Talked to a Psychologist Who Has Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by G61, Jun 13, 2017.

1. G61

G61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head and neck trauma
      I need to see a psychiatrist for medication. Before that, I needed to be evaluated by a psychologist/MFT.
      Today, I talked to a psychologist who happened to have the severe reactive tinnitus similar to my tinnitus except that she doesn't have hyperacusis but she has a profound hearing loss in one ear.

The evaluation is a typical evaluation but I'm so glad to talk to someone who can truly understand my situation. She is so amazing that she has been working as a therapist for 15 years under these extreme circumstances.

• Like Like x 3
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I would just like to ask. Are you going to be paying for this treatment? If so, I advise you to be careful as some people are not what or who they appear to be. I do not think there is such a thing as "reactive tinnitus" This so called reactive tinnitus, in my opinion is nothing more than Hyperacusis, that can be treated using sound enrichment or in more severe cases wearing white noise generators.
      Michael

3. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Glad you found someone sympathetic. However be mindful that their experience is not yours and professionally they should be able to draw that boundary. Some can't however and it turns into they think they know your experience better than you do and don't offer objective advice.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      G61

G61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head and neck trauma
      Michael, it is not a treatment. It's just a mental health evaluation. So that, I can see a psychiatrist.
      She did not sell me anything. The only harm she can make is to mess up with my evaluation.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Okay thanks for letting me know. I just mentioned what I did as there are a lot of charlatans and con-artists out there just after making a quick buck out of people in misery. Very sad but often true....
      I wish you well
      Michael