how many minutes in the sun will give you a sunburn on any given day of the year during the summer. Note that when you sunbathe while wearing a swimsuit, about 40% of your body is being exposed on each side. For example when you use 40% in that calculator, you might find that if your goal is to get 5000 units of vitamin D, you will need to stay 20 minutes in the sun. This means that you can get 5000 units in 20 minutes while lying on your back and another 5000 units while lying on your stomach.

This year I began multitasking - I lift weights while I get my vitamin D from the sun. I move my arms around while ensuring that the I keep two dumbbells off of the ground. It feels good, and will hopefully help me to avoid losing too much muscle mass as I age.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. yup

yup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      diving
      Hi, wanted to say that I was found to have acutely low Vit D levels in January this year. Since taking supplements, I have found my tinnitus improving slightly. I will see how it pans out as it gets real loud in the winter.

14. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      Do not take Vitamin D without Vitamin K2. K2 is mandatory. Not taking that will make the Vitamin D not be absorbed well. I just saw this thread, and I know it's old, but felt it absolutely needed to be said.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      If you live in a sunny country you do not need vitamin D tablets.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Artemis2K
      Kick ass

Artemis2K Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. Got bad later.
      That depends on how often someone goes outside. I'm not that active.

17. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Under the right circumstances, 10 to 15 minutes of sun on the arms and legs a few times a week can generate nearly all the vitamin D we need.

18. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      This is simply not true. People can have a host of health issues that involves the inability to derive vitamins from naturally available sources. Also, the best site to derive natural vitamin d in your body is actually from your palms.
      You mean 1.25mcg, right? I’m pretty sure 1.25mg of vitamin d could be going into hypervitaminosis territory.

19. Alexandor Scott

Alexandor Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hey Bill! I've been told by my doctor I need to supplement with vitamin D for a bit, as my levels are a bit low. I'm curious, did you find that it had any negative impact on your tinnitus? I don't want to make things worse for myself by increasing my tinnitus just for a few months of increased vitamin D levels (until the sun is back out come April).

20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I haven't noticed any impact (positive or negative) on tinnitus.

For about a year now, instead of taking the pills or sunbathing, once every week or two I have been eating a can of cod liver. It tastes great, and it is my understanding that consuming cod liver allowed the Vikings to not suffer from vitamin D deficiency.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1