"Tch" Sound in Ear When Speaking or Loud Noises

Discussion in 'Support' started by Maaggel, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Maaggel

Maaggel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Operation or something else
      Hello.

The short version:
      I'm getting a loud "Tch" sound when I start and stop talking (or when there's loud noices).
      If I rest it seams the problem goes away a short while.

The full version:
      I've been quite distressed the past two weeks. And hoped someone in here could help me figure out whats happening in my ear.

A few years ago I had my ear drum punctured, and I didn't get it fixed untill two years later (stupid, I know).
      When I had it fixed, it turned out there was a gab between the bones in my ear, and I've since then had four operations to fix it.
      My last operation was about two months ago, and even though my hearing wasn't improved much, it had removed my tinnitus caused by a "broken" (loose) bone.

But about two weeks ago, my ear started acting up.
      Every time I talk, or when there's a loud noice I get a "Tch" sound in my ear.
      It's only happening when I start talking, and when I stop - so if I speak fast, it will happen at the start and end of the sentence. I might be the function in the ear that protects the ear from loud noices?

It's very very distracting, but I've found out, that if I rest my ear - like when I wake up - my ear won't act up right away, but only once I've spoken for a while. So relaxing seems to build up "resistance".

My doctor checked me a few days ago, since I was expecting something to be on my eardrum. I thought that perhaps something was left after the operation, but everything looked fine.

My biggest concern here is if it's permanent!? So I guess I'm hoping someone else might have experienced the same thing and can give me some good news?
      I might get another operation since the last one didn't improve my hearing that much - but to be honest, I'm going out of my mind and can't concentrate at all with the current problem.

Kind regards,
      Mikkel

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You are suffering from Tonic tensor tympani syndrome (TTTS)... For more information about this condition, search this forum or google it. Often it goes away on its own (as it did in my case) but this might take 6-12 months.

3. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      How long did it take for you to go away?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It became mild/minor after about 6 months, and was mostly gone by month 12...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maaggel

Maaggel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Bill Bauer! This helped quite alot.
      I've read up on this, especially this article:
      http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/do-i-have-tonic-tensor-tympani-syndrome-ttts/

All the symptoms fit! And just knowing what is is has helped me quite alot!..

After my operation I could hear my own pulse in my ear for nearly two months, and I've just been through a very stressed period of time at my job for the past two weeks. So I'm hoping it won't take 6-12 months for mine to go away.

If I talk in a low voice, and avoid any loud noises - like headphone on the bad ear etc. then I can keep the "tch" sound away - so hopefully I got a mild case. But just knowing that it can/will go away, and that nothing is "broken" in my ear, is helping me quite alot.

But what is the best cause for dealing with this?
      I've read that it's an anxiety based thing - so is it best to ignore it and just speak normally etc. - but of cause still avoid loud noises? Or is it best to try not to trigger the sound in my ear and give the ear as much rest as possible?

Once again - than you very much!

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have been avoiding moderate noises like that of a vacuum cleaner or a hair dryer. I have no idea whether this had helped me to overcome my TTTS.
      I tried to minimize the triggers. Mine was very bad during the first month. It began several days before my T began. I discovered that there are few published medical studies about TTTS. So I am not really sure what else one could do besides trying to avoid noise and waiting for it to get better...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maaggel

Maaggel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll try to minimize the noise.
      I've been managing most of the day (it's 13:36 here ind Denmark), but during the lunch the sounds of plates being stacked etc. triggered it quite alot - so I've been using ear plugs during the lunch.

Hopefully it'll get better soon. I'm to be married in august - and I would hate for it to be triggered at the music and all the other noises.

Once again, thank you.
      I have a post-operation check-up with my doctor 5th. april, so I'll talk to him about it, and hopefully he can give me some more advice.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You might consider making sure that the music is not too loud and that you are seated far from the musicians and the speakers.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maaggel

Maaggel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I guess you're right.

But luckely we don't have music during the dinner, only after when the "party" begins.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maaggel

Maaggel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I thought I would make a follow up on my "tch" sound issue (TTTS):

In january last year, I was operated in my ear, and about a month later my TTTS started.

It became worse over about a month, and after that it stayed the same for some time. But suddenly one day in april, I woke op and my TTTS was alot better. The "tch" sound in my ear only happened if I talked at, or above, a normal volume - or if I had to speak for a longer period (in meeting at work etc.). And after that it slowly became better.

Since I was to be married mid August, I wanted to try to improve it - so I tried going to a sports masseuse, and had her focus on my shoulders, neck and just below the ear. First I thought it had gotten worse, since the "tch" should happened when I spoke at my normal volume - but after a day it actually got quite a bit better. So I went back to her and had the same treatment a few times, and I was actually symptom free the whole wedding day (due the all the talking, the day after showed a few symptoms - but not much).

Now, since then, my TTTS has disappeared completely!
      I do still have tinnitus (a pulsing "wind" sound and a high pitched tone) in that ear - but since my hearing is severely impaired in the ear I've been operated in - that's to expect. I'm planned to have yet another surgery in November.

So if you got TTTS - keep up the spirit! It will disappear! But unfortunately it might take some time. For me it was about 8-9 months, with the first 6 being the worst!

Now since then I've had some problems in my other ear resulting in a similar situation! This wasn't TTTS though - But I've started a conversation about this here:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...e-click-pop-should-in-ear-when-talking.35327/

My advices:
      1. Speak at a lower volume than you normally would - and explain to people why this is so.
      2. Get A LOT of sleep! This might make the symptoms a bit better (it did for me).
      3. Do not use headphones of any kind - I used headphones the whole day at work - and even on a low volume where it didn't trigger my TTTS, it still made it easier for the sound to appear when speaking if I used headphones during the day.
      4. Relax your shoulders and sit up straight when working - a tense shoulder/neck might worsen the symptoms.

TL : DR
      My TTTS has gotten way better - and is completely gone. But it took about 9 months.
      I've had good results with massages, but it didn't remove it - but made it slightly better for a few days.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maaggel

Maaggel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do know one solution that can "cure" TTTS though - but I wouldn't advice it.

My doctor told me, that if it didn't get any better after a year or two - he could sever the the muscle/string that's the problem when having TTTS.

TTTS is due to the muscle in the ear that normally protects the ear from loud noices is too tight/in overdriver. And cutting this muscle should remove the noices completely - but this would remove the "loud noice protection" aswell - permanently!