Talk about Balding

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Fish, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Hello...

The matter I would like to write about is not related to tinnitus so I chose general chat for this.

I must admit that I show early first signs of balding... :) tinnitus-related stress has taken it's toll I guess haha. I don't treat it as a big deal but during a check-up with my GP I casually asked if there is something that helps to prevent hair loss and he was very happy to quickly prescribe me "Propecia".

I checked that drug online and was shocked to find that it's infamously known to cause permanent erectile dysfunction among other severe hormone-related problems. There are numerous websites for sufferers and several ongoing class-action lawsuits against the manufacturer as attempts to take the drug down from the market.

Why do I mention this? Because the whole story is awfully similar to the incident last year, when I took ototoxic pills that possibly have left me with permanent tinnitus. Lesson learned, now I know better to investigate everything before taking it.

Please be very careful and don't take any drugs unless you really have to. Check them thoroughly before you take them. Ask for safer alternatives.

• Like Like x 1
    2. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I second that. As I've asked doctors over the past several weeks about side effects of the medications I'm taking I am amazed at how little they know about them. The biggest problem in medicine is the reliance of doctors on medications. For the vast majority of them the first thing they do is reach for their prescription pad. Either doctors have all been brainwashed by pharma companies into thinking that their job is to prescibe pills, or they are just plain lazy. Its nuts in my opinion. Get down to basics and first identify the root cause of a problem, then come up with a solution, preferrably one that does not involve taking drugs with side effect as bad or worse than the problem they are purported to solve. A lot of side effects affect only a small percentage of the population, but doctors don't seem to worry about that. They just write such people off as unlucky rather than putting in the due diligence to attempt to find out ahead of time whether a certain patient may be susceptible or not. It is often noted in the prescribing info who might be susceptible, but to even read that is too much work for doctors.

One time I mentioned that I thought some drug I was taking was causing a side effect (I think it was an antibiotic I was taking). The doctor said there's no way the drug would cause that. I said its listed as a known side effect in the prescribing information. He said they have to put everything in there that comes up in clinical trials with the drug, so if one of the individuals gets a broken leg from a car accident they have to list it in the side effects. I was astonished that the guy would really believe that. All I can say is I would bet there have many people involved in drug trials who broke a leg or arm or had to get stiches during the trial, and I've yet to see such a side effect listed for any drug I've read up on - and believe me I've read the side effects for probably hundreds of drugs.

Another story - I had severe Achilles tendinosis for several years and discussed it with my doctor one day (same doctor as mentioned above). A few days later I came down with an infection and called him for an antibiotic. He prescrigbed Cipro. I picked the medication up, and when I read the prescribing information, the first side effect listed (in big black letters) was "known to cause tendon rupture". Obviously, the guy was not into details. I informed him of the issue, and he reluctantly gave me a prescription for a different antibiotic.

As a fan of the old X Files television series, all I can say is "Trust no one - especially doctors." My experience is that as a rule they are a strange bunch.

• Like Like x 1
    3. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      The more we question what doctors prescribe and carefully read the side effects and contraindications the better off we all would be.

My T more than likely came from a BP drug. Of course I got off of them when I saw the "side effects" after taking them for many years and am doing just fine without them. Silly doctors!!!

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Propecia, gosh!

My friend was prescribed that for the first signs of MPB and he immediately noticed a reduction of sexual performance, or should I say a complete lack of.

He did get back to normal after stopping the drug, but...

Doctors generally don't mention side effects in good enough detail. It sucks a patient needs to do their own research and not being able to trust the doctor 100%. Too bad too many people don't know well enough and blindly do and take whatever a doc prescribes. Some people then learn the hard way :(

BTW, I'm going bald too. Slowly but I'm getting there :) I don't mind though, I like cutting my hair short, but it can be a big deal to some for whom hair is important. A bit like tinnitus, can cause great distress for some, and some just shrugs their shoulders and keep going.

Bald people unite!

5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Bald is so IN now Markk!!!!

I have seen one or two "natural" remedies for balding....hahaha... but you may not want me to suggest them. I'd have to look around again for them. Oh what the heck... I will post for you when I came across them again.

6. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      A bald head on men these days is popular. But some men just shave it off so the male pattern balding isn't so obvious.

Bruce Willis is one of my favorite actors. He looks cool bald and I have adjusted to that look on him.

