Tapering Off Prednisone, Fire Alarm Went Off Today

Discussion in 'Support' started by AbidingByGrace, Feb 20, 2018.

1. AbidingByGrace

AbidingByGrace Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/29/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Freq. Inner Ear Trauma (BlueTooth Headset) + Stress + ?
      I was on 60mg Prednisone for 3 days, then 40mg for 2 days when I asked for a dosage increase. I took another 8 days at 60mg, then 2 days at 50mg, and 3 days at 40mg. So I've been on it for 18 days already... Tomorrow I was supposed to take my first of 3 days at 30mg, then 3 days at 20mg, then 3 days at 10mg. So today was 40mg.

The fire alarm in our building went off right in my room and I immediately covered my ears with my hands, but had to get the kids out of the building so I couldn't run out. I am still having a spike 12 hours later. Do I continue to taper off Prednisone? What would you do? This stuff isn't candy. I'm scared of being on it and scared of what is going to happen as I come off of it. :(

I need advice. Thank you.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think that the fact that you have been taking prednisone is already helping your body to deal with this new trauma. If I were you, I might take the full dose for another day or two and then I would feel ok about tapering off.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AbidingByGrace

Tinnitus Since:
      1/29/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, Bill. Do you think 40mg for another day or two would be okay, or would I need to go back up to 60mg? I'm not sure I have enough left to taper back down sufficiently.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think 40 mg is "up there" (being very close to the full dose). Also, it sounds like you are not experiencing a big spike.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AbidingByGrace

Tinnitus Since:
      1/29/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you! :)

6. lucy_snow

lucy_snow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss/ibuprofen
      Hi, does your tinnitus faded after the prednisone? :)

7. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      wow, watch out.
      18 days of predisone is a serious while, you do need to be careful and taper down accordingly. Do not change your dose without consulting your doctor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AbidingByGrace

Tinnitus Since:
      1/29/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Ericka. My sound is still there, but is now varying in tone and volume--which my doctor says is promising as it could mean the nerves are healing. I do still have loud spikes. The spike from the fire alarm lasted 2 days. Thank you for asking! :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AbidingByGrace

Tinnitus Since:
      1/29/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are right.

From what I have researched, 14 days of 60mg + a taper is the standard for treatment. On Day 18 I was already tapering down.

10. lucy_snow

lucy_snow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss/ibuprofen
      Hi, it's me again :) How is your tinnitus treatment going? You had your tinnitus on 1/29/18 when did you start your prednisone treatment? Do you think is it worth trying prednisone treatment 1 month from tinnitus onset? Thank you for the answers :)

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AbidingByGrace

Tinnitus Since:
      1/29/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Ericka. :) I had to have a hearing test first and didn't get a prescription for Prednisone until 2/1. I am tapered off now. I have read different things about the timeline of the window of effectiveness for Prednisone treatment post-onset. If it were me, I would say it is worth a shot 1 month from T onset. Prednisone is a strong medicine though, so you'll have to weigh the risks.

My sound was loud like a fire alarm or a high pitched buzzing and now my sound varies in volume and tone. My hyperacusis seems to be settling down a bit as well. My T & H are both still there and I do get loud spikes, but I am hopeful my nerves are healing or I am habituating. (Healing would be preferable!) I am taking lots of different supplements and am trying to keep my stress level down as much as possible to get my body out of a state of "red alert".

Did you have a recent spike? Your profile says your onset was 9/21/17. What caused your T?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AbidingByGrace

Tinnitus Since:
      1/29/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I spoke with a moderator about deleting my post, but he said I was asking for advice and not trying to mislead anyone so he kept it.

13. lucy_snow

lucy_snow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss/ibuprofen
      Hi Kim,
      thank you very much for the answer :)
      I developed my tinnitus 9/21/17 but then i had prednisone treatment and it did help me with it.
      This time i had my tinnitus once again on 07/03/18, but i was just out of the hospital where i was treated with prednisone for my flu complications (ear infections) so i started a new prednisone course once again 10/03/18 (second time in one month) but it isn't doing much with my tinnitus. Tomorrow i'm tapering. So i thought maybe to give it a try once again after one month...
      I know prednisone is harsh, but to me tinnitus is harsher...
      I have a mild hearing loss so my doctor is saying that my tinnitus is because of that. Maybe.
      Because i think it is from Ibuprofen because my ears started rang after i took one tablet of Ibuprofen (my head was in a huge pain).
      I know, it's a little bit complicated :)
      I also take magnis, zinc, cavinton, thiogamma.
      And i think i will try prednisone treatment once again.
      I hope that you will heal also!
      If i could next time i will write to you by PM :)