Taking Control

Discussion in 'Support' started by SueR, Dec 10, 2013.

1. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Okay, so I just found this site, and I actually haven't been evaluated for H yet, but I'm pretty sure that is what it is. Some of you might think it's odd that I am "taking charge" so quickly, but anyone who knows me knows this is my MO. Even when I found out my son was blind (so we were told at the time), I initially cried, then went into education mode (and followed shortly by advocacy). That turnaround was hours. I still had my boo-hoo moments, but education and proactiviteness dominated. (later found out he wasn't totally blind, like we were told, but was "low vision"... and few years later determined he was hearing impaired too.)

anyway, point is... I'm going to re-join life. I've been waiting for this thing to pass, and I'm learning that it doesn't pass as quickly as I was hoping, and waiting (= isolating) is the wrong approach.

I'm a little hesitant though, to start my plans for Bogota. We are supposed to go in April, dependent on holidaay bonus. My son, Alex, went to Germany in April in his senior year. Aaron wants to go to Bogota andthe Amazon for his trip his senior year. I'm not in pain... just sensitive to noise. I think I can figure a way too manage this by April. ...still hesitant though! and I either need to start planning soon, or pack it in. Aaron would be so disappointed! he already gets the crap end of the stick, being a twin with multiple disabilities, and his twin is already off to college. I don't want to take his trip from him too. Plus, i get to see my college BFF who lives down there.

Has anyone flown with H? I will work extremely hard in desensitizing myself... I'll do whatever it takes. (afraid I will fall short tho! ...if it's that easy, you'd all do it!)

2. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      I haven't flown with hyperacusis, but I've heard others use ear plugs.

Also until you get your loudness discomfort levels assessed you can play low level pink noise in the background for a couple hours or more. They might recommend you do that anyway.

You can make a lot of progress by April, probably even be back to normal.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      That is very encouraging! I keep going back and forth between encouraged and discouraged.

4. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Yes, I took a 2 hour flight about 2 months after onset. It didn't affect my T or H. The only thing I felt very uncomfortable was the sound of the jet engines when entering and leaving the plain of course, but it didn't increase anything afterwards. Bring plugs.

• Like Like x 1