However, if you prefer to restore that full head of hair, there may be some natural ways you can try out.

I have been noticing while researching on the internet common (and not so common) natural things people can try.

Please add your findings or ways you know of that can stop and or reverse balding along with ones I came up with.

Oh, and if you start one of these "remedies" please share your results!

My first one is Emu Oil. I started using the oil over two months ago for my dry aging skin.

EMU OIL INSTITUTE - Emu Oil for Hair Loss

What causes hair loss?
      We've all grown up listening to stories about what causes hair loss: vitamin deficiencies, poor circulation to the scalp, too much hat wearing, etc. Surprisingly, these theories have been disproved. Hair loss, according to experts, is caused by a combination of aging, hormonal changes and family history of baldness. Hair loss can be permanent if destruction occurs to the hair follicle, or, it may just be temporary due to transitory damage to the follicles.
      SkinHairTextSm.JPG
      In men, testosterone is converted to DHT (dihydratestosterone) within the hair follicle. Testosterone is converted to DHT by an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase, which is produced in the prostate, the scalp and various adrenal glands. Over time, DHT causes hair follicles to degrade and shortens their anagen, or active phase. Technically, the follicle is still alive and connected to a good blood supply. Some follicles will die, but most will simply shrink in size and produce weaker hairs. The shorter anagen growing cycle means more hairs are shed and remaining hairs become so thin that they cannot survive daily wear and tear, according to experts. Hairs in balding areas gradually change from long, thick, colored hairs into fine, unpigmented, fuzzy hairs.

What can be done about Hair Loss?
      That's a good question! If the hair follicle has died, there is no hope for hair regrowth. However, if the hair follicle is just "sleeping", many consumers report an "awakening" of the hair follicle with the use of Emu oil! Emu oil is an all-natural tissue nutrient; by applying it to the skin, it helps make the skin become healthy and alive again.

There are other products on the market today that are heavily promoted for Hair Loss...let's take a look at some of them and compare:
      Minoxidil - this is a class of drugs originally used to treat high blood pressure. Pharmacists call this drug "dose-dependent", meaning treatment must be continued in order to maintain or increase hair growth benefits. It is the drug found in such products as Rogaine and HealthGuard. Pregnant or nursing women should avoid this substance in both oral and topical forms. According to reports, oral minoxidil can cause a fall in blood pressure, and increase in heart rate and weight gain (fluid retention). This product is also quite pricey.
      Finasteride - a prescription drug marketed in tablet form. It costs about $55.09 for a one month supply. Side effects include decreased libido and groin aches.

Having said all that, let's talk about something safe and affordable: Emu Oil !
      Michael Hollick, MD, Ph.D., Professor of Medicine, Physiology, and Dermatology at Boston University School of Medicine conducted a study involving emu oil and hair growth. His study found that there was a 20% increase in growth activity of skin that received emu oil, compared to skin that received corn oil. Looking at the hair follicles, Dr. Hollick realized they were much more robust, the skin thickness was remarkably increased, suggesting that emu oil stimulated skin growth and hair growth. Additionally, the study showed that over 80% of hair follicles that had been "asleep" were woken up, and began growing. This is what emu oil may do for you!

We recommend massaging a small amount of emu oil into the hairless or thinning area of the scalp three times per day, if possible. In the evening or on weekends, apply a greater amount of emu oil to the scalp and leave on for 20-30 minutes, then wash hair with a mild shampoo or Longview Farms.com ADVANCE (ril) Emu Oil Shampoo. If your hair follicles were in a sleep state, you should notice signs of regrowth in 30-90 days.

7. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Here are a few submission from on line users of http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=22

Home Remedy Topic: Balding

Submitted by tropic
      Wash your hair with baking soda. 2 tablespoons of baking soda (bicarb soda.. same thing)in about 2-3 cups of warm water.Stir until baking soda dissolved and pour it slowly over your hair while scrubing your hair like you would if using shampoo.Rince. Your hair will be squeaky clean just like using shampoo but with no 'sodium laurel sulphate' which many people believe is the cause of baldness.

Submitted by Assaf CK
      Hello,

Maybe one could try Magnesium. I believe that deficiency in Magnesium, could cause an over excitation of the limbic system, which might lead to hairless, in the longer term. Things which might cause a Magnesium deficiency are, I think, a large amount of exercise, tooth or bone damage, tea or coffee, refined foods etc.

Submitted at 2012-06-01 13:08:25
      I continue trying it. I noticed I no longer have exclamation mark hairs. I wonder if it is the magnesium or the fact I let my hair grow longer. I think there is some improvement in my hair's 'stress'.

Submitted at 2012-07-24 16:32:49
      I am still using it. There a numerous new hairs, at the length of about half a cm, perhaps a little more.

8. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Found this on alopecia for the Emu Institute

The Emu Oil Institute

dogprofessor.jpg

What is Alopecia Areata?
      This is a common disease that results in the loss of hair on the scalp, and may occur elsewhere on the body. Hair loss may begin with one or more smaller patches, and effects both males and females.

In Alopecia Areata, the affected hair follicles become very small and slow down production. Hair may not be visible above the surface for months or years after loss occurs. The most commonly affected area is the scalp, but the beard or any hair growth site can be affected.
      This disease is somewhat unpredictable; some people develop only a few bare patches that regrow hair within a year. With others, there is extreme hair loss on the scalp, leaving them completely bald (alopecia totalis). When hair loss occurs from the entire scalp and body, this is called alopecia universalis. The positive side to this hair loss is that the hair follicles remain alive and are ready to resume normal hair production when they receive the proper signal from the body. Since this affliction is unpredictable, hair regrowth may occur even without treatment and even after many years.

Why Does Alopecia Areata Occur?
      No one is 100% sure, but it is currently believed that hair follicles are suppressed by the body's immune system. It is not known whether the trigger comes from outside the body or inside the body. Indications are that some persons may have genetic markers that increase susceptibility to alopecia areata, thus it may be somewhat hereditary. In one out of five people who develop alopecia areata, another family member also has it. Genetic links may also include families whose members have had asthma, hay fever, atopic eczema, or other autoimmune diseases such as early-onset diabetes, thyroid disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus.

Emu Oil Use for Alopecia Areata
      Since hair can definitely grow back, even after years of extensive hair loss, those who suffer from alopecia areata may want to try Emu Oil on the sleeping hair follicles. Emu Oil contains a multitude of EFA's which help to "feed" the skin. Consumers who suffer from natural forms of baldness have reported hair regrowth. The good news in these reports is that Emu Oil helps stimulate and awaken the sleeping hair follicle. Since Alopecia Areata only suppresses the hair follicle (vs. killing the hair follicle), Emu Oil may have an effect to assist with hair regrowth. Applying Emu Oil topically, as well as ingesting Emu Oil gel caps may give the hair follicle the EFA's needed for good health and hair regrowth.

To our knowledge, current medical treatments do not turn alopecia areata off; they stimulate the follicle to produce hair again, and treatments need to be continued until the disease turns itself off. Unfortunately the current treatment for this disease is direct injections of cortisone into the bare skin patches, normally once a month. Other treatments include the use of topically applied minoxidil, cortisone creams and anthralin cream. Anthralin is a synthetic, tar-like substance, which can cause brownish discoloration of the treated skin.

Emu Oil is an all-natural food by-product. As an alternative to harsh medicines and synthetic substances, Emu Oil can be used without fear of toxicity, skin discoloration or physical side effects.
      No information contained within the pages of emu-oil.com should be construed as medical advice. We are not doctors. Please contact your physician for medical advice. We make no medical claims, expressed or implied.

9. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      Try the far infrared skull cap I have been wearing, which I bought from www.firheals.com. I bought it to try for my T, but I think my hair has gotten much thicker since starting to wear it about 8 weeks ago. It is not the best fit in the world, but it seems to have made hair grow. Maybe it will work for you too.

Far infrared treatments are available in the US at salons and Drs offices at an expensive price for the treatments. Much stronger than this, I am sure. My $37 US find may help. Its an ugly hat though. Not one you would want to wear out of the house unless you want to start a bad trend...

10. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Ok... I see the cap. http://www.firheals.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=86&product_id=70

Looks like what a medical doctor would wear.

There is no electrical attachment? Opps.. I looked it up on that site. They use fibers

http://www.firheals.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_63
      How can the bio-ceramic emit far infrared? Will there be any side effects? While, the principle is very simple. It is a well-known fact that human body constantly emits thermo energy. When the bio-ceramic is stimulated by the thermo energy of human body, it converts it into the far infrared rays and reflects it back into the human body. So the far infrared ray emitted by the far infrared fiber is really powered by our own body and there are no known side effects.

11. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011

This is what the site says about hair: Far Infrared Therapy has also been shown to aid the process of weight loss, to promote the growth of new hair, to improve immune system and the overall health. http://www.firheals.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_65

12. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      So sworthi245, I am questioning abut the claim of promoting the growth of new hair. If you are going bald wouldn't it seem better to promote the renewed growth? Maybe just a nit picky thing... :)

Oh and the site says: Stimulate the hypothalamus, which controls the production of neuro-chemicals involved in such biological processes as sleep, mood, pain sensations, and blood pressure
      Have you seen any difference in the above other than your hair?

Has your tinnitus changed since wearing it?

13. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      I wish I could provide you with a more methodical approach to the whole situation. Unfortunately, I have nothing to measure against because I have never experienced this before. I know that I am doing better overall compared to three months ago. Everyday seems to be a little better that before. So, I think, rightly or wrongly, that I am getting better. I don't know where I will land long term.

I am sleeping extremely well compared to others in the forums. I never attributed the cap to sleeping, but it could be the case. In fact, I want to sleep more than anything these days. I am having my thyroid checked this week because of it. I will let you know the results.

On the FIR website, in regards to the cap, they did make the statement that it may affect your dreams. The first week or so that I had it, I would wear it and fall asleep in a chair watching TV. I would have these strange sensations that would wake me up kind of in a jerk. It happened several times over the first week, and then it seemed to stop. I also experienced that the first few times I tried to sleep in it. For some reason, I could not sleep with it on my head in the bed. I only "wear" it while awake.

Again, I have no methodology for this except that it seems to soothe my head and the buzzing I experience at the end of the day. I wore it this morning for several hours before showering, and seemed to have a good day. Quiet ears, very mild noise. It is higher now because I have been out all day. Going to put on my cap until bedtime. Will keep you updated.

14. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      Unfortunately, a lot of my hair has broken and thinned over the past year due to aging. (Don't make me say the M word.) I got my hair done Friday, and my stylist commented that my hair was nice and shiny. I did not tell her about the cap. Again, all I can say from my own experience is that my hair seems thicker and feels better. I am also using a FIR hair dryer that I bought off of Ebay.

I do think I am doing much better based on the situation. Again, I have nothing else to compare it to except life prior to T. I would say I am surviving well and feel like a human most days.

15. Juri

Juri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Even being female, I have to agree on really checking through every possible side effects before even placing any pill in your system. My doc gave me pills that made my symptoms worse. It was like being cheated on. Hope the effects aren't permanent.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Juri if you are OK with that - would you tell what pills did your doctor prescribe you? It might be good to know what drugs we should be careful with!

17. Juri

Juri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Oh yes, it was Betaserc. My head started feeling cramped, I felt dizzy and my t got louder right after taking it.
      But it seems to work for others. Guess I better go post this bit in the treatment forum, seems there's a thread for it already.

18. Grant1

Grant1 Member

I have been using propecia/proscar/finasteride since about 2001.

It stopped my hair loss.

My libido is as strong or stronger as it has ever been.

19. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @Fish,

It's weird that hair loss is defined as a medical illness (MPB) but not T. Makes you wonder when T is going to get the attention it demands. Male Pattern Baldness is obviously totally harmless physically but can be a real mental strain. Let's get one thing straight, there are NO cures for MPB! As with T it's a real snake oil business and all the "miracle" remedies does is to increase the circulation, you can see this when adding it to your skin cause it gets red. If there was a true cure against hair loss then we would know about it in all media and that company would have struck gold. The hair sacks are dead so there's no way of creating magic like that, I've seen some products thats supposed to prevent further hair loss but I can't really say I trust them. It's a big business so I guess we will continue to see bogus products flowing the shelfs.

In my mind transplant surgery like FUE is the best treatment out there until hair cloning gets around. Theres been some really promising cloning attempts with rats. Cloning is really the only way of getting your own hair back in addition to transplants.

20. Robb09
      Alienated

Robb09 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      buzzing shaver/laptop fan whine/pellet gun/music/caff/wax/ eardrum red
      I saw Rogaine on the commerical on Tv, do those work? Theres even Rogaine for both male and